Americans love us 'Nucks-- we're their No. 1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Americans love us 'Nucks-- we're their No. 1

Luvin Da Blues
02-17-2012, 04:00 AM
Hey, Canada: Americans like us. They really, really like us. In fact, they like us better than anyone, anywhere on the planet.

Nearly all Americans, a full 96 per cent, have a favourable view of Canada, according to a new Gallup survey. That's the loftiest ranking for any foreign country since Gallup began the poll two decades ago.

America's neighbour to the north has long been the darling of the survey.

"Canada's 93 per cent ratings in 1987 and 1989 were the previous high favourable for any country," the pollster said in a release.

This year's love-in comes despite the Obama administration's recent decision to reject Calgary-based TransCanada's Keystone XL pipeline, and amid a spate of lower-profile trade irritants between the two nations.

The poll was released just hours after Canada's environment minister, Peter Kent, appeared alongside Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to announce Canada was joining a U.S.-led effort to combat global warming.

Canada has been a subject of conversation on Capitol Hill this week as well. New York state lawmakers urged Janet Napolitano, the homeland security secretary, to consider Buffalo's Peace Bridge as a pilot pre-inspection centre as part of the recently announced Beyond The Border initiatives.

"That's a very, very important border crossing at the Peace Bridge for commerce, for our shared communities in the United States and Canada," Democratic congressman Brian Higgins told her.

Why are we so beloved?

"Other than the fact that you're so darn loveable?" asks Christopher Sands, an Canada-U.S. relations expert at the Hudson Institute thinktank in Washington.

"There are a lot of positives. Americans loved the Winter Olympics last year, Canada was in Afghanistan and that got a lot of press here, the Canadian economy is good and that's impressive; there's simply an absence of negatives," he said.

"You're never attacked any of our embassies, you don't want to direct any missiles at us and unlike the southern border, there are no problems with organized crime or drug crimes, you're peaceful and stable. What's not to love? Our love is genuine."

But the survey suggests Canada better keep its eye on the Aussies, Australia is right behind us in second place at 93 per cent. Great Britain is in third at 90 per cent.

Iran, meantime, ranks last at 10 per cent. North Korea is in second last at 13 per and Afghanistan rounds out the bottom three at 14 per cent. China's ratings are also continuing a downward spiral evident in the last few surveys.

Indeed, the countries with the lowest ratings are overwhelmingly located in the Middle East or Asia.

Feanor
02-17-2012, 05:43 AM
Oh gee shucks. Americans, we Canadians love you too: never doubt. We know there is the odd Yank who doesn't love us so much -- but those folks are more to be pitied than despised.

StevenSurprenant
02-17-2012, 06:34 AM
I've been to Canada many times and have enjoyed myself. The first time I was there, back in 1970, my car blew and engine and had to be towed to the Volkswagen dealer in London, Ontario. They replaced the engine, offered free bus tickets to visit downtown while we waited, and offered to put us up for the night. The total bill for this was $300. Then just before I left, they offered me a job. Amazing!

Another time in the middle 90's I took my german shepard dog with me to see Niagara falls on the Canadian side. Going through the border into Canada, this young girl greeted me with a smile, wished me a good time and petted my dog (he loved that). Coming back into the USA, the border guard wouldn't get within 10 feet of the car because of the dog and kept yelling at me, "What nationality is the dog?" What a difference!

So, I too, have a special place in my heart for Canadians. Perhaps it was only because I was visiting, but I always felt relaxed there.

ForeverAutumn
02-17-2012, 07:04 AM
That's very nice. But I'm keeping a close eye on Australia. They're very sly, those Aussies. All it takes is a nicer Valentine's Day heart or a bigger chocolate Easter bunny and we're bumped down to #2. :nonod:

"What Nationality is the dog"? Really? Is there such a thing as a Puppy Passport?

RGA
02-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Living in BC heading down to watch the Jays Mariners series - pretty much just seems like the same country to me in all the ways that count.

Maybe they just love us for the girls :-)

Luvin Da Blues
02-18-2012, 02:56 AM
Living in BC heading down to watch the Jays Mariners series - pretty much just seems like the same country to me in all the ways that count.

