Subwoofer Recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Recommendations

Rake
02-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Hello all… new to the forum and I’m looking for some subwoofer help. Due to my work and the lifestyle that following the work has required, I’m also fairly new to surround sound. That said, I’m looking to purchase my first sub.

I’m currently in a small apartment in a mid-rise building.. It’s a quiet place, I’ve got a fairly good relationship with my surrounding neighbors and would like to keep it that way. My listening area is approximately 12’ x 17’ with my prime spot centered in the room, i.e. the room is a combo LR/DR and my seating is the divide between the living area and the dining area, approximately 9’ from the front speakers. I’m looking for a sub to match up with the gear listed below,

I understand that more power generally equates to better sound even at low volumes, but my main concern at the moment is that I really don’t want to rattle the floors and walls with a sub… at least not right now.

I also own a home which, due to the aforementioned work, I’m currently renting out. My hope is that, when my project ends next winter/early spring, I can finally move back into my house. The listening area is a bit smaller (10’ x 15’, with the seating across the short side); the living area is separate from the remainder of the house. Once I get into the house, I’m far enough away from neighbors that volume and rattle won’t be a concern. So, I also would like to get something that I’ll be able to feel once I’ve moved. I will also likely purchase floor standing speakers to pair up front with the bookshelf speakers I currently have. I need to do something about those surround speakers, too. I likely won’t have room for rear speakers unless I can figure out how to put them in the wall directly behind the seats.

Right now, I’m looking for a sub to sound good at low volume now and will sound and feel good later. I don’t want to say that money is no object, but I suspect I’m looking for something below $1200. I’m looking primarily at continuing the Klipsch line although I’m very much open to other recommendations. Thing is, I’m not going to pay list for an SW-310 or 311… the SW-310 is on ebay for less than $700 and not much more on Amazon. So, I suppose that something under 1k is more what I’m looking to spend.

Any and all suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated…

Mike

My stuff...
Onkyo TX-NR709
Front: Klipsch RB-61 II
Center: Klipsch RC-52 II
Surround: 20+ yo Polk M series

Worf101
02-16-2012, 04:39 PM
There are a great many folks here that can give you good if not great recommendations for small to moderate sized subs. My brand is HSU, I've a 10 and a 12 incher both might be too big and powerful for your situation. I'd recommend something in an 8-inch. The problem will be that lower frequency sound waves, due to their physics, travel farther than high frequency thats why you hear the booming cars bass long before you hear or see anything else. Therefore you might not be hearing much bass if it's set up or calibrated wrong but your neighbors could be losing their fillings.

Worf

LeRoy
02-16-2012, 04:45 PM
I agree with Worf. Your best bet to keep the peace with your neighbors is an 8 inch sub and a larger sub would probably be too much for your room anyway. Your probably good to keep it under 200 watts of power. I will be back with a couple of considerations for you.

Here would be my considerations:
Bravus 8A Powered Subwoofer - Aperion Audio (http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Bravus-8A-Powered-Subwoofer,184,66,451.aspx)

and

PSB SubSeries 1 Powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_760SUB1/PSB-SubSeries-1.html?tp=187&avf=N)

last but not least..

Mirage Omni S8 Black 8" black 100W powered subwoofer | Vanns.com (http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/549349941/mirage-omni-s8-black?s_c=site_search)

Good luck with your research.

Rake
02-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Therefore you might not be hearing much bass if it's set up or calibrated wrong but your neighbors could be losing their fillings.

Thanks, Worf... that's my main fear

I also forgot to mention that my listening (as far as the bass is concerned) is primarily music. I mostly listen to blues, R&B and 60's/70's R&R. I do watch movies, but mostly dramas, comedy and documentaries... not a tremendous amount of low frequency stuff there. BUT, I do enjoy war movies (BoB, The Pacific, SPR) and there's a lot of stuff going Boom! in those.

Rake
02-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Thank you, LeRoy... I will be checking these out for sure. I was leaning toward an 8-inch but was afraid it might not be enough when I move. I guess I could always add a second when I get home.

I'll report back when I make a decision.

