My Blu-Ray is useless [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My Blu-Ray is useless

blackraven
02-24-2012, 03:38 PM
My local Blockbuster store closed and now my BR player is useless. There are a few Red Boxes around but I really liked browsing at Blockbuster. I guess I am going to have to go the Net Flix route. I am just glad that I did not buy the top end model Oppo.

markw
02-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Ours is in the last three days of their "everything must go" sale and then it's gone. Netflix is OK, but it kinda takes the fun out of a blank weekend day. Nothing beat browsing the wall for whatever caught my eye at that given moment.

I miss it already.

winston
02-24-2012, 05:29 PM
My local Blockbuster store closed and now my BR player is useless. There are a few Red Boxes around but I really liked browsing at Blockbuster. I guess I am going to have to go the Net Flix route. I am just glad that I did not buy the top end model Oppo.

they seems to have all been shuttered over here in South Florida as well, well maybe with the exception of "Hialeah"

I have taken the Netflix route recently, through AA due to the fact that they were offering 2500 travel miles to sign up for Netflix through AA advantage club (and the price is 8 bucks, although you still have to pay extra for the DVDs & BR disc) its still a good deal for me, as I don't want to get (swamp) looking at hundreds of BR disc on my shelves, as is the case with my DVDs.... so far so good "Netflix" working out for me

Smokey
02-24-2012, 05:32 PM
That is why I am so reluctant to buy a BR player. It probably sit and collect dust since majority of my favorite movies are on DVDs and not planning to double dip for BR version.

Jack in Wilmington
02-24-2012, 06:35 PM
I only double dip for the extra special movies. Just got the Star Wars box set on BR and it is worth it. Maybe I can't really see that much of a difference over the DVD version, but the sound is a whole different story. Anything else I want to see, I rent the BR from Netflix. I started to buy DVD's when they first come out and had amassed a nice collection. Then we went over to my wifes girlfriend and down in her basement she has a room divider that seperates her movie room from the rest of the basement. It houses her VHS collection, which comprises about 500 VHS tapes. I asked her what are you going to do with all those tapes when you can't get a player. That's when I stopped buying DVD's.

BadAssJazz
02-24-2012, 11:17 PM

Blockbuster rents blu ray movies via mail as well online. Go to their website.

BB is better than Netflix, since they get the movies the same day of release, unlike with Netflix. The downside is that Blockbuster doesn't have nearly as large a movie catalog as Netflix. If you like classics or foreign films, Netflix usually has it when BB doesn't.

I use both services. I've never tried Redbox.

TheHills44060
02-25-2012, 04:39 AM
I really miss all of the local video rental stores. They all closed and made way for Blockbuster, Hollywood video, etc... and now all of those are closed in my area. Only a single small Blockbuster and a Family Video remain.

...Nothing beat browsing the wall for whatever caught my eye at that given moment.

Exactly!

Swish
02-25-2012, 06:13 AM

It does a fantastic job upscaling DVDs, and I really appreciate the USB port on the front. I started putting tons of music on flash drives that I can pop in to listen for hours without touching a cd.

There's another USB port on the back but I use that for their wireless antenna so I can stream Netflix and Pandora.

markw
02-25-2012, 06:52 AM
Both my Sony 580 and Panny 85 do a pretty good job of handling DVD's but, I swear, my old Denon 1940CI does a slightly better job of upconverting DVD's to 1080 than either one, by a slight margin. In some cases, I can't even tell it's "only" a DVD.

...plus it plays SACD's and only cost $88. :D.

blackraven
02-25-2012, 08:49 AM
I have a couple of good DVD players in a Denon and a Yammy S-1800. My Sony S350 BRP is a POS. It came free with my Sony TV. The BRP gives a great picture but it takes about 45 seconds to turn on and 70 years to load. Just call me Rip!

Jack in Wilmington
02-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Both my Sony 580 and Panny 85 do a pretty good job of handling DVD's but, I swear, my old Denon 1940CI does a slightly better job of upconverting DVD's to 1080 than either one, by a slight margin. In some cases, I can't even tell it's "only" a DVD.

...plus it plays SACD's and only cost $88. :D.

The 1940ci is a great little unit. I was in the market for a cheap player for DVD-A's and SACD's when I was upgrading to BR and replacing my Toshiba that played DVD's and DVD-A's. I think I paid $99 for mine but it was worth every cent.

recoveryone
02-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Well, you guys can just send those waste of space BR players to me and I will find some loving homes for them. "Resuced Blue Rays" I'll call it :)

recoveryone
02-25-2012, 12:28 PM
That is why I am so reluctant to buy a BR player. It probably sit and collect dust since majority of my favorite movies are on DVDs and not planning to double dip for BR version.

I thought you already brought one, but was takening it back since it did not look better playing DVD's

Woochifer
02-25-2012, 06:29 PM

Uh, you already bought one and returned it. The entire time you had it, you didn't even try playing a Blu-ray disc. Admit it, you're just a DVD fanboy! :cool:

Woochifer
02-25-2012, 06:34 PM

Big difference in picture quality with Netflix (if you're talking about the streaming service). Blu-ray's only useless in this context if the Netflix picture quality is "good enough." I take it that you don't buy movies. If you're a collector, Blu-ray's going to provide the best picture quality for quite a while, since the streaming options won't offer up nearly enough bandwidth to match the Blu-ray image quality for the foreseeable future.

Blockbuster's about to close 1/3 of their remaining stores, and the ones still standing are reportedly going have more floor area used for promoting Dish Network products. Unfortunately, for those who prefer the B&M rentals, Blockbuster's value right now is primarily tied to their digital delivery rights, which Dish Network can leverage to expand Blockbuster's online streaming service or tie into other offerings for Dish subscribers. The stores are baggage that came with the company when Dish bought it.

Smokey
02-25-2012, 06:51 PM
I thought you already brought one, but was takening it back since it did not look better playing DVD's

I did took it back after having it for 45 days, and Walmart did not even look at box to see if everything was there. She just gave my money back. I went back to electronic dept to see if they got any new stock, and selection for BR players sucks. They had couple of Magnavox, Vizio and low end Sony player that doesn't even have front display.

Think I wait for new BR models to hit the shelves to see if we have better selection.

Uh, you already bought one and returned it. The entire time you had it, you didn't even try playing a Blu-ray disc. Admit it, you're just a DVD fanboy!

Atleast I'm making progress, slow as it is :D

blackraven
02-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Wooch you are right. I rarely if ever buy movies. My wife daughter do occasionally. I was planning on buying an Oppo BD-95 for its video and SACD qaulities but I guess that I will just buy a Samsung BR (because the Sony is so slooowwww, and save my money for a high end used Marantz SA 11S2 player or just continue wit my Yamaha S1800 for SACD.