Maybe they just love us for the girls :-)

I can't argue too much with that, we're pretty much just unarmed Americans with health care. :lol:

RGA
02-18-2012, 04:35 AM
I can't argue too much with that, we're pretty much just unarmed Americans with health care. :lol:

Yeah they're pretending to love us for the health care - :18: Hook a Canuck! - Meet Canadian Singles (http://hookacanuck.com/)

TheHills44060
02-18-2012, 04:54 AM
Only issue i have with Canada is that you cannot cross the border from the US if you have a DUI on your record. Of course the Canadian embassy will miraculously consider a person "rehabilitated" if you fill out endless paperwork and pay a crapload of money...

Luvin Da Blues
02-18-2012, 05:43 AM
Yeah they're pretending to love us for the health care - :18: Hook a Canuck! - Meet Canadian Singles (http://hookacanuck.com/)

My point was that we are all pretty much the same. In my experiences. if it wasn't for regional accents you couldn't us apart for the most part eh.

Feanor
02-18-2012, 06:16 AM
Only issue i have with Canada is that you cannot cross the border from the US if you have a DUI on your record. Of course the Canadian embassy will miraculously consider a person "rehabilitated" if you fill out endless paperwork and pay a crapload of money...
I guess there's some sort of lesson there.

TheHills44060
02-18-2012, 06:27 AM
I guess there's some sort of lesson there.
Yeah tell me about it...in Canada the almighty buck trumps all! No different than anywhere else I guess but the fact that you have to buy your way in is absurd.

ForeverAutumn
02-18-2012, 06:44 AM
I was thinking that the lesson was more like DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE MORON!!!

TheHills44060
02-18-2012, 06:49 AM
I was thinking that the lesson was more like DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE MORON!!!
There's no debating that of course but my buddy can no longer drive up and see his family in Toronto just because he had a few beers and blew over the limit BUT if he greases the palms of a few people Canada will turn the other cheek. That's the part that disgusts me.

RGA
02-18-2012, 07:17 AM
TheHills44060

No one ever said the government wasn't corrupt - the premier of British Columbia was caught drinking and driving and didn't lose his job. Politicians are supposed to be "leaders" and you would think be model citizens but because it occurred out of country he didn't break Canadian law so there you have it.

With the fee it is possible that it is used to pay for employees who have to do paperwork or run a department for citizens with red flags entering the country. Shows up with a DUI - they have to report the information someplace.

I am generally pleased by the border doing their job. I had my Honda Civic hatchback stolen - a few days later I got my car back. 2 months later I was crossing the border to visit my parents in Blaine Washington. Get to the border and the guy says to me "Do you know your car was reported stolen?" I said "yes but I got it back 2 months ago" He gives me a knowing look but 4 massive U.S. border officers are walking up behind my car.

"Exit the vehicle and put your hands on the hood." LOL - cuffed me took me inside.

Apparently the police who found my car did not notify border patrol - as an owner I am supposed to do this - who would know that eh? Didn't bother me - at least I know they report these things and they're doing the job. Still having 4 Large 6'5 guys who looked like NFL linebackers pointing guns at you is somewhat nerve racking. Given my car was black with mags and tinted glass - and my wearing a leather jacket - man.

TheHills44060
02-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Apparently the police who found my car did not notify border patrol - as an owner I am supposed to do this - who would know that eh?
Wow I never would have guessed either...crazy story RGA!

ForeverAutumn
02-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Still having 4 Large 6'5 guys who looked like NFL linebackers pointing guns at you is somewhat nerve racking. YIKES!!!

I had my car stolen and recovered a few years ago. I reported the recovery to the Insurance Company and the police but what the cop on the phone didn't tell me was that I had to report it in person so that the cops could verify my identity as the owner of the car.

I found this out when I tried to renew my license plates and couldn't because the plates were still reported stolen. I had to go to a police station with ownership, insurance and photo ID in hand. A cop had to walk out to my car to verify the VIN, and then he updated the file. He told me that I was very lucky that I wasn't pulled over in the meantime because the car was reported stolen and I would have been arrested.

So, a note to everyone else. If your car is stolen and recovered. Make sure that you take the right steps to clear the car with the authorities.

