Bitten by the Samsung LCD Capacitor Bug!!!` [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bitten by the Samsung LCD Capacitor Bug!!!`

Worf101
02-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Funny how karma works. I'd just read last week how Samsung used under weight capacitors in certain models of their big screens in the mid to late 2000's. I counted myself "lucky" that'd I'd managed to avoid the bug lo these many years. Well fast forward to this afternoon. I came home, hit the LCD on and got a pink screen followed by the dreaded clicking of death.

Seems I was bitten by the bug. If you've a Samsung LCD, Plasma or other big flat screen made before 2008 you might be in the same boat. If you do have to call them go to the Samsung Recall page and get the 1-800 number. When you get through the automated menu you then have to have the following:

Complete model number

Complete Serial number

A number you can be reached to schedule a service call.

Problem is, the website and the automated portion of the menu DO NOT TELL YOU THAT YOU NEED THE SERIAL NUMBER! They only mention the model number in advance. I then had to go down crawl back of the LCD again and get the second number during which time THE BASTARDS HUNG UP ON ME!

Needless to say when I got a real human being again on the phone I let them have it with both barrels. I hope this helps you get it done.

Worf

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-27-2012, 01:56 PM
I am sooooooo glad I was not on the other side of your conversation. I am already bald as it is.....

TheHills44060
02-27-2012, 04:26 PM
It's still amazing to me how unreliable flat screens are. Over the years I've owned Quasar, Panasonic, Sony and Magnavox CRT television sets and not one of them ever died on me. They survived numerous kicks, beer baths, power surges and moves across the state.

I wait forever, finally bite the bullet and get a flatscreen last year and treat it with kid gloves then the thing craps out in less than 3 months. Had the damaged parts replaced and it buzzes like crazy. Young women during the Salem Witch trials suffered less torture than i have listening to this damned thing.

I feel your pain Worf.

Jack in Wilmington
02-27-2012, 05:13 PM
It's still amazing to me how unreliable flat screens are. Over the years I've owned Quasar, Panasonic, Sony and Magnavox CRT television sets and not one of them ever died on me. They survived numerous kicks, beer baths, power surges and moves across the state.

I wait forever, finally bite the bullet and get a flatscreen last year and treat it with kid gloves then the thing craps out in less than 3 months. Had the damaged parts replaced and it buzzes like crazy. Young women during the Salem Witch trials suffered less torture than i have listening to this damned thing.

I feel your pain Worf.

It's still under warranty isn't it. What is the saying if "you do the same thing over and over and expect the outcome to change". Get it fixed or get it replaced. Don't let these companys get away with it.

Worf101
02-28-2012, 05:00 AM
Last night was the first time in I don't know when where the "glass teat" was not available for suckling. Sure, we've other screens in the house but being creatures of habit it didn't feel "right" watching TV in bed. I ain't never got used to it. Read a bit, played some solataire, went to bed early... Interesting... I wonder what the withdrawel symptoms are?

Worf

BadAssJazz
02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Every now and then I hear horror stories like these and consider myself extremely fortunate. I've never had any problems with any of my flatscreens. I pray the streak continues on my next upgrade.

Worf101
03-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Welp, the repair man came today... I was wearing a silk nighty and... whoa wait.. wrong dream. Well the repair guy came bright and early a 7:15 AM today. I helped him get the 52 incher (they don't even make that size anymore) down and on the table. He had it done in about 45 minutes. Gave me the popped capacitors for a souvenir and the thing now works as it did. Hopefully it'll be another 3 or 4 years before anything else goes wrong with it. It was an "interesting" week without T.V. not all bad either.

Worf

GMichael
03-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Congrats on the fix. How did your routine change? Will you continue with some of the new passtimes?

Amarand
03-12-2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks for posting this here. I have a Samsung LCD TV purchased from Sears a few years ago...probably 2008 or so. I'm going to check out the recall, now that I know.

The part that upsets me is that I would think that they would have sent me an e-mail when the recall went out, right?

A bit annoying, but good to be proactive. Thanks for the tips on what information is needed as well! :2:

Amarand
03-12-2012, 10:18 AM
I called the number, gave them all of the information they needed (serial number, model number and the manufacturing date (middle of the back of the mounted unit...gak!) and it is, indeed, a part of the recall. August 2007 build date, and they're sending someone out within a week to replace the impacted board and possibly the power supply. Thank you SO MUCH for this thread...I would have never known, as I was never notified. Shame on Samsung. :(

bobsticks
03-12-2012, 10:40 AM
... Shame on Samsung. :(

Well, yeah...but at the same time at least they're dealing with the issue. History is rife with companies that put out lackluster or defective product and both attempt to hide the issue or deny any wrongdoing.

