Feeling Nostalgic [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Nostalgic

recoveryone
01-26-2012, 11:59 AM
I was on Amazon seaching older movies that I have on VHS to replace them with BR. I found a few for about $7: Crimson Tide, Enemy of the State and Airforce One. So I go and pull them out of the closet and started thinking about my VCR. I grabbed a tape and pop one in and watch a few min. As I sat there all I could think about how far we have come within the last 10-20 years, I was still buying VHS tapes in 2000. Then I had to power up my old cassette tape player and let it play as I sit hear and type this out. Now I know what I really miss about older gear compare to the new stuff. Being entertain by the meters, Those analog and digital meters of the sound being process, the tape direction arrows sliding across and if you had a EQ with a spectrum meter was better than HBO. I remember being able to have all the lights off in the room and just let your gear provide the needed glow.

I guess that why I have my new Transporter set to show the old style analog meters as the music play, I get the best of both old and new. Artist and track info along with the analog meter bouncing back n forth. anyone else get like this or is it just me, getting old :yikes:

Worf101
01-27-2012, 06:27 AM
I was on Amazon seaching older movies that I have on VHS to replace them with BR. I found a few for about $7: Crimson Tide, Enemy of the State and Airforce One. So I go and pull them out of the closet and started thinking about my VCR. I grabbed a tape and pop one in and watch a few min. As I sat there all I could think about how far we have come within the last 10-20 years, I was still buying VHS tapes in 2000. Then I had to power up my old cassette tape player and let it play as I sit hear and type this out. Now I know what I really miss about older gear compare to the new stuff. Being entertain by the meters, Those analog and digital meters of the sound being process, the tape direction arrows sliding across and if you had a EQ with a spectrum meter was better than HBO. I remember being able to have all the lights off in the room and just let your gear provide the needed glow.

I guess that why I have my new Transporter set to show the old style analog meters as the music play, I get the best of both old and new. Artist and track info along with the analog meter bouncing back n forth. anyone else get like this or is it just me, getting old :yikes:

Nostalgia the bane and blessing of old age, if you live long enough to indulge. Old gear has a quality and richness all its own. That's why folks collect classic cars, bikes and all manner of things. We all feel a little misty for the past at times. The trick is to NOT let that feeling creep into DA BLUES! When I gets melancholy out comes The Dells, Delfonics, Stylistics etc... then I'm stuck for hours thinking about mistakes made and loves lost.

Sigh....

Worf

texlle
01-27-2012, 09:15 AM
So true. ^^