Cabling a HT system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cabling a HT system

radioflier
02-07-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm real new at this HT business so please work with me.

I'm shopping for a 5.1 HT receiver in the $400 - 500 price range. In looking at the user reviews I've notice that some people are have problems getting everything to work right when running all components thru the receiver using HDMI cables. Is this a common problem and should I be looking at running HDMI cables directly from the cable box and DVD player to the TV instead of going thru the receiver?

I know of at least 1 receiver that states in their user manual that an HDMI connection is required between the receiver and the tv to do advanced adjustments to the audio options. Another requires a component connect even if a HDMI connect is already there.

jjp735i
02-10-2012, 04:01 AM
Both of my Yamaha receivers work flawless with hdmi from all components hooked up HDMI, cable, blueray, direct tv, dvd recorder, projector. The receiver does all the switching. Only one HDMI cable running to TV.

One thing nice about the RA Yamaha is that it will allow audio and video pass through when in standby mode, which is nice when you don't need surround or all that sound. But only the higher models do that.

I think the RX-V471 also does, but you would need to check the spec. It can also be had for under $400.00.

I've had a Yamaha RX-v371 for few months now and it is working great and sounds really nice. It does not allow audio and video pass through.

My whole system is hooked up with HDMI except I use digital audio on the blue ray and direct tv, I think it has better sound that way. Still everything is run through the receivers.

Good luck on your search, that is have the fun in buying audio.

dadmaster
02-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Onkyo may fit your needs also. There are
several makers that offer similar avr's.
I'd avoid the sony line.

BadAssJazz
02-13-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm real new at this HT business so please work with me.

I'm shopping for a 5.1 HT receiver in the $400 - 500 price range. In looking at the user reviews I've notice that some people are have problems getting everything to work right when running all components thru the receiver using HDMI cables. Is this a common problem and should I be looking at running HDMI cables directly from the cable box and DVD player to the TV instead of going thru the receiver?

I know of at least 1 receiver that states in their user manual that an HDMI connection is required between the receiver and the tv to do advanced adjustments to the audio options. Another requires a component connect even if a HDMI connect is already there.

Before I bought my Marantz processor, I used a Pioneer Elite SC07 receiver. I had no problems at all running all of my components through the receiver using HDMI. That said, the SC07 had an msrp well above the pricepoints that you reference.These days, though, you can probably find a used one for 500 - 600.