Jasmine MK III phono stage coming? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jasmine MK III phono stage coming?

bajaed
02-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Read a comment on audiogon that a new version of the Jasmine may be coming. Anyone here heard this?

I was close to buying an MKII but might wait if a newer version is on the way.

frenchmon
02-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Read a comment on audiogon that a new version of the Jasmine may be coming. Anyone here heard this?

I was close to buying an MKII but might wait if a newer version is on the way.

No...I had not heard that one. Is there a link about it some place? I wonder what the improvements will be?

02audionoob
02-19-2012, 09:13 PM
I've been tempted by the current version, upon occasion. I saw a customer comment where they replaced their Dynavector P75 with the Jasmine and were pleased.

bajaed
02-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Only a comment on audiogon with no link. I may email the Jasmine seller on ebay about it.

Enochrome
03-12-2012, 08:02 PM
there's a guy who does a "reference" blog on everything analog and he thinks the jasmine is the best deal for a phono stage out there; his list has many high end gear on it. I'll see if I can find the url.

Poultrygeist
03-14-2012, 03:59 AM
How can the solid state Jasmine be a better deal than the less expensive Jolida JD9 tube phono stage? I'd love to see a shootout between them and I know where I'd put my money.

Enochrome
03-14-2012, 09:40 AM
How can the solid state Jasmine be a better deal than the less expensive Jolida JD9 tube phono stage? I'd love to see a shootout between them and I know where I'd put my money.

I think he might be "no tube" phono stage guy, which does give his claim anymore credibility. They might be both the dual slayers of the analog world. Remember, 6 moons nearly wet themselves over the Jolida and I tend to give them a lot of credit even though they tend to get a little esoterically zany with their tweaks. Although I like that they'll give a "one finger salute" to high end gear in favor of ridiculously cheap stuff; they're more experimental, which I wish stereophile would be.

If I can't solve the gain issue with my 640p I might be on the way to Jolida.

Here's what the guy put into his blog about the Jasmine:

"I've never heard of this phono stage, but a veteran reader is very impressed with it. Good phono stages, especially at reasonable prices, are still difficult to find. Here's his write-up, with my bold:

"Last time I wrote, I had a Benz Micro MC-1 cartridge, which is now minus a cantilever and has been replaced by a Shelter 501 Mk2, mounted on my LP12/Akito.

I've been using various cheapish phono stages without much satisfaction:
Creek OBH-9 (moderately good at everything and not great at anything)
Cambridge Azur 640P, Modified (very similar to the Creek)
MingDa MC-767RD (beautiful mids and highs, but seriously recessed bass and a bit too refined)
PS Audio 4.6 preamp (great tension, but way too brash and forward)

Anyway, I have just purchased a Jasmine LP-2.0SE MM/MC Phono Pre-Amplifier. It cost me AU$550 delivered to my door in 5 days from mainland China (that's about US$500 or EURO$350). At this price, I expected a unit which would be, at best, two or three steps above the Creek or Cambridge. It is in a totally different class. This is by far the best phono stage I have ever used and possibly the best I've ever heard (not that I've heard that many), even without any burn-in time. You need to audition this ridiculously cheap phono preamp.

The sound is hugely dynamic without any sense of artificiality. The first album I played was Stravinsky Sacre du Printemps, Boulez conducting the Cleveland in a half-speed CBS Masterworks pressing which I know well. I was totally blown away! Absolute sense of where each instrument was in the orchestra, with mezzo-piano solos grabbing your attention away from the fortissimos in the background which had always overwhelmed them until now. I'm sure the sound will improve from here."

Personal Notes- Another veteran reader has sent a further observation about this phono stage...

"Your reference to the Jasmine phono stage is the second time I have heard positive info. An audiophile I know, who has a high-end system using Zu Definition speakers and 845 based amps, also uses this phono amp in his system." (10/07)

Personal Note- If the Jasmine phono stage turns out to be actually "special", than we have a (relative) technical breakthrough from our perspective, because it will be the first outstanding preamplifier we know of that was designed and manufactured in China. Of course, there's the bargain price too ($ 565, including shipping, according to the reader). Here's the contact URL for the U.S. distributor:

cruzeFIRST Audio (http://www.cruzefirstaudio.com/)
Jasmine Phono Stage and Empire MC5 Cartridge
This letter from a reader came in early this year. It further confirms the enthusiasm of the reader whose letter was posted in October 2007. The letter has minor editing, and my bold.

"I just wanted to let you know I got one of the Jasmine Audio LP2.0SE phono stages, and compared to my Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE, it's like a Porsche racing a Kia, except, in this case, the German's aren't going to win. I have used it with an Empire MC5 and a Grado Blue MM. It excels over the Lehmann in every respect, especially the true drum sound, and the bass is so good I'm hearing notes I never heard before. I've heard the Lehmann is better than the EAR 834P, if that means anything, and it retails for $895US, while in total the Jasmine was $530CDN.

Oddly, the gap between the Lehmann and the Jasmine is much larger on a Cambridge Audio Azur 540A than my Dussun DS99 amp, which is a far better amp, so this didn't make much sense to me, unless there is some sort of synergy between the Cambridge and Jasmine, or between the Dussun and Lehmann, or oppositely a lack of. Either way, the Jasmine is an amazing phono, and my system never sounded so good. By the way, as far as I know, the Dussun is the OEM amp for Mark Levison's Red Rose Music Passion, which he sells for $3000 (cost me $450 used).

