Learning from MonK [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Learning from MonK

frenchmon
03-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Mosaic Records - Jazz Video Cafe (http://www.jazzvideocafe.com/?v=OyfEddS41nM)

Charlie worked with Monk a long time.....he had the patience of Job!

Poultrygeist
03-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Which Charlie?

I like Charlie Parker but his recordings were made before hi fidelity was the norm. I find LPs recorded before the intro of stereo ( around the mid fifties ) to be sonically unacceptable. I don't even care for Bird's remastered CD's.

frenchmon
03-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Which Charlie?

I like Charlie Parker but his recordings were made before hi fidelity was the norm. I find LPs recorded before the intro of stereo ( around the mid fifties ) to be sonically unacceptable. I don't even care for Bird's remastered CD's.

Charlie Rouse.

Yes some of that older stuff is MONO....but even some of that with a good hifi system can sound good. I have several that still images well. So I suppose thats why you dont like Dizzy? Well he has some later stuff thats great . I just got done playing "Have Trumpet will Excite" on Verve Records . Its got Diz on Trumpet, Junior Mance on piano, Les Spann Flute, guitar,Sam Jones bass, and Lex Humphries on drums. You just have to find the right recording or remaster...

Poultrygeist
03-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Dizzy is from Bennettsville and is considered a South Carolina icon. I'm still trying to appreciate his bebop but I cut my teeth on traditional jazz interpretations of the great American Song Book. I'm always looking for LPs and CDs that offer this. Got any recommendations?

I grew up in a family of musicians and played trombone in a jazz/dance band in college and crave the standards but I don't care for big band jazz as I can't focus on individual instruments. We have great community jazz in Columbia. The best from USC's school of music play jazz here on Sundays near the banks of the Congaree River.

hifitommy
03-25-2012, 12:11 PM
thanks frenchie for the chance to explore. the stockhausen interview was enlightening. i might try some of it now.

mono has never been a deterrent to me, much GREAT music has been preserved this way.

poultry: diz captures me, his interview with marian mcPartland on piano jazz (available as a cd) on pbs really exposes his inner workings.

the carmen mcRae album 'the great american songbook' may be right up your alley. its a two disc set recorded at donte's in universal city california (i lived across the street and could have been there for it). while in vegas seeing cirq du soleil's LOVE beatles program AGAIN, i picked up a copy for $2!