An Interesting Addition to My "Airport Terminal Pack" Post... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Addition to My "Airport Terminal Pack" Post...

Lexmark3200
04-16-2004, 01:09 PM
Those of you familiar with Universal's new "Airport Terminal Pack" four-disc release of the 1970's disaster flicks, which I reported on below, may or may not know about what I unfortunately discovered after watching "Airport '77".....I am not even going to get into the horrible audio quality of these releases, or the horrid video transfer of the grainy "Airport 1975"....but after watching my favorite '77, I noticed that SO MANY of the scenes were missing....apparently there was a TV version of the film which explained the leading up to the robbery, an opening sequence where they are stealing the gas from a military installation in order to knock out the passengers when they take over the 747.....and many more scenes that I noticed were missing. I know this set was only $26, but what the hell is Universal doing? I feel raped on this purchase. Unsatisfying audio presentations (mono soundtracks that sound muted and weak), plus the thought of what Universal did to us home theater junkies with their defective Jurassic Park DTS discs.....what is going on over there at Universal?

dean_martin
04-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Hey Lex, I remember Airport '77 having me on the edge of my seat as a kid. I also remember some other disaster flicks from back then like Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure that still get tv play. Can you recommend any others from the good ol' days that might be worth tracking down? Thanks.

Lexmark3200
04-19-2004, 08:23 PM
Hey Lex, I remember Airport '77 having me on the edge of my seat as a kid. I also remember some other disaster flicks from back then like Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure that still get tv play. Can you recommend any others from the good ol' days that might be worth tracking down? Thanks.

Hey Mr. Martin,

Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure were great disaster flicks; along with the Airport films, you can try these...."The Taking of Flight 847: The Uli Derickson Story," "The Tragedy of Flight 103: The Inside Story," "Tailspin: The Korean Airliner Tragedy". Also, while not a disaster flick, try and rent "The Taking of Pelham One Two Three" with Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw....the most fun you'll have in the subways of NYC.

Lexmark3200
04-19-2004, 08:25 PM

Also, Dean, I wanted to add to your reply....Airport '77 is the one we all remember as kids....the image of that Stevens Corporation 747 crashing into the ocean is burned into my memory now, and to watch it on DVD was a treat, kind of.....Universal has provided a HORRIBLE chopped version of this film in the DVD set, with footage that was missing from the TV cut----IMPORTANT footage. Overall, I feel ripped off on this purchase. The picture quality of the films are okay but the sound sucks on all of them and the bad version of Airport 77 makes it all the worse.

But its as kids, as you say, that we remember these disaster films....sometimes now, watching the cheesy FX and horrible acting, I wonder what drew me to these in the first place.....

paul_pci
04-19-2004, 10:59 PM

You know, O.J. Simpson was in Towering Inferno. Makes you wonder just how that fire really started.

As a Souther California native, I have to make a shameless plug for Earthquake. And I hear there is a new rock-em-sock-em earthquake movie in the works, thirty years later, but with the same disregard for realism as the original.

Lexmark3200
04-19-2004, 11:09 PM
You know, O.J. Simpson was in Towering Inferno. Makes you wonder just how that fire really started.

As a Souther California native, I have to make a shameless plug for Earthquake. And I hear there is a new rock-em-sock-em earthquake movie in the works, thirty years later, but with the same disregard for realism as the original.

Hahahahahhahahaha!!! Paul, you are right....the murderer (whoops----I meant Simpson) WAS in the Inferno....too bad Nicole wasnt in that building; there would have been our proof.

I forgot Earthquake! Absolutely belongs on that list. Anyone remember SENNSURROUND?