Thanks again

cackalacky
02-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Here's one for about a tenth of your budget. The reviewers say it's only downside is that doesn't provide the dramatic thunder, boom, and explosion for HT. For music listening in small space with close neighbors, just fine.

cackalacky
02-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Here's one for about a tenth of your budget. The reviewers say it's only downside is that doesn't provide the dramatic thunder, boom, and explosion for HT. For music listening in small space with close neighbors, just fine.

OOPS. Amazon.com: Polk Audio Monitor Series PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer (Single, Cherry): Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Monitor-10-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B00030CHQ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329449698&sr=8-3)

LeRoy
02-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Thank you, LeRoy... I will be checking these out for sure. I was leaning toward an 8-inch but was afraid it might not be enough when I move. I guess I could always add a second when I get home.

Thanks again

In re-reading your post it dawned on me that you are wanting something that will fill you needs once you get back to your home environs. You seem to be quite a conscientious person in taking your neighbors into account and therefore I am assuming you probably have a good measure of self control,

I used to have a Velodyne sub, VX10 ( I think it was 100 watts) and I preferred the VX10 over the RBH 300 watt sub that I also had ( I wound up giving them both to each one of my nephews and then got a Rel r-528) Given the current price and that you are going to be home in a year, and have concern for your current neighbors and probably would not go crazy with the volume ...you may want to research the Velodyne VX11. Be sure to read the customer reviews!

Velodyne VX-11 10" black 100W powered subwoofer | Vanns.com (http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/details/549356948/velodyne-vx-11)

frenchmon
02-17-2012, 07:32 AM

Thanks again

I have that same Mirage 8 inch sub that LeRoy recommended in my home theater and I can assure you, it is more than enough with movies in my family room which is 24x 28.

I think another member here Hyfi has that same sub as well and I think he likes it too.

LeRoy
02-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Frenchmon, did you ever get an opportunity to check out the Mirage Omni S10 sub? The reason I ask is I have Mirage Nanosats and I have always wanted to pair it with a Mirage Omni sub but never sure which one to get. The S8 does the job then?

GMichael
02-17-2012, 09:35 AM
If you can twist a screw driver, then the Dayton Audio T1003K 10" Titanic Mk III Subwoofer Kit is a good choice as well at $400. Free shipping.
Dayton Audio T1003K 10" Titanic Mk III Subwoofer Kit 300-760 (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-760)

I have the 15" and it has a nice sound at affordable pricing.

blackraven
02-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Here are a few-

Martin Logan Dynamo's- very musical, tight bass, great for music and movies and it has wireless transmitter or can be connected with wires

MartinLogan - Dynamo 700 - Wireless Capable Subwoofer-Audio Advisor (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MLDYN700)

MartinLogan - Dynamo 1000 - Wireless Capable Subwoofer-Audio Advisor (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MLDYN1000)

Rhythmik subs- These are great subs for the money.

Rythmik Audio • Servo subwoofer products (http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html)

These Velodyne subs are excellent as well, Very musical and they come with a remote

Velodyne - Optimum - 10 in. - Subwoofer-Audio Advisor (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VEOP10)

All these subs are non-ported and have nice tight, fast, non muddy musical bass. Mainly because I use them mostly for music and need a sub that can keep up with my Magnepan speakers.

All the recommendations other people have given you are good. There are many options for subs and every one has their favorites. I favor musical subs good for music and Movies. The Martin Logan's are a great buy.

Rake
02-17-2012, 04:07 PM
In re-reading your post it dawned on me that you are wanting something that will fill you needs once you get back to your home environs. You seem to be quite a conscientious person in taking your neighbors into account and therefore I am assuming you probably have a good measure of self control.

Self control is a learned attribute although it has taken me many years. I plan to let my neighbors (especially the one below) know once I make my pick. Hopefully, they'll tell me first if I'm pushing their limits.

draco
02-18-2012, 09:36 PM
I really like sealed subwoofers for sound quality. I have ACI Force XL and I'm very happy with it. Unfortunately ACI closed business so now you can only buy them used.

mlenda
02-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Ditto on blackraven's Martin Logan Dynamo recommendations -- I've got the 700 and it disappears into the room. Got a roommate living underneath me that I like not to annoy, and this ML has been great for it. Very fast response.

