Help with HDMI cables and their versions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with HDMI cables and their versions

Nasir
02-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Hello everybody,
I´ve been quite for a while now....
Can anybody help me out with HDMI cables?
Google has provided the basics, for a 3D TV a 1.4 version HDMI cable or the new frangled HIGH SPEED with or without ethernet cable is the minimum.
Pray, I ask you audio and video philes out there, what are your your experiences and which versions of HDMI cables are you folk using?
I have 1 HDMI cable that came with an upscalling DVD player, another cheap 5 USD cable that I picked up to use with the Digital Terrestial TV set top box and as the nut case that I am, I forked out 10USD for a decent 1.3 version cable that was on special at half price!!
My receiver is the Final Sound FVSS-201 with 1.3 Version HDMI input and output female connectors. The 1.3 versions do NOT support audio return signals in the sense that the sound from my Full LED Philips 40PFL9803 cannot come in to the receiver via HDMI but is instead coming in through 2 standard RCA mid priced cables. One of my questions is that were I to purchase a 1.4 version cable with audio return capabilities and connect it to the input of the receiver, will or should I hear anything?
As someone needs to borrow one my HDMI cables for an extended period, I was shopping around and came across 2 HDMI cables both version 1.4 and was tempted by their low prices of around 25USD. One of them is the THX MC700 Monster Cable and the other is the Vivanco Flat Cable HDHD/15W-14-N advertised as 3D and 4K capable !! This brings me to my second question:The Monster Cable should suffice as it is advertised at 8 bit colour depth and 1080p (both same as my TV panel ) but makes no mention of 3D capabilities or should I opt for the Vivanco ready for 3D with 4K resolution and thereby future proof my purchase?

Feanor
02-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Hello everybody,
I´ve been quite for a while now....
Can anybody help me out with HDMI cables?
Google has provided the basics, for a 3D TV a 1.4 version HDMI cable or the new frangled HIGH SPEED with or without ethernet cable is the minimum.
Pray, I ask you audio and video philes out there, what are your your experiences and which versions of HDMI cables are you folk using?
I have 1 HDMI cable that came with an upscalling DVD player, another cheap 5 USD cable that I picked up to use with the Digital Terrestial TV set top box and as the nut case that I am, I forked out 10USD for a decent 1.3 version cable that was on special at half price!!
My receiver is the Final Sound FVSS-201 with 1.3 Version HDMI input and output female connectors. The 1.3 versions do NOT support audio return signals in the sense that the sound from my Full LED Philips 40PFL9803 cannot come in to the receiver via HDMI but is instead coming in through 2 standard RCA mid priced cables. One of my questions is that were I to purchase a 1.4 version cable with audio return capabilities and connect it to the input of the receiver, will or should I hear anything?
As someone needs to borrow one my HDMI cables for an extended period, I was shopping around and came across 2 HDMI cables both version 1.4 and was tempted by their low prices of around 25USD. One of them is the THX MC700 Monster Cable and the other is the Vivanco Flat Cable HDHD/15W-14-N advertised as 3D and 4K capable !! This brings me to my second question:The Monster Cable should suffice as it is advertised at 8 bit colour depth and 1080p (both same as my TV panel ) but makes no mention of 3D capabilities or should I opt for the Vivanco ready for 3D with 4K resolution and thereby future proof my purchase?
From what I understand Ver. 1.3 and 1.4 use the same physical format; the newer specification changes what the cable is supposed to handle, not how it's made.

Don't buy new cables without first trying the old ones which might work perfectly well.

winston
02-06-2012, 10:29 AM
hello Nasir, check out this "Wiki" HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI) to see if you can get some answers to your question!

personally I used booth the ones that are labeled 1.3 & 1.4 to do regular stuff "with the exception of 3D TV" having said that, I'm sure there maybe some difference between them: (however I still cant tell which is which) by just looking at the pictures and listening to the sounds coming through these cables :)

I would suggest that check out HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more! (http://www.monoprice.com) at this store, that way you wouldn't have to worry about paying to much for HDMI cables, while your trying to see what works for you

good luck

Poultrygeist
02-06-2012, 01:31 PM
These are cheap, good quality and work fine with my Panasonic Plasma 3D.

Amazon.com: Aurum Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet (3 FT) - Supports 3D & Audio Return Channel - Full HD [Latest HDMI Version Available] - 3 Feet: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Aurum-Ultra-Ethernet-Supports-Available/dp/B005AY01RI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1328563375&sr=8-5)

BadAssJazz
02-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Get the 1.4 HDMI cable. They are backwards compatible. Besides, you'll probably eventually end up upgrading your receiver or other electronics some day. Some people do that and forget that they're still using the old 1.3 cable and scream bloody murder when the 3D over HDMI isn't working. (Hello, you need an HDMI 1.4 cable for that. Wake up!)

As for which tier to buy, brace yourself for the usual back and forth when it comes to cables in general, whether you're talking speaker, patch, HDMI, or whatever. Some argue that you can find the right cable for your needs without shelling out an arm or leg for it. Others will argue that if you want the best performance, you should expect to pay top dollar.

I can't say who is right, but I currently use Oppo Digital and Ixos cables (blu ray to receiver; Comcast DVR to HDTV) which are inexpensive, as well as a much, much, much more expensive Audioquest HDMI cable (receiver out to HDTV). No complaints on either front.

If you're not sure, buy a cheap cable, a mid-priced cable and a more expensive cable and see for yourself. (Return the cables that you don't need.) It's the only way to know for sure.