Best CD lens cleaner. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best CD lens cleaner.

K-High-Fi
02-28-2012, 01:45 AM
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask what the best and safest way to clean CD lens player.

If this question answered before please just show me the link.

Many thanks to all.

Sincerely,

Poultrygeist
02-28-2012, 05:50 AM
All the CD/DVD cleaners with the tiny whiskers embedded in the disc seem to be about the same.

lovatoj@msn.com
02-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Very good question. I would like to upgrade my old whisker type to another. Any suggestions of what type and where to buy would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

K-High-Fi
02-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Hi Poultrygeist and thank you for reply. I assume you mean liquid cleaner, as far i know liquid not recommended, however what ever the best method (liquid or brush), do these affect CD lens of CD player? Usually i use clean soft cotton and rub it very delicat over the CD lens.

lovatoj@msn.com
02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
I am hoping to find something to insert into the CD/DVD player to clean the head.
thanks,

lyoung
03-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Hi all, this is my first post, I have had the same CD player (Rotel RCC 945) for past 14 years. I have never cleaned the "lens". My player works fine, should I mess with success?

Thanks
LRY

lovatoj@msn.com
03-11-2012, 07:22 AM
I believe I have found a solution. Pardon the pun.

Mash
03-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Why do you need to clean the lens on your CD player? I have never done this and all of my CD players have worked fine for years, until they finally died and were replaced. Even the one in the kitchen has never needed a cleaning.

Remember that a CD player is digital, and with a digital signal you either get everything or you get nothing.

Brushes etc. will cause wear on the plastic lens and I would avoid this.

hifitommy
03-25-2012, 09:44 AM
mash,

the fibers on the lens cleaners are quite unlikely to damage the lenses. the vaporized oils from cooking and other air contaminants will cause a light film on all surfaces including lenses. they just arent protected inside the players.

digital isnt as finite as you think. clean discs and lenses are contributory to ultimate playback quality.

a lot of fuss was made about those of us that heard differences in playback with greening the edges of CDs but the ridicule doesnt prove that it was fallacious. those of us that actually tried it were convinced, its just that its too much effort involved to green all of the discs.

Mash
03-25-2012, 10:44 AM
"the fibers on the lens cleaners are quite unlikely to damage the lenses"

Have you opened a player to inspect its "post-cleaning" lens? I looked at a "CD lens cleaner" and those brushes were short & stiff (short & stiff go together).

Most, perhaps all, plastics are very easy to scratch, which is why plastic eyeglass lens usually have a hard-face coating applied. And coated plastic eyeglass lens still scratch easily if one were careless enough to rub them dry with a paper towel rather than with a clean cotton or microfiber towel.

Digital signals are "1" and "0" .... there is nothing in between. The player error correction circuit will correct many signal problems but there are limits.

I never used a green pen on a CD. If this were to really improve something I am sure the manufacturers would have gone green...maybe use green plastic for the disc. Besides the green ink is an analog (physical) addition which would affect a digital signal HOW?

hifitommy
04-15-2012, 03:29 PM
as for manufacturers putting green on the CDs, its an added cost. that right there makes it verboten.

most manufs will do anything to shave costs. as for myself, i found it to be effective sonically but too much of a PIA to green them. so it goes.

the sum of green and red is black which would reduce by a wide margin, the reflected/refracted scattered laser light within the cd itself. the green on the edge absorbs the stray laser light.