GMichael
02-21-2012, 08:23 AM
How many of you nuks have had your cars stolen? What happened to the, 'no crime' thing?

ForeverAutumn
02-21-2012, 08:33 AM
How many of you nuks have had your cars stolen? What happened to the, 'no crime' thing?

At least in Canada the thieves wait until we're not in the car before stealing them. :p

It's a long story but, technically, my car was never stolen. It was just reported stolen. It was on the dealer's lot for a repair. Someone broke into the dealership and stole the keys. But they never actually stole my car. The dealer assumed that my car had been stolen and reported it.

After two weeks, my insurance company approved a replacement. When I went to speak to the sales manager about ordering a new car I found my car on the lot exactly where I left it...parked two spaces away from the main entrance! Needless to say I never returned to that dealership.

That's the short version.

GMichael
02-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Did you have spare keys?

dean_martin
02-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Why are we so beloved?

Your bacon - although it's really not bacon, it's on all our egg mcmuffins. :)

Feanor
02-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Your bacon - although it's really not bacon, it's on all our egg mcmuffins. :)
It's refer to as "back bacon" here in the Great White North. :cornut:

ForeverAutumn
02-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Did you have spare keys?

Because the story isn't weird enough...

There's an organization in Canada (might be in the US too, I don't know) called The War Amps. They raise money to help amputees with training, equipment, whatever is needed to adjust. They have a keytag program that they use to solicit donations. They send a tag with a unique number for your keychain. If you find keys with a War Amps tag, you put them in any mailbox. Canada Post will deliver them to The War Amps and then they can use the unique number to locate your address and mail the keys to you.

The morning that I was to meet with the Sales Manager, there was a Purolator package at my door. It contained my keys! I figure the theives ditched the keys and someone found them and put them in the mailbox. So I had my keys and that afternoon I found my car.

ForeverAutumn
02-22-2012, 03:11 PM
It's refer to as "back bacon" here in the Great White North. :cornut:

I still find it strange when I'm in the States and someone refers to Canadian Bacon. I also find it strange that American's refer to American Cheese. We just call it cheese.

markw
02-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Ya know what most of us call Canadian bacon?

Ham!

Robert-The-Rambler
02-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Pam Anderson: Canadian

Elisha Cuthbert: Canadian

Leslie Neilsen: Canadian

Rush: Canadian

Not bad off the top of my head.

Robert-The-Rambler
02-22-2012, 04:33 PM
I still find it strange when I'm in the States and someone refers to Canadian Bacon. I also find it strange that American's refer to American Cheese. We just call it cheese.

But we do that to distinguish that cheese from other cheeses. As a cheese eater there are so many cheeses and I haven't found one I don't like.

RGA
02-22-2012, 09:58 PM
If you have not done it yet - next time you make an omelet put blue cheese in it. Or for that matter on a burger.

RGA
02-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Unfortunately Canada also has to take responsibility for Celine Dion and Justin Beber.

But maybe there is a Canadian singer/musician you'll like from the following

List of Canadian musicians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_musicians)

RGA
02-23-2012, 07:34 AM
PS

I was under the impression that I was the only Canadian HAM on this board. ;)

Luvin Da Blues
02-23-2012, 07:39 AM
Unfortunately Canada also has to take responsibility for Celine Dion and Justin Beber.

List of Canadian musicians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_musicians)

Not on that list but, I just found out the other day that Paul Rodgers (Free, Bad Company, The Firm, Queen) lives in my town and now has his Canadian citizenship.

'The Voice' coming to Kelowna | Local Entertainment | Kelowna Daily Courier (http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/local-entertainment/the-voice-coming-to-kelowna.html)

GMichael
02-23-2012, 11:58 AM
But we do that to distinguish that cheese from other cheeses. As a cheese eater there are so many cheeses and I haven't found one I don't like.

I don't like fumunda cheese.

Robert-The-Rambler
02-24-2012, 07:37 AM
I don't like fumunda cheese.

Good thing I googled it first. LOL

Robert-The-Rambler
02-24-2012, 07:42 AM

At least Celine is associated with the sinking of the Titanic. Maybe when the Captain heard the music he was overcome with the urge to commit suicide.