New sub [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New sub

blackraven
02-25-2012, 09:01 AM
I just purchased a slightly used original Martin Logan Dynamo Sub for $275 from a guy that use to work for ML. It is going to replace my older Velodyne ported CHT-8 sub to run with my Maggies. The Dynamo use to sell for $700. I wanted a more musical non ported sub. I don't need thunderous bass, just something fast and musical to integrate well with the 1.6's. I will cross it over at about 45Hz.

harley .guy07
02-25-2012, 11:33 AM
while I have never heard a ML sub I have heard they are quite good for the purpose that you are going to use it for and for that price if it fills the bill then very good deal because most subs that are under $1000 usually have a weakness in some place and usually musicality is the main one that they don;t do well at without modifications like I have done to mine since the companies don't dampen the cabinet and brace the box like the more expensive subs which take away musical bass performance.

blackraven
02-25-2012, 01:21 PM
The problem with the ML Dynamo's are that they are sealed and have relatively low power so they dont put out like ported or more powerful sealed subs. The original Dynamo that I bought is a true 200watts RMS. The guy that I bought it from said that the newer models like the Dynamo 500, 700 and 1000 have more powerful but cheaper amps and are not as musical or controlled as the older Dynamo. He said that the older model used a high currrent digital amp. I am not sure if I believe him or not but he did work for the company.

Poultrygeist
02-25-2012, 03:21 PM
What you need with your Maggies are some OB H-frames to give you bass weight until you get down to where a sub is needed for the lowest registers.

LeRoy
02-26-2012, 07:20 PM
The problem with the ML Dynamo's are that they are sealed and have relatively low power so they dont put out like ported or more powerful sealed subs. The original Dynamo that I bought is a true 200watts RMS. The guy that I bought it from said that the newer models like the Dynamo 500, 700 and 1000 have more powerful but cheaper amps and are not as musical or controlled as the older Dynamo. He said that the older model used a high currrent digital amp. I am not sure if I believe him or not but he did work for the company.

What kind of sub woofer cable are you using?

blackraven
02-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Years ago I did't know any better and bought a monster sub cable.

LeRoy
02-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Well, the Monster is probably not the culprit. I was thinking maybe the woofer material is heavy and therefore not quick overall thereby limiting the excursion and reduced output with 200 watts trying to move it. This of course is mere speculation on my part.

blackraven
02-29-2012, 08:54 AM
As it turns out, the older Dynamo does use a high current amp. I should get it tomorrow weather permitting.

blackraven
03-01-2012, 10:09 AM
The sub arrived this am and I just listened to it for about 30min. It has much tighter and more musical bass than my Velodyne CHT-8. It integrates much better with my MG 1.6's, it is seamless and the sub just disappears. There is no muddiness or boom to the sound. It is a very small sub and maybe a little too small for my room-17x17x10. The Abyss would have been a better match as it would move more air. I don't think that it will be as good as my Velodyne for HT use. Overall I am satisfied. I was wanting a sub to fill in the bass and integrate well with my 1.6's without having spend $1K and up. For $275, used, in perfect condition I could not be happier.

Rmac58
03-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I recently installed a sub myself. It has settings on it so, I'm still tinkering around.

However, I have heard guitar riffs i didn't know existed, bass riffs too, of course.

I'm quite impressed.

I miss my old Martin Logans.

LeRoy
03-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Hey BR, congrats on getting the new sub into play. No mud or boom, blends in with the Maggies and gets out of the way. Sounds pretty good to me. Enjoy the new set up.

Feanor
03-05-2012, 04:52 AM
The sub arrived this am and I just listened to it for about 30min. It has much tighter and more musical bass than my Velodyne CHT-8. It integrates much better with my MG 1.6's, it is seamless and the sub just disappears. There is no muddiness or boom to the sound. It is a very small sub and maybe a little too small for my room-17x17x10. ...
What crossover frequency are you using for the sub? Do you run the Magneplanars full-range or do you use a high-pass filter?

I run mine full range and set the sub's low-pass at 50 Hz., its lowest setting -- works quite well.

blackraven
03-05-2012, 09:19 AM
What crossover frequency are you using for the sub? Do you run the Magneplanars full-range or do you use a high-pass filter?

I run mine full range and set the sub's low-pass at 50 Hz., its lowest setting -- works quite well.

I run my speakers full range and set the low pass filter to 38Hz. The Martin Logan manual says to set the sub to 70% of the lowest frequency of the mains for 2ch music. I have tried it at 28, 30, 35, 40, 45 and 50Hz. It seems to sound the best at 35-38Hz. The 1.6's go down to about 45Hz but mine seem to go lower with my modded Preamp and DAC and the speakers placement.

Rmac58
03-15-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm getting my sub dialed in, it has a crossover that I use, as my pre-amp has pre outs, vs. a dedicated sub out.

After many adjustments, sounds pretty good, but I'm still going to move it elsewhere.

My friends all point to the mains saying "it's coming from there" (sounds like it to me too), I nod and mention they're capable. I then tun off the sub and watch their reaction.

lizard54
04-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Just picked up a MartinLogan Dynamo 10-Inch Sub at Fry's a few weeks ago. They had some good online deals and coupons for in store too.

For the money, I don't think you can do better. Decent bass for a small to mid sized room. Well made product and above average electronics.

Mash
04-07-2012, 06:29 AM
The low, the midrange, and then the treble bands. These work quite well for smoothing overall frequency response as you play with X-over frequencies and with multiamp output levels. You may be in for some surprises.... But you should hear an improvement when you are done.