4K upscaling Blu-ray player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 4K upscaling Blu-ray player

Smokey
01-21-2012, 05:16 PM
With Blu-ray Disc players now in roughly ⅓ of all U.S. households, Sony up the ante with new bluray player that can upscale video content to 4K (4,000 pixels horizontal resolution)- 4 times the resolution of 1080p.

The new flagship Bluray player model BDP-S790 which will be available in April will also have Skype capability with optional camera. As of now, no pricing yet. So if you have a 4k resolution display, this is your calling :)

Here is more detail on this new BR player from Sony:

Sony Europe Launches 2012 Blu-ray Players « Hugh's News (http://www.hughsnews.ca/sony-europe-launches-2012-blu-ray-players-0030923)

lomarica
01-22-2012, 11:38 AM
and now "the industry" wants us to start all over again?

However bluray is soooo much better than dvd so I imagine 4K will do the same

Smokey
01-22-2012, 04:51 PM
and now "the industry" wants us to start all over again?

I imagine not untill more 4K content becomes more available. If one have 4k resolution display already, then everything is automatically upscaled to its native resolution. So having a BR player with 4K upscale capability might be redundant.

blackraven
01-22-2012, 11:46 PM
I have no desire to get that much resolution and see all the pimples and skin problems on actors as well as how cheesy some special effects and costumes are. In the Pirate movies the costumes on many of the actors looks fake with my Blu-Ray and Sony 52" XBR LCD TV. 4K will make it that much worse. Where 4K will help will be with the really big screen TV's like 65" and larger. You will be able to sit closer without the screen pixilating.

Smokey
01-23-2012, 04:50 PM
I have no desire to get that much resolution and see all the pimples and skin problems on actors as well as how cheesy some special effects and costumes are.

May be this make the movie studios do a better job in CGI and especial effects :)

As the 3D craze is subsiding, the next big push seem to be in 4k displays and blu-ray players. LG targeting a 84 inch 'ultra HD' set with screen resolution of 3840x2160 for late year release, and 4K bluray -players are expected in 2013. Also rumour has it that Sony is in talk with film studios to finalise specifications for 4K Blu-Rays.

New Blu-Ray discs offering four times hi-def due out in 2013 | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2084665/New-Blu-Ray-discs-offering-times-hi-def-2013.html)