Newbie looking for advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for advice

shaothewise
01-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Hi all, new to site and already hooked.

My only speaker system is a Philips sound wave 2.1 system that I thought was better than ordinary tv speakers so not much experience. Anyhows, I just bought 2 Polk audio monitor 70 floor speakers and a Polk audio cs2 center speaker. I am leaning towards a denon avr-1912 receiver and not sure on a sub to buy. I saw on the back of the monitor 70 speakers there are 4 connections.

My questions are, and I know are noobish, will I have to run 2 wires for each monitor 70, and will the denon receiver power it properly. Is there a better receiver for that price range ($550) . As far as the sub goes , I saw the Polk audio psw10 for 99 bucks, should I get something more powerfull. These speakers are going in a room about 450 square feet and well insulated.

I also plan on adding 2rear speakers that are not floor standing, and running two speakers for my backyard patio all connected to the receiver.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Hyfi
01-30-2012, 03:59 AM
The double set of posts on the speakers are for the ability to bi-amp or bi-wire the speakers. As long as you leave the jumper in place, you only use one set of posts.

I would look at the Harman Kardon and Integra receivers too.

dadmaster
01-31-2012, 04:03 PM
I second the choice of receivers, don't care for HK too much though, Integras are same as onkyo, same company. saty away from sony receivers, tempting due to price, but not so good in best bang for buck.

shaothewise
02-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the input gents, I decided to go with the Denon AVR-1912 since my bro hooked me up at Best Buy, got it for $330. I'm a little worried I wont be able to configure it properly but I should have all day to figure it out. I also ordered the Polk Audio OMW3 speakers for my rears. Picking out a sub tomorrow, then I will connect it all. Hopefully I don't run into any problems. This will be my first real system, so a lil excited!

longislandcorey
02-13-2012, 05:35 AM
I'm thinking of getting an Onkyo TX NR 609. It has all the bells and whistles at a pretty decent price. I've read some threads elsewhere that the zone 2 only reads analog input and that confuses me.

markw
02-13-2012, 09:09 AM
I've read some threads elsewhere that the zone 2 only reads analog input and that confuses me.One advantage of multi-zone receivers is that one can send different sources to different zones. So, you can be listening to a 5.1 movie in zone 1 and perhaps a CD in zone 2.

If both sources are digital, they must each go through their own, separate DAC (Digital to Analog converters). But, AFAICT, receivers only contain one set of DACs, and they are dedicated to zone 1.

In my example above, the 5.1 goes through the receivers DAC. The CD, OTOH, if you choose to feed it to the receiver in a digital format, you're fine if you want to listen to it in zone 1. But, you're SOL if you want to send it to zone 2.

Now, if you use the red/white analog outputs from the CD player to analog inputs on the receiver, you're good to go for zone 2 use.

Mr Peabody
02-14-2012, 03:12 PM
shaothewise, seems you've made most of your decisions already but you didn't mention which sub, you definitely do not want the Polk sub you mentioned and you will need a large enough sub to keep up with your receiver. If budget permits I recommend SVS, I've heard the Rythmic are good at a decent price. If you have ahook up at BB at least get a 10" or 12" sub with a large amp.

Swish
02-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the input gents, I decided to go with the Denon AVR-1912 since my bro hooked me up at Best Buy, got it for $330. I'm a little worried I wont be able to configure it properly but I should have all day to figure it out. I also ordered the Polk Audio OMW3 speakers for my rears. Picking out a sub tomorrow, then I will connect it all. Hopefully I don't run into any problems. This will be my first real system, so a lil excited!

...and it's a Polk that's been discontinued but is still available. It's the PSW505 and it got excellent reviews and sold for $500 when first on the market. My brother-in-law bought one for under $200 and I'm betting you can find one in that price range. I've heard his system and that sub is doing a great job. As I recall, he found an incredible deal on Amazon before the holidays, but that's no longer available.

Here one for $229 with FREE SHIPPING, so that's a real bargain:
Newegg.com - Polk Audio PSW Series PSW505 12" Powered Subwoofer Each (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130)