What I was playing back in 1973 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What I was playing back in 1973

Worf101
03-01-2012, 07:57 AM
For those of you who don't know, Kool and the Gang had a long career before they added the cheezy lead singer and went "Celebrate". Kool, along with Tower of Power, Mandrill, War, early EW&F and other soul/horn bands was what we played back in the day. The New York City school system required that EVERYBODY take some kind of musical training even if it was hiding in the back mumbling with the chorus.

When we hit Junior High and High School we had ALL these horn players hanging around so... we used em!!! The part of the song you need to pay attention to is "Choclate Buttermilk", a simple song, not exactly Stravinsky, but it's rockin' This live version is kickin'

Worf
Kool & The Gang - Chocolate Buttermilk (Live) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Wn9U8QEyU&feature=related)

Hyfi
03-01-2012, 08:13 AM
What about the Isley Brothers dude? Wasn't one of them taught or learned from Jimi?

Swish
03-01-2012, 07:14 PM
What about the Isley Brothers dude? Wasn't one of them taught or learned from Jimi?

...and was on tour with them as a guitarist. I think Ernie Isley was self-taught on guitar, and not by Jimi.

Hyfi
03-02-2012, 03:55 AM
...and was on tour with them as a guitarist. I think Ernie Isley was self-taught on guitar, and not by Jimi.

Thanks for that correction. I knew there was a Jimi story there somewhere.

Ernie was an awesome player too.

MasterCylinder
03-02-2012, 05:05 AM
I was too bonged out to remember much of 1973.
But I remember I was not into those groups...........way too much other classic stuff released that year :

Band on the Run
Quadrophenia
Montrose
Tres Hombres
Aqualung
Made in Japan
Countdown to Ecstasy
Selling England by the Pound
Houses of the Holy

(and if that weren't enough)

Dark Side of the Moon

Fire it up, dude !

Jack in Wilmington
03-02-2012, 06:42 AM
I was too bonged out to remember much of 1973.
But I remember I was not into those groups...........way too much other classic stuff released that year :

Band on the Run
Quadrophenia
Montrose
Tres Hombres
Aqualung
Made in Japan
Countdown to Ecstasy
Selling England by the Pound
Houses of the Holy

(and if that weren't enough)

Dark Side of the Moon

Fire it up, dude !

Wow. Good memories, good music

recoveryone
03-02-2012, 07:38 AM
let me think back:
Average White Band
Early Ohio Players (Funky worm)
Funk Inc (as some have heard the youtube clip I posted a few weeks back)
Paraliment/Funkadelic (Can you say Star child) Make my funk a P funk

winston
03-02-2012, 01:46 PM
thanks for the memories (Worf) I wasn't around that neck of the woods, but the music was in the air very,very strong, and looking at that video, and the size of that ensemble. takes me back to the "sounds of Philadelphia"

yep "Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff" created this monster Ensemble around that time (Mother Father Sister Brother) or as they say, to put it more succinctly (M.F.S.B - T.S.O.P, OR MUTHAFUNKINSONGFAB...H) :yesnod: I'm listening to "love is the message" as we speak,

good mentioned Worf, as I sometimes wonder if I'm the oldest guy in the world, cause no one hardly talk about those Cats

Stay Strong