New Guy....With a ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Guy....With a ?

Toofastgtp
04-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Hello, name is chris..

Ok my ? is, is i currently have a Sony STR-DE925

I am wanting to upgrade and here are the 2 choice i want either the DENON 1804 or the Sony STR-DE995.

I would mainly use this for HT use.

Here is what i want out of a reciver..Sound quality, ability to ajust parameters ( able to do this on my 925 ).

Now i want the sony because i like the looks of it and the bells and whistles and because that is all i have ever used and had i loved the sond of my 925..But i know there is something better out there.

Now what would be your choice between the two if you have any experance over them....thanks, chris

BTW these all my speakers are matched and are Studio Series JBL
Front = S312
Rear = S38
center = S Center
Sub = PB12

colinm
04-16-2004, 10:53 AM
I think you'll get "Denon" mentioned 100%.

I had a DE-915 back in the day. It lost the rear channels, I had it fixed and sold it for a Harman instead.

The difference was not subtle. I went from bells and whistles to no nonsense and loved it, because the sound was that much better. The Denon will be along those same lines, I imagine.

Good Luck -

Toofastgtp
04-16-2004, 10:58 AM
ok
what about
Onkyo 6.1-Channel Dolby® Digital EX/DTS®-ES Receiver
Brand/Model: ONK TXSR601

i jsut called some audio places in town and they said that this would stomp the sony in the ground even though the sony puts out more watts they said it is not true 110watts per channel, and the said that the onkyo will deilver the true 85 watts it says it will?

N. Abstentia
04-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Yep, Sony is not good. Given the choice between Denon and Onkyo I would go Onkyo but that's just my preference.

Avoid Sony whatever you do.

kexodusc
04-16-2004, 02:02 PM
You're comparing a very expensive "entry-level" receiver to some inexpensive "mid-level" receivers. Hence, I doubt you'll get a recommendation for the Sony over a Denon or Onkyo. Those are two great receivers. I believe you will notice a significant improvement if you chose on of those.

cam
04-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Hello, name is chris..

I am wanting to upgrade and here are the 2 choice i want either the DENON 1804 or the Sony STR-DE995.

Here is what i want out of a reciver..Sound quality, ability to ajust parameters ( able to do this on my 925 ).

Now i want the sony because i like the looks of it and the bells and whistles and because that is all i have ever used and had i loved the sond of my 925..But i know there is something better out there.

Now what would be your choice between the two if you have any experance over them....thanks, chris

Front = S312
Rear = S38
center = S Center
Sub = PB12
Sony always over rates their power output, one way that gives them away everytime is to look at their power consumption on the back panel. You will always see that their total rated power output in watts is always more then their power consumption in watts. What you want to see is power output at or lower then the power consumption. Atleast that way you know they are being more honest with their specs. The Denon uses amps instead of watts to rate their power consumptiom, the 1804 is 4.5 amps. Convert that 4.5 amps to watts I believe you multiply by 120 which will give the denon 540 watts of max power consumption. The 1804 is rated at 90 x 6 which just so happens to = 540 watts. A typical sony will have lets say 400 watts of power consumption yet it is rated to be 110 x 7. Bull. Alot of people won't like to hear this but yamaha does the same thing. You yammy owners out there, look at the power consumption compared to what they rate the total power output. Go with denon, onkyo, or marantz.

N. Abstentia
04-16-2004, 05:47 PM
Well, the power consuption in watts has nothing to do with the power output to the speakers. If that were the case, my computer would put out 550 watts of power!

cam
04-16-2004, 05:57 PM
Well, the power consuption in watts has nothing to do with the power output to the speakers. If that were the case, my computer would put out 550 watts of power!
All I'm saying is that when you see the power consumption higher then the power output that's a dead give away that they are full of crap. Lets say amp A has a power consumption of 450 watts and the power output is 110 x 6 and you have amp B with a power consumption of the same 450 watts yet it is rated at 70 x 6 which one would you believe.

paul_pci
04-16-2004, 06:43 PM
All I'm saying is that when you see the power consumption higher then the power output that's a dead give away that they are full of crap. Lets say amp A has a power consumption of 450 watts and the power output is 110 x 6 and you have amp B with a power consumption of the same 450 watts yet it is rated at 70 x 6 which one would you believe.

