if you think your speakers are bright........... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : if you think your speakers are bright...........

zapr
11-25-2003, 08:16 PM
........if you have what you call bright speakers........the problem isn't the speaker or amp or preamp.........if you have above entry audio equipment it should sound smooth clean and powerful.........not harsh or grainy...........my system includes....rxv995 yamaha receiver....paradigm monitor 9v2......cc350.......titans for rears and ps1000 sub........i had this problem of brightness and what i learned was the power caused it...........impurities in the electricity will come through any quality audio systems.......certain frequences will carry static noise heard through the tweeters........the answer lies in cleaning up the power.........i added a monster power bar and wow! smooth clean and punchy............an earlier post mentioned using resistors to the tweeters which would cut these frequences.........an excellent idea but you might lose some top end.

3db
11-26-2003, 06:35 AM
since all power going into your electronics gets converted to DC and any noisy frequency components that would audably effect your sound would have been filtered out by the power supplies of your components.

Ihope you didn't spend a fortune on that power bar

markw
11-26-2003, 06:54 AM
Some prefer these to others. Some don't. Period...

hifimaster
11-26-2003, 08:22 AM
Overly bright systems can usually be attributed to insufficient acoustical treatment of the room. The room is just as (if not more) important than the speakers or electronics you choose. It is quite often overlooked. It is especially important in a home theater environment.

zapr
11-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Some prefer these to others. Some don't. Period...
.........i know there are bright speakers.........but what is bright? brightness usually refers ear fatigue........from what i've read on this forum.........if you prefer bright speakers than it's probably the music you prefer.......music other than rock........but you should be able to listen to anything........it should sound good......that's what we pay for.....as richard marsh puts it,unless you live behind the hoover dam,your ac power is polluted by anything sharing the same line as your audio equipment........your refrigerator,anything,including your neighbors.......the power bar i bought worked very well........anything that works is worth it.......anyone interested can check the reviews under (others). monster line conditioners work well and are reasonably priced.

markw
11-26-2003, 02:03 PM
you're the one that brought up the term "bright"... You're the one that claimed that a power box would cure them... If you claim that this power box cured the brihhtness in your system,well.. more power to you... pun intended...

but, I kinda doubt it... if your kit is so inferior that it fails to "clean up" the power to a sutiable degree whereby it is inaudiable, get better kit.

sometimes what we hear, or want to hear hinges on attitudes, beliefs and expectations... the mind is an incredible thing... perception of audio does not stop at the ear...

bturk667
11-26-2003, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=zapr]........if you have what you call bright speakers........the problem isn't the speaker or amp or preamp.........if you have above entry audio equipment it should sound smooth clean and powerful.........not harsh or grainy...........

What does bright have to do with harsh or grainy?

I consider a speaker that is bright to be one with excessive energy(loudness) in the treble.

What do you consider a bright ?

I have heard speakers that were not bright at all, by my definition, but they had a grainy and harsh treble region.

I'm sorry but Thiel's are a bright sounding speaker!

zapr
11-26-2003, 07:42 PM
you're the one that brought up the term "bright"... You're the one that claimed that a power box would cure them... If you claim that this power box cured the brihhtness in your system,well.. more power to you... pun intended...

but, I kinda doubt it... if your kit is so inferior that it fails to "clean up" the power to a sutiable degree whereby it is inaudiable, get better kit.

sometimes what we hear, or want to hear hinges on attitudes, beliefs and expectations... the mind is an incredible thing... perception of audio does not stop at the ear..........oh so sorry to upset you.......enjoy your system.

happy ears
11-26-2003, 10:52 PM
Although I do not use any power conditioning, the power the grid is suppling appears to be getting worse all the time. When I moved into my house power was a rock solid 118.1 volts with swings of +- 0.1 volts. Today one leg measures 117 while the other averages 122 volts and can get as high as 125 volts. Apparently the hydro company says I am responsible for all equipment that I damage because the problem is my house. I figure they should fix it because this problem of mine affects my friends house 15 miles away.

