Garfield (The movie) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Garfield (The movie)

Smokey
03-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Man, was this movie boring

Garfield is not one of my favorite sunday comic charactor, and the movie in any way changed that perception. Garfield is computer generated in this live action film with rescue-a-friend plot we have seen many times before (and doner better).

Bill Murray that does Garfiled voice is probaly the weakest link here as he sounds incredibly disinterested and bored. And live action scenes does not fare better as you can see the void in scenes where CGI fills in. And CGI had alot to fill in with over sized Garfield.

Avoid at all cost :)

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/garfield-odie_1086958694.jpg

TheHills44060
03-08-2012, 05:34 AM
I liked the cartoon as a kid but that computer made Garfield looks ridiculous.

RGA
03-11-2012, 07:52 AM
I'll defend Bill on this one - I think the casting was excellent to choose Bill Murray as the voice of Garfield - if you were sitting around the table at the idea stage and you said - who should voice it - Bill would come to my mind.

But the movie fails because you can't sustain a 3-5 block strip into an entire movie. A comic strip has a chortle moment - at best - to make a movie you need to have conflict a full plot, character development and resolution.

The plot was beyond inane and there wasn't enough one liners or things in the movie you could really get drawn into - and Odie sucked - where was the artistry in the Odie character?

Bill's disinterested voice is perfect for Garfield - who is disinterested virtually all the time - unless you get in the way of his food dish. As a cat lover it is sad that so many cat movies stink - Garfield is bad enough but

Halle Berry as Catwoman should have been gold - I mean Halle is pure Catnip to the male libido - how could they possibly leave that movie in the hands of talentless hacks I'll never know.

Smokey
03-12-2012, 03:47 PM
if you were sitting around the table at the idea stage and you said - who should voice it - Bill would come to my mind.

I was thinking maybe Jon Lovitz would have done a better job. He did a voice over for animated TV show The Critic and was so good at it.

RGA
03-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Jon Lovitz I agree would have been good too - but it would not have saved the movie. Nothing could have saved the movie except better writing, visuals, and a director. Lovitz probably doesn't have the star power to draw audiences the execs would have wanted unfortunately.