Yes, I've heard that about Yamahas. I myself am a Yamaha owner, admirer, and secret lover. So let's take a look at my specs. I own the RX-V3300 rated at 130watts/6 channels (of which I'm only using 5) and the power consumption is rated at 500watts/640VA, to which I have no clue what VA means, unless it stands for voltage amps.?? So what you are saying is that I'd never get 5 channels of 130 watts because, mathematically that supersedes the power consumption by about 150 watts. Yet, according to a recent thread on function of watts, many posters made it clear that speakers rarely consume the peak wattage and only briefly for particularly taxing musical/sound effects, etc. In that case, I'm only getting short changed on rare occasions. But then what about two channel listening. For the most part, I listen to CDs in two channels, so then according to your calculation, I should be able to get the full 130 watts, if needed, yes? Of course, let's not forget that all the while, the electric company is laughing all the way to the bank, and this poor chap is still scratching his head as to which receiver to buy.

cam
04-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Yes, I've heard that about Yamahas. I myself am a Yamaha owner, admirer, and secret lover. So let's take a look at my specs. I own the RX-V3300 rated at 130watts/6 channels (of which I'm only using 5) and the power consumption is rated at 500watts/640VA, to which I have no clue what VA means, unless it stands for voltage amps.?? So what you are saying is that I'd never get 5 channels of 130 watts because, mathematically that supersedes the power consumption by about 150 watts. Yet, according to a recent thread on function of watts, many posters made it clear that speakers rarely consume the peak wattage and only briefly for particularly taxing musical/sound effects, etc. In that case, I'm only getting short changed on rare occasions. But then what about two channel listening. For the most part, I listen to CDs in two channels, so then according to your calculation, I should be able to get the full 130 watts, if needed, yes? Of course, let's not forget that all the while, the electric company is laughing all the way to the bank, and this poor chap is still scratching his head as to which receiver to buy.
Two channel listening you will gain some power but the output devices can only {handle deliver} only so much. I will use my set up for example: denon 1804, power consumption 4.5 amps, power output 90 x 6. 2 channel I would estimate at about 110 x 2 because the output devices can only handle so much. One thing is for sure is that distortion goes way down with 2 channel over 5 or 6 or 7 channel.

mtrycraft
04-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Hello, name is chris..

Front = S312
Rear = S38
center = S Center
Sub = PB12

How do you know there is something wrong with the sound of your 925?
What is it that you dislake?
Unless you do a carefull, bias controlled comparison, you have no idea if there is a sound quality issue or which component is the culprit.
You may not have a problem at all.

Toofastgtp
04-16-2004, 07:33 PM
well the reason i am getting a new reciver is because every other time i turn on the 925.....no soudn comes out..i have to sit there turning the power on and off then it will kick in

cam
04-17-2004, 07:43 AM
I meant to say when the power output is way higher then the power consumption that's a good indication they are fudging their specs. Sony, JVC, Panasonic/Technics, Kenwood, and {gulp} Yamaha does it. That's why I say buy a Denon, Onkyo, or Marantz.

mtrycraft
04-17-2004, 08:12 PM
well the reason i am getting a new reciver is because every other time i turn on the 925.....no soudn comes out..i have to sit there turning the power on and off then it will kick in

Ah, so it is defective? Would it be worth servicing?

Toofastgtp
04-17-2004, 08:32 PM
Well guys....Thanks for the info....i got to listen to the recivers side by side.
with me i brought a music cd that had music I listen to and a movie with me Finding Nemo and daredevil with me to listen to the DTS and DD decodeing, And we used the same set of speakers and sub throught the test..

When i went in i listend to the onkyo and the denon...To me the onlyo had a better sound to it....Was about to make up my mind then i saw a Sony DA1000ES for 500 on an open box deal took a closer look at it It was still BRAND NEW every thing still sealed.....
Well they were nice enough hook it up so i can try it out ( could not have hurt )....wel swittching back and forth between the onkyo and the ES just had a better soudn that i like. I was in the stor for about 3 hours just watching couple scenes on on reciver then watching them again on the other...Well i took home the DA1000ES, Told me that i have a 30 day return so if i do not like it in my home setting i can bring it back get oney back or exchange it so either way i am not screws...

Well after about 2 hours messing with the settings...All i can say is this thing blows my old 925 out of the water on sound quality and seperation....only thing i reallly miss is on my 925 i could go in and mess with eq's ......

Think i am gonna keep my 925 and use it to power my outdoor speakers for when i am out side doing yard work or what ever.

http://members.cox.net/christopher-mcpeek/reciver.jpg