Amazon pondering new streaming service [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Amazon pondering new streaming service

Smokey
01-26-2012, 02:56 PM
http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2012-01-25T233920Z_2_BTRE80O1S7A00_RTROPTP_2_NETFLIX.JPG

Amazon may be looking to cut into Netflix's action by launching a new video streaming service. Citing information from industry sources, The New York Post said the new service would expand beyond Amazon's current Instant Video by launching as a standalone, subscription-based business. Such a decision would put Amazon in head-to-head competition with Netflix

In a letter directed to shareholders yesterday, Netflix said that "we expect Amazon to continue to offer their video service as a free extra with Prime domestically, but also to brand their video subscription offering as a standalone service at a price less than ours."

Although Amazon has not announced the pricing for stand alone subscription.

Amazon has been paying fees to content providers based on the number of subscribers, currently reported at between 7 million and 8 million. Netflix has 20 million streaming subscribers globally.

Amazon stream may change course - NYPOST.com (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/full_stream_ahead_PpVcvzhXb7mhUO3sczFbuM)

Woochifer
01-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Amazon was supposed to have revamped their streaming service last fall. It never happened. Now, we see more rumors flying from the NY Post. Until I see an actual announcement and start up date, this doesn't even rise to the level of vaporware.

Amazon has had video-on-demand streaming available on their Amazon Prime service since last February. It's $7/month, and includes unlimited video streaming for less than Netflix's current rate. The main drawbacks are a convoluted interface, and more limited program choices. But, Amazon Prime also carries a lot of programs that Netflix does not have.

Smokey
01-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Amazon has had video-on-demand streaming available on their Amazon Prime service since last February. It's $7/month, and includes unlimited video streaming for less than Netflix's current rate. The main drawbacks are a convoluted interface, and more limited program choices. But, Amazon Prime also carries a lot of programs that Netflix does not have.

None of my friends have Amazon membership, so no virtual subscription :incazzato:

In the letter netflix send to its shareholders, they stated that Amazon stand alone subscription will be lower than Netflix. It will be interested to know how lower. If they can undercut Netflix price wise, Amazon might have a chance. Other wise it just be another streaming service among many.

Woochifer
01-29-2012, 05:57 PM
None of my friends have Amazon membership, so no virtual subscription :incazzato:

I guess if you actually subscribed to it, you wouldn't be talking about it! :cool:

In the letter netflix send to its shareholders, they stated that Amazon stand alone subscription will be lower than Netflix. It will be interested to know how lower. If they can undercut Netflix price wise, Amazon might have a chance. Other wise it just be another streaming service among many.

With Amazon Prime, they already have a video streaming subscription service that costs less than Netflix. That's why this article doesn't really say anything. I would be more interested in finding out whether Amazon has fixed the interface, and what new content they might have added to the service. Right now, it costs less because subscribers get less (although Amazon has a lot of content not found on Netflix).