Btw, welcome to the forums.

...and also, btw, thanks for the imformative and impactful posting Worfster.

Amarand
03-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Well, yeah...but at the same time at least they're dealing with the issue. History is rife with companies that put out lackluster or defective product and both attempt to hide the issue or deny any wrongdoing.

Oh, for sure, you're completely right. The reason why I currently own *counts* six Samsung monitors is because of their overall quality and decent customer service. I guess my expectation is that when there is a recall, you should be notified, especially if you took the time to register your unit (which I always do). If there's a class action lawsuit, I would expect something in the mail - which I never saw. So...a bit strange, but yes, this forum saved the day!

bobsticks
03-12-2012, 11:29 AM
If there's a class action lawsuit, I would expect something in the mail - which I never saw.

Lol, I have been involved twice in this lifetime with class action lawsuits---neither time was I aware of it until well afterward. I've been told that the way they generally work is that if you're part of the injured class you actually have to opt out of the suit, as opposed to making a positive declaration of intent.

All I know for sure is that I received a check for $12.83 and somewhere a lawyer bought a beach house in the Hamptons. :D

Worf101
03-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Congrats on the fix. How did your routine change? Will you continue with some of the new passtimes?

Well the primary change was that I read more. I started reading the original pulp stories of "The Shadow" as well as some of the other's of that time. I've ready the Conan stories and Doc Savage but now I'm learning about "The Spider" and other pulp hero's who served us well until comic books took over in the postwar years.

I also have seen more movies on the big screen. Saw the Oscar nominated animated shorts and live action shorts at the Spectrum (Spectrum 8 Theatres (http://www.spectrum8.com)) and spent some time with "Chucklehead" who's home on spring break.

Think of 2 weeks without TV as like going on a fast. Your mind finds other things to do.

Worf

Worf101
03-13-2012, 06:10 AM
You're welcome Amarand, Bob and all involved. I'm just very gtlad that I could help at least ONE forum member avoid the hassles that I went through. I hope your repair goes well.

Da Worfster

PS still would like to yell some hair off of Sir TT's haid!!!! Be nice to yell at someone other than my knuckleheaded son!

Amarand
03-13-2012, 02:27 PM
When the repair guy stopped out, he took the back off and took the board out. I had the capacitors which had the issue, but they weren't popped or bulging. He replaced them with the better capacitors anyway (nice guy!) and so now I hope I can get a few more years out of my LCD TV. He also showed me a few of the capacitors he'd pulled from other TVs earlier in the day, and they looked pretty obviously bad.

Thanks again!

Worf101
03-14-2012, 05:30 PM
When the repair guy stopped out, he took the back off and took the board out. I had the capacitors which had the issue, but they weren't popped or bulging. He replaced them with the better capacitors anyway (nice guy!) and so now I hope I can get a few more years out of my LCD TV. He also showed me a few of the capacitors he'd pulled from other TVs earlier in the day, and they looked pretty obviously bad.

Thanks again!
Glad all went well! Here's hoping it STAYS well!. Thanks also for updating us as to how the repairs went. Hang around there are a TON of good people on this board. I've friends (and a do mean friends) from all over the States and that cold chilly place up north where Mooses roam around free in the streets.

Worf

StevenSurprenant
03-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Funny how karma works. I'd just read last week how Samsung used under weight capacitors in certain models of their big screens in the mid to late 2000's. I counted myself "lucky" that'd I'd managed to avoid the bug lo these many years. Well fast forward to this afternoon. I came home, hit the LCD on and got a pink screen followed by the dreaded clicking of death.

My TV has been doing this for a couple of years, except once it finally started I got purple dots. After warming up I would restart it and it would work fine. I knew about the caps and was going to pull the TV off the wall and fix it (some day). Anyway, after reading your post I called Samsung and they immediately set up an in house appointment to fix it for free.

Thanks!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
You're welcome Amarand, Bob and all involved. I'm just very gtlad that I could help at least ONE forum member avoid the hassles that I went through. I hope your repair goes well.

Da Worfster

PS still would like to yell some hair off of Sir TT's haid!!!! Be nice to yell at someone other than my knuckleheaded son!

