Terrific CD Player for $100 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Terrific CD Player for $100

Poultrygeist
03-03-2012, 06:15 PM
My friend who mods these gave me one to try and if I didn't already own a Marantz SA8004 SACD player it would be my reference unit. You'll have to spend a grand to get marginally better sound.

Sony PS-1 SCPH-5501 Modified CD Player | CD Players | AudiogoN (http://app.audiogon.com/listings/sony-ps-1-scph-5501-modified-cd-player--7)

Enochrome
03-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Poultry,

I have 4 of those: 2x1001's and 2x5501's.

If you can get an adapter that let's you use your own rca's the 5501 is better than the 1001's written up in Stereophile, just for the fact that the laser is upgraded and more stable. They both sound the same because they both use the coveted AKM dac chip that gives it the killer analog sound. I love that little thing, it just belts rich tones and kick ass rhythms. It does not have the "I heard a mouse fart" detail but it just makes really enjoyable fun music. It is my favorite.

I bought 4 because 3 of them were $5-10 each and I want to mod them. Poultry this is the player for you: cheap and the mods are waiting!!!! It kicks arse!! Hunt the Goodwills.

Poultrygeist
03-04-2012, 05:22 AM
I've got the heavily modded 5501 with nice high end RCA outputs and built in remote playing with my secondary OB's and love it.

My friend selling them on A'gon really tricks them out and gives them added heft with lots of case dampening plus his proprietary tweaks.

I agree that the 5501 sounds slightly better than the 1001 but best of all it tracks CD-R's. The 1001 tends to skip on some CD-R's.

The 1001'a are getting harder to find at thrift stores as they already come with RCA outputs while the 5501's are more plentiful because RCA outputs have to be added.

Folks who are inclined to drop huge sums of cash thinking that's what it takes to get great CD performance should listen to one of these modded puppies.