Question re. electricity [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question re. electricity

tcontas
04-16-2004, 03:22 PM
I think I'm going insane, so I'm hoping some of you might be able to disabuse me of that notion. On some days, my speakers sound very full, rich, lots of low end and punch, etc., and on other days (same placement, receiver, recordings, etc.), the speakers sound quite a bit "weaker," more anemic, less robust, etc. I know zilch about electricity, but am curious as to whether it's possible that my electric service isn't consistently "strong" or effective or whatever word you want to use. Or maybe my receiver is working erratically? Anyone have any ideas at all about this? As I said, it may all be in my feeble mind... Thanks. Oh, also, if you've actually heard of something like this and there's an explanation for it, is there also a remedy that won't break the bank?

cam
04-16-2004, 05:42 PM
I think I'm going insane, so I'm hoping some of you might be able to disabuse me of that notion. On some days, my speakers sound very full, rich, lots of low end and punch, etc., and on other days (same placement, receiver, recordings, etc.), the speakers sound quite a bit "weaker," more anemic, less robust, etc. I know zilch about electricity, but am curious as to whether it's possible that my electric service isn't consistently "strong" or effective or whatever word you want to use. Or maybe my receiver is working erratically? Anyone have any ideas at all about this? As I said, it may all be in my feeble mind... Thanks. Oh, also, if you've actually heard of something like this and there's an explanation for it, is there also a remedy that won't break the bank?
One thing to keep in mind, when it is completely dark when watching a killer dvd, it will always sound better then during the middle of the day when the sun is shining through your windows and skylites. When you can see all your speakers for some reason they just don't sound as rich and powerful. It's all in your mind, unless it is high noon and it sounds better from one day to another. Over the years I have just come to accept that my system to me sounds better at night time them during the day time.

Geoffcin
04-16-2004, 06:32 PM

I've also heard the stories that it is an illusion, but I have heard with my own ears EXACTLY what you discribe, and I belive it is true. During the day there's a lot of electric motors running, and I think they add a lot of noise into the lines. I've found that nights and sunday mornings are the best time to listen.

topspeed
04-16-2004, 07:21 PM

Music is inherently an emotional medium so you're state of mind will definitely have an effect on your perceptions. I would think that variances in outlet power would have to swing dramatically for it to affect the performance of your receiver, but who knows? An easy way to find out is to put a power plant on it like a PS Audio P300, P600, or P1000. Mind you, these are not simply glorified surge protectors. They stabilize the power at a set current and keep it there regardless of what is going on at the outlet. You might want to give one a try and see if it makes a difference. Report back to us when you know.

Hope this helps.