Also there are much more electronic equipment and computers today. Although peolpe tell me electronic equipment do not cause a problems, this is not the case. The CRTC in Canada has gone to people houses in Cold Lake Alberta, because certain DVD players where interferring with F-18 fighter aircrafts. I am sure that they where just looking for free DVD players and used this as an excuse.

maxg
11-28-2003, 12:16 AM
I was fooled too by the brightness description at first. Grain has nothing to do with brightness, harsh might have.

I'm also not at all sure about these electrical impurities - I am not sure I even understand what they are supposed to be.

I too employ a power "cleaner" but for a rather different reason. Here in Greece we run 230V AC " 60 Hz, or rather we are supposed to. Actually the power varies quite dramatically with the time of day, sometimes dipping to as low as 190V and sometimes rising as high as 260.

Sometimes when I get home at night and switch on the lights they are so dim it is hard to believe - other times they are like daylight. We go through a lot of bulbs in our house!!

This variation is something of a problem for any piece of electrical equipment. To cover the problem I have inserted surge protectors on just about everything (computer, TV, Microwave etc. etc.) so that whilst they may not operate perfectly at lower voltages they do not get burned by sudden peaks.

An additional item I added to my audio system is a box (from China I think) that cost a fairly reasonable $50. All it does it hold a steady ouput of 230V/60Hz for inputs dropping as low as 190. Below 190 it too, starts to give up the ghost but it is a rather gentle decay.

First off I have to say that it dos make a big difference, although that is largely due to the fact that my TT now turns at a constant 33 and a 1/3rd RPM (cheap TT AC motor uses the 60Hz mains frequency to set the speed). I run the pre-amp and ancilliary sources off this box too - although I have not played around to see if it brings benefit - it was just easier to do it that way.

I do not run my amps of the box and am unsure whether I should or not. If I do ever decide I want to I think I will need a bigger version of the box. It is rated at 550VA and I think the addition of the amps may go over the top of this.

zapr
11-28-2003, 02:14 PM
I was fooled too by the brightness description at first. Grain has nothing to do with brightness, harsh might have.

I'm also not at all sure about these electrical impurities - I am not sure I even understand what they are supposed to be.

I too employ a power "cleaner" but for a rather different reason. Here in Greece we run 230V AC " 60 Hz, or rather we are supposed to. Actually the power varies quite dramatically with the time of day, sometimes dipping to as low as 190V and sometimes rising as high as 260.

Sometimes when I get home at night and switch on the lights they are so dim it is hard to believe - other times they are like daylight. We go through a lot of bulbs in our house!!

This variation is something of a problem for any piece of electrical equipment. To cover the problem I have inserted surge protectors on just about everything (computer, TV, Microwave etc. etc.) so that whilst they may not operate perfectly at lower voltages they do not get burned by sudden peaks.

An additional item I added to my audio system is a box (from China I think) that cost a fairly reasonable $50. All it does it hold a steady ouput of 230V/60Hz for inputs dropping as low as 190. Below 190 it too, starts to give up the ghost but it is a rather gentle decay.

First off I have to say that it dos make a big difference, although that is largely due to the fact that my TT now turns at a constant 33 and a 1/3rd RPM (cheap TT AC motor uses the 60Hz mains frequency to set the speed). I run the pre-amp and ancilliary sources off this box too - although I have not played around to see if it brings benefit - it was just easier to do it that way.

I do not run my amps of the box and am unsure whether I should or not. If I do ever decide I want to I think I will need a bigger version of the box. It is rated at 550VA and I think the addition of the amps may go over the top of this.ok what a power conditioner will do is reduce rf and emi distortions on your ac power line.if you could look at ac power on a spectrum analyzer it would have a fuzzy jagged appearance.with line conditioning it would be a smooth straight line.this dramatically affects sound.