PSS. You are a hater...:prrr: :biggrin5:

Worf101
03-21-2012, 07:05 AM
PSS. You are a hater...:prrr: :biggrin5:
I'm a hater not a lover...

No wait I got that wrong... I think...

:devil:

Worf

recoveryone
03-21-2012, 07:40 AM
Last night was the first time in I don't know when where the "glass teat" was not available for suckling. Sure, we've other screens in the house but being creatures of habit it didn't feel "right" watching TV in bed. I ain't never got used to it. Read a bit, played some solataire, went to bed early... Interesting... I wonder what the withdrawel symptoms are?

Worf

Music my friend! I never been avid TV watcher, I like my movies and special events (sports and a few sitcoms), but I can come home and never click on the tube if it was just me. On my days off (during the week) the TV does not come on unti my wife gets home from work. And even then I seek into the living room and kick back and listen to the 2ch setup.

crowley
03-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Thankfully I saw this post, handy info to have since I've got a few Samsung TV's, here I was thinking that they're the best reasonably priced brand out there.

Worf101
03-21-2012, 06:59 PM
My TV has been doing this for a couple of years, except once it finally started I got purple dots. After warming up I would restart it and it would work fine. I knew about the caps and was going to pull the TV off the wall and fix it (some day). Anyway, after reading your post I called Samsung and they immediately set up an in house appointment to fix it for free.

Thanks!

Thanks for posting this. You just made my day. When I can help a forum member I'm walking on air. Let us know how the visit and repairs go.

Worf

Worf101
03-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Music my friend! I never been avid TV watcher, I like my movies and special events (sports and a few sitcoms), but I can come home and never click on the tube if it was just me. On my days off (during the week) the TV does not come on unti my wife gets home from work. And even then I seek into the living room and kick back and listen to the 2ch setup.

Thanks for reminding me I DID listen to a lot of music that week. I did the whole Philly Internation Boxed set, the Burt Bacharach box and Citizen Steely Dan.

Forgot all about it... thanks..

Worf

StevenSurprenant
04-06-2012, 04:06 AM
Thanks for posting this. You just made my day. When I can help a forum member I'm walking on air. Let us know how the visit and repairs go.

Worf

They came, they saw, they fixed it! It's like a new TV. Thanks Worf, you made my day. Smiles All around...

Worf101
04-06-2012, 05:32 AM
They came, they saw, they fixed it! It's like a new TV. Thanks Worf, you made my day. Smiles All around...

(Worf Stomps around office doing the Ancient Klingon "we kicked somebodies butt dance! All the while spitting and shouting oaths)

Hey Steve, glad it all worked out. How many sets did you have repaired? Just one or were there others? Happy as a clam for you.

Worf

StevenSurprenant
04-06-2012, 08:14 AM
I have 3 Samsung TV's, but this one (the oldest one) was the only one with an issue.

I thank you again and really appreciate what you've done for me.

Worf101
08-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Guess what's back. You guessed it. Now they BETTER replace the entire power board. Dagnabit $E$$@^^$%!!!!

Heres the links and 1-800 number should anyone else get bitten... AGAIN!!!!

Worf

SAMSUNG's Digital World (http://www.samsung.com/capacitorsettlement), or call 888-899-7602

texlle
08-06-2012, 06:08 AM
I have two Samsung LCD's, neither of which have ever given me so much as a minute of headache- a 46" made in 2011 and a 27" that was made in 2007. Worf, are only the larger sets before 2008 affected?

Worf101
08-06-2012, 06:19 AM
I have two Samsung LCD's, neither of which have ever given me so much as a minute of headache- a 46" made in 2011 and a 27" that was made in 2007. Worf, are only the larger sets before 2008 affected?

The phone message on the 1-800 line put the cut-off at 2010. So I'd get your 2007 set looked at.

Worf

BadAssJazz
08-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Guess what's back. You guessed it. Now they BETTER replace the entire power board. Dagnabit $E$$@^^$%!!!!

Heres the links and 1-800 number should anyone else get bitten... AGAIN!!!!

Worf

SAMSUNG's Digital World (http://www.samsung.com/capacitorsettlement), or call 888-899-7602

Oh crap! Smack dab in the middle of the Olympics and just before the football season???? They should give you best seats in the house to whatever event you're missing on TV. Damn Samsung.

NHGJHAS
08-06-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm delighted to say that Mac video converter can now! Conversion for almost all popular video formats suitable for all kinds of digital equipment. From 321 soft Mac video converter (http://www.321soft.com/mac-video-converter.html)