Enochrome
02-21-2012, 11:42 AM
I have a question that is a little off topic:

I want to make a pair of subs out of some 12" drivers that I have. I want them to compliment my Spica TC-50's.

Can I run the subs with my Acurus DIA-100 and the Spica's with my Jolida-502a. If so does anyone know what the best approach is. Do I need to make an external crossover? or what?

Fred70433
02-22-2012, 07:30 AM
You might look into REL subs and also the Definative Technologies subs.

Rake
02-26-2012, 04:15 PM
II used to have a Velodyne sub, VX10 ( I think it was 100 watts) and I preferred the VX10 over the RBH 300 watt sub that I also had ( I wound up giving them both to each one of my nephews and then got a Rel r-528) Given the current price and that you are going to be home in a year, and have concern for your current neighbors and probably would not go crazy with the volume ...you may want to research the Velodyne VX11. Be sure to read the customer reviews!

After looking into a majority of the recommendations, I decided to go with the Velodyne VX-11. Direct from the manufacturer, it was $159, or roughly 15% of my budget. After reading all the reviews I could find, it sounded like I could hardly go wrong at that price. And, should I find I need something more substantial once I move into my house, I shouldl have a benchmark for evaluating other subs.

Thanks again to all for your assistance. I'm not a frequent poster on any of the forums that I visit, but I can assure you that I'll be lurking often.

Mike

LeRoy
02-26-2012, 06:16 PM
After looking into a majority of the recommendations, I decided to go with the Velodyne VX-11. Direct from the manufacturer, it was $159, or roughly 15% of my budget. After reading all the reviews I could find, it sounded like I could hardly go wrong at that price. And, should I find I need something more substantial once I move into my house, I shouldl have a benchmark for evaluating other subs.

Thanks again to all for your assistance. I'm not a frequent poster on any of the forums that I visit, but I can assure you that I'll be lurking often.

Mike

Your welcome on behalf of all our forum contributors. Sounds like you got a really great price. I think you will be really pleased with the VX11. Happy movie watching :)

lindalou
02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
I know this is in the wrong thread, but I cannot figure out how else to post.

What I would like to know is whether it is worthwhile to buy an old pair of speakers if it's a good brand, e.g., Advent Laureate. I don't have much cash, but need new speakers. How do I know if a speaker, even if good in its day, is still good? Thanks.

RoyY51
02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Whichever sub you choose, it might be a good idea to (as much as possible) decouple it from the floor of your present digs. This would cut down on the vibrations being transmitted to your downstairs neighbor's ceiling. The most promising geometry that I've read about seems to be sandwiching layers of different materials. I have read of marble tile being used top and bottom, with corkboard in between. I've also heard of cement pavers being used...in fact, my next-door-neighbor used the pavers between the sub and his hardwood floor to cut down on the "boominess" that he was experiencing. It worked!

Another idea, which I plan to implement myself, is to build a subwoofer stand. I'm going to use 2x12 lumber, cut 2" holes in the sides of the box, fill it with acoustically absorbent material, then cover the sides with fabric. I'll then use either rubber or brass footers to further decouple it from my floor.

Once you find the configuration that works best for you, just paint the whole thing black to make it disappear.

Good Luck!

JoeE SP9
02-27-2012, 06:21 PM

What I would like to know is whether it is worthwhile to buy an old pair of speakers if it's a good brand, e.g., Advent Laureate. I don't have much cash, but need new speakers. How do I know if a speaker, even if good in its day, is still good? Thanks.

You listen to them!!!!! Let your ears decide.

Rmac58
03-04-2012, 02:24 PM
There are a great many folks here that can give you good if not great recommendations for small to moderate sized subs. My brand is HSU,

Worf

Mine too!

Just installed a VTF-2 MK 4.

Still deciding what's the best settings, including two ports that can be closed off.

Rmac58
03-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Yes, a listen is in order to determine any abuse.

Most quality speakers last for years, even decades.

Rmac58
03-15-2012, 12:51 PM
This sub is getting better the more I listen.