New Yamahas: 4 new receivers, $400 universal player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Yamahas: 4 new receivers, $400 universal player

Woochifer
04-16-2004, 05:18 PM
Yamaha's new entry level receivers are out, and some of them have had major changes applied. Summary of these changes:

-all of their entry level receivers now have 6.1 or "7.1" amplification
-they have all added Dolby Pro Logic IIx and DTS 96/24 decoding
-all now have component video switching
-all have added an adjustable lipsync delay (which is handy with DVD players that are slightly off with the audio sync)
-all now have 9-band adjustable subwoofer crossover and adjustable subwoofer phase
-outer dimensions are slightly larger

RX-V450 ($300)
85 watts x 6 channels
has component video, but no S-video switching

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/images/rxv450.jpg

RX-V550 ($450)
90 watts x 6 channels
adds S-video switching, zone 2 audio output, digital audio output, video upconversion (to S-video)

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/images/rxv550.jpg

RX-V650 ($550)
95 watts x 7 channels
adds YPAO room calibration and microphone, on-screen display, "presence" speaker outputs for high mounted effect speakers (assignable to zone 2 output), analog direct mode

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/images/rxv650.jpg

RX-V750 ($650)
100 watts x 7 channels
adds phono input, programmable remote, video upconversion to component video

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/images/rxv750.jpg

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/compare/receiver_18.htm

But, IMO the bigger product introduction in their budget lineup is their upcoming DVD-S1500 universal player. At $400, this might be the sweet spot universal format player that we've been waiting for. It combines format support for SACD/DVD-A/DTS/DD/MP3 at the audio end with the Faroudja DCDi processor at the video end. And it does 176.4 kHz CD audio upsampling (which is different from other players that typically upsample to 192 kHz, because it uses a whole number multiple).

I have no idea if this player has native DSD support for SACD or if it does a PCM conversion first like the the $250 Pioneer DV-563, and I don't know whether the bass management is any better than the Pioneer, which from what I've read is pretty lousy. If the Yammie improves upon the Pioneer in these two crucial areas, then I would say that Yammie might very well could be the universal player of choice when it comes out in June.

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Section_Id=1&Product_Id=3968486

http://images.cinenow.com/yamaha-dp5000-500.jpg

kpzbee
04-16-2004, 06:20 PM
The component video & better remote is why I'm opting for the 750 vs the 650. I figure for a $100, it's worth it down the road.

paul_pci
04-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the universal player. I agree, if it operates as well as it is promoted to, it would be a very tempting buy. Certainly cheaper than the Denon 2200.

Woochifer
04-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the universal player. I agree, if it operates as well as it is promoted to, it would be a very tempting buy. Certainly cheaper than the Denon 2200.

That Yammie could go either way. If it has the same bass management and PCM conversion deficiencies as in the Pioneer DV-563, then it's worth getting only for the Faroudja DCDi processor. But, if it has good bass management and can do the native format DSD processing with SACDs, then it pretty much stands alone among the universal format players. Plus, the 176.4 kHz upsampling with CD audio's a nice bonus to try out and it's the only upsampler I've seen that does so using a whole number multiple from the CD's native sampling rate 44.1 kHz. (read an interview with a recording engineer with one of the audiophile labels, where they recommend that any recordings earmarked for CD mastering should be originally recorded in whole number multiples from the 44.1 kHz CD audio sampling rate, so who knows if that impacts on the upsampling)

My only concern would be its build quality. Up to this point, Yamaha has put some pretty rugged DVD players together, but this new one's got a very slim profile and it weighs about 7 lbs, which is 11 lbs. lighter than their current universal player.

paul_pci
04-19-2004, 10:30 PM
That Yammie could go either way. If it has the same bass management and PCM conversion deficiencies as in the Pioneer DV-563, then it's worth getting only for the Faroudja DCDi processor. But, if it has good bass management and can do the native format DSD processing with SACDs, then it pretty much stands alone among the universal format players. Plus, the 176.4 kHz upsampling with CD audio's a nice bonus to try out and it's the only upsampler I've seen that does so using a whole number multiple from the CD's native sampling rate 44.1 kHz. (read an interview with a recording engineer with one of the audiophile labels, where they recommend that any recordings earmarked for CD mastering should be originally recorded in whole number multiples from the 44.1 kHz CD audio sampling rate, so who knows if that impacts on the upsampling)

My only concern would be its build quality. Up to this point, Yamaha has put some pretty rugged DVD players together, but this new one's got a very slim profile and it weighs about 7 lbs, which is 11 lbs. lighter than their current universal player.

