So, what's the verdict on the new Mastadon? The Hunter [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So, what's the verdict on the new Mastadon? The Hunter

Mr Peabody
02-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Based on only samples I haven't bought any Mastadon in the past, I think it is the vocals. The Hunter is quite a departure from their earlier stuff, not only clean vocals but shorter songs, not as Prog. I did buy this album though and like it a lot. One of the things I like other than it really Rocks is the songs don't sound the same. Some are high energy, a couple sort of droan, one I'd even call a power ballad of sorts, I really get lost in the last track. It would be cool on the next album to keep with this style but go back to adding some extended Prog tracks. I don't see how something off this album couldn't get the band some airplay. I can see several tracks being added to my mp3. I can't fault the band for following suit with bands like Slipknot who have tightened up production to gain more mass appeal.

Duds
02-19-2012, 05:01 AM
I like the album a lot, just not as much as Crack The Sky or Blood Mountain. I love the early stuff too, but like you said, it's totally different music.

Curl of the Burl is the best tune from The Hunter, imo.

kexodusc
02-19-2012, 01:32 PM
It's ok. It's not as good as Crack The Sky or Leviathan IMO but it's still pretty good and grows on you the more you play it. These guys are on a roll doing their thing. Anything from them is an auto-buy for me now.

3LB
02-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Definitely more of a stoner rock vibe on this one and I like it.

Stone
02-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Definitely more of a stoner rock vibe on this one and I like it.

Sounds like I might like it then. They were starting to lose me with the prog leanings on their last couple LPs.

Rae
02-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Stoner rock and not stoner metal being the operative distinction here... this is really not my style. Listening to "Curl the Burl" on YouTube made me go running for "Mother Puncher" just to remind myself that they were once endearingly nerdy and had some rough edges. This seems like pretty serviceable QotSA-style desert bar rock if that's what you're looking for, though. I guess I'm not trying to knock it other than to say that their trajectory has been one I wouldn't have fathomed when I was getting spit on by Troy Sanders ca 2002.

~Rae

Duds
02-22-2012, 03:12 PM
I wouldnt classify this as stoner rock....just my opinion though

3LB
02-22-2012, 06:17 PM
QotSA is good comparison, maybe even Black Mountain. Then what is Stoner Rock then?

Stone
02-23-2012, 05:58 AM
Stoner rock and not stoner metal being the operative distinction here... this is really not my style. Listening to "Curl the Burl" on YouTube made me go running for "Mother Puncher" just to remind myself that they were once endearingly nerdy and had some rough edges. This seems like pretty serviceable QotSA-style desert bar rock if that's what you're looking for, though. I guess I'm not trying to knock it other than to say that their trajectory has been one I wouldn't have fathomed when I was getting spit on by Troy Sanders ca 2002.

~Rae

Good to know. Remission is still my fave of what I've heard of them (which is all of the full lengths save for the newest long player).