I also suspect whatever you heard about the Empire MC5 is probably true, because I always get the feeling my system is not making the most of it. When I first heard it I was shocked. The difference between the MC5 and my Grado Red were even more dramatic than when I first compared vinyl to CD. I think with the Lehmann I could have benfited from an MC step up, but with the Jasmine I don't feel the need." (1/08)

Personal Note- This is potentially great news, but I would still appreciate even more confirmation of these readers' observations.

Another Jasmine Phono Stage "Rave"
It didn't take long for someone to answer my recent request (above) for further confirmation about the Jasmine. This reader may be even more enthusiastic, if that's possible. Minor editing and my bold:

"Just dropping a quick note to tell you that I bought the now infamous "Jasmine phono stage" from China, and I have been blown away at the quality, dynamics, soundstage and low noise of this low cost phono stage. It has replaced my Dynavector P75. It is incredible for the price point. It definitely should be priced higher*, because it can compete with almost everything out there for at least twice that amount. I was using it with my old VPI Scout - Dynavector 17D2 combo, and now with my new Nottingham Space 294 - 17D2 combo, and it has carried extraordinarily well with the upgrade. I was so impressed, that I bought two of them, the other for my father as a gift, and he sold his old phono stage as well..." (1/08)

*I hope not. Consider this "wish" as the reader's innocent "audio enthusiasm". There's too much artificial audio price inflation as it is."

Here's the URL:REFERENCE COMPONENTS-PHONO STAGES (http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-PhonoStages.html)

02audionoob
03-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Although I've heard a system using a JD9 but have not heard one using a Jasmine, I'd put my money on the Jasmine. Since I don't have the chance to audition much equipment, I sometimes try to figure out who to trust in the reviews and the forums. Based on whose opinions I've read...If I were going to make a choice, I'd be inclined to believe the Jasmine is better.

Poultrygeist
03-14-2012, 06:13 PM
The modded JD9 is in another league and the mods are simple.

frenchmon
03-15-2012, 04:09 AM
Can you describe the difference in the stock version versus the modded version Poultry?

Poultrygeist
03-16-2012, 04:42 AM
Having read hundreds of posts on AK, AC, and Vinyl Asylum as well as the glowing review and Realization Award from 6moons I was anxious to give it a go. To read in the review that the stock JD9 sounded good enough to dispatch a $1800 Wright Sound AG was impressive. On VA you can read the long list of other extablished phono stages that the JD9 bested.

There are so many clear pictures and details of the simple mods I really didn't wait long before I started them. Consequently there's more "after" to report than "before". Out of the box I recall it didn't give the syrupy sweet presentation of the CJ but articulated detail way better. The bass was good enough but I hoped it would tighten up with better caps ( and did it ever ). From the get go I was impressed with the extended highs and rich tonality. The mids which are the addiction of SET/FR owners were captivating.

With the Obliggato caps came even better extensive, wider sound stage and deeper controlled and weighty bass. The quietness and velvet smoothness of the JD9 which I noted from the beginning was the real winner for me and scary good. I hear nothing but music and I feel as though I'm listening to a CD laced with living cells.

The op amp ungrade was the most expensive mod and while the effects were not as dramatic as the large Obligatto caps ( replacing chicklet sized no-names ) the results gave even more resolution and clarity. I'm still back and forth on tubes between new issue Mullards and vintage Telefunkens. Can't decide which I prefer.

frenchmon, I wish you could hear what the Jolida does with Redman's "Moodswings". If I get these results with an entry level Shure M97xe and a 40 year old automatic what might I expect from a better TT and high end MC?

frenchmon
03-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Having read hundreds of posts on AK, AC, and Vinyl Asylum as well as the glowing review and Realization Award from 6moons I was anxious to give it a go. To read in the review that the stock JD9 sounded good enough to dispatch a $1800 Wright Sound AG was impressive. On VA you can read the long list of other extablished phono stages that the JD9 bested.

There are so many clear pictures and details of the simple mods I really didn't wait long before I started them. Consequently there's more "after" to report than "before". Out of the box I recall it didn't give the syrupy sweet presentation of the CJ but articulated detail way better. The bass was good enough but I hoped it would tighten up with better caps ( and did it ever ). From the get go I was impressed with the extended highs and rich tonality. The mids which are the addiction of SET/FR owners were captivating.

With the Obliggato caps came even better extensive, wider sound stage and deeper controlled and weighty bass. The quietness and velvet smoothness of the JD9 which I noted from the beginning was the real winner for me and scary good. I hear nothing but music and I feel as though I'm listening to a CD laced with living cells.

The op amp ungrade was the most expensive mod and while the effects were not as dramatic as the large Obligatto caps ( replacing chicklet sized no-names ) the results gave even more resolution and clarity. I'm still back and forth on tubes between new issue Mullards and vintage Telefunkens. Can't decide which I prefer.

frenchmon, I wish you could Redman's "Moodswings". If I get these results with an entry level Shure M97xe and a 40 year old automatic what might I expect from a better TT and high end MC?

Not quite understanding what you are asking me about "Moodswings"...I assume you are saying you wish I could hear Redmans Moodswing on your system and what might a better turntable and cart sound like? Well they possibly will take your system up another notch or two.

How are you enjoying Redman? I like his dad even more.

Poultrygeist
03-16-2012, 01:34 PM
"Moodswings" is an excellent album. Thanks for recommending it.

frenchmon
03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
"Moodswings" is an excellent album. Thanks for recommending it.

You're welcome!