Your last point is interesting. I had been thinking about starting a thread about the importance of weight in source components. I would agree that 7lbs sounds suspiciously light, but then again, what the hell do I know about such things? I would imagine that the electronics themselves (not the chassis) don't necessarily have to weigh that much, especially compared to an amp, but again that may be my ignorance daydreaming again.

geoff
04-21-2004, 03:13 AM
Hi

Im thinking of buying a setup consisting of the DVD-S1500 as well as a Yamaha receiver. The question is, RX-V1400 or RX-V750. Ive read a couple of very positive reviews on the 1400 so Im leaning towards it but I dunno if it will be worth the extra 200$ and the 750 have Pure Direct Mode as well..

Also, have you heard any rumors about the S1500 being "based on" Philips' 963SA player?

Woochifer
04-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Hi

Im thinking of buying a setup consisting of the DVD-S1500 as well as a Yamaha receiver. The question is, RX-V1400 or RX-V750. Ive read a couple of very positive reviews on the 1400 so Im leaning towards it but I dunno if it will be worth the extra 200$ and the 750 have Pure Direct Mode as well..

Also, have you heard any rumors about the S1500 being "based on" Philips' 963SA player?

This has been a constant question over the past few years. What Yamaha typically does is update their midlevel receivers with the latest features and power capacity, and then about six months later, they update their entry level receivers and put a lot of those same features into the models at the high end of their entry level lineup. The RX-V1400 is Yamaha's least expensive midlevel receiver, whereas the RX-V750 is the most expensive entry level model.

Typically the midlevel models are larger and have more spacing between the various components, along with larger capacity power supplies and more rugged chassis. The entry level models with their smaller chassis have much more crowded interior layouts, which potentially induces heat buildup and interference between different components. And despite what the specs might tell you, the midlevel receivers also typically have more output with all channels driven (those output specs are usually done with only one or two channels active).

I don't know anything about the DVD-S1500 aside from what I posted. It doesn't seem like it would be based on that particular Philips model given that the CD upsampling is done differently and it can do DVD-A decoding while the Philips model cannot. In the past, Yamaha has used Panasonic transports in their DVD players, but done a lot of other customizing in the output circuitry and the chassis.

geoff
04-21-2004, 09:36 PM
This has been a constant question over the past few years. What Yamaha typically does is update their midlevel receivers with the latest features and power capacity, and then about six months later, they update their entry level receivers and put a lot of those same features into the models at the high end of their entry level lineup. The RX-V1400 is Yamaha's least expensive midlevel receiver, whereas the RX-V750 is the most expensive entry level model.

Typically the midlevel models are larger and have more spacing between the various components, along with larger capacity power supplies and more rugged chassis. The entry level models with their smaller chassis have much more crowded interior layouts, which potentially induces heat buildup and interference between different components. And despite what the specs might tell you, the midlevel receivers also typically have more output with all channels driven (those output specs are usually done with only one or two channels active).

I don't know anything about the DVD-S1500 aside from what I posted. It doesn't seem like it would be based on that particular Philips model given that the CD upsampling is done differently and it can do DVD-A decoding while the Philips model cannot. In the past, Yamaha has used Panasonic transports in their DVD players, but done a lot of other customizing in the output circuitry and the chassis.

Thanks for your reply. Ive just preordered a DVD-S1500 (it's about 450$ here in Sweden, waiting to hear if I can get it codefree) and a RX-V1400. I don't think I will be dissappointed, it just feel safer going for the heftier receiver considering I will probably stick with it for at least 3-4 years. And besides, it has always gotten the top grade in all review Ive read.

Have you seen any reviews of the DVD-player yet? All I've read are the specs over and over.

Another more technical question: In the 1400 you have two YSS930 dsp chips while in the 750 you have one YSS930 and one YSS948 (bitstream decoder). What does that mean? Ive read that the Z9 has eight YSS930 so I would guess thats the "meanest and leanest" but now Im just pulling stuff out of my ass..