Jolida JD9, Bottlehead Seduction or Hagerman Cornet2? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jolida JD9, Bottlehead Seduction or Hagerman Cornet2?

Poultrygeist
01-21-2012, 06:40 AM
The Joilda JD9 is the least expensive of these tube phono preamps and easily modded to a high level while the other two are highly regarded kits. Anyone have a recommendation or opinion?

squeegy200
01-25-2012, 10:19 AM
The Joilda JD9 is the least expensive of these tube phono preamps and easily modded to a high level while the other two are highly regarded kits. Anyone have a recommendation or opinion?

I only have experience with the Bottlehead so my comments are limited to that unit. I built a seduction a few years back.It works best with High Output MC or MM. If you use a Low Output MC cartridge, you will need a step up device. I found the Seduction somewhat "average" when A-B comparison against other Phono-Pres. A couple friends of mine had a Phone-Pre party and we would swap phono stages using the same sources, speakers and amplification. Then we'd sit and listen for hours. In that party, my Seduction was lackluster when compared to the others in the test. Take note however-- that my assembly/soldering skills could also be a factor in its mediocrity. The addage--"Your Mileage may vary" is true in this case. However, even Bottlehead in their own description described the Seduction as "Flat" and "Tubey"

I understand the new "Eros" is supposed to be a grade above the Seduction. However, be aware that its description too indicates that it is best suited for a high output MC or MM.

Judging from your price point comments, you are probably considering the Bottlehead Eros. Will you be building it yourself? Take into account, your time, along with the expense because the Jolida is already a Pre-built solution.

Poultrygeist
01-25-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm thinking I'll go with the Jolida JD9 as it's cheaper and more flexible due to it's variable gain and suitability for MC. Not sure if I want to buy from Jolida.net or Jolida.com. The former is the real Jolida ( China ) and the other is a rouge US distributor in Md. Jolida ( Md.) recently lost a lawsuit to Jolida ( China ) and I wonder how long they'll have access to parts to produce the JD9. Jolida.net explains this messy predicament.

With upgraded caps, opp amps and tubes the $350 JD9 is said to compete with $1500 phono stages. I hope to find out.

Poultrygeist
01-28-2012, 02:35 PM
I ordered the Jolida JD9 tube phono stage today from Shenda-Jolida in China and I should get it by 2/3. The mods are relatively simple to perform and take this puppy to a very high level. There are more threads on the JD9 on AK, AC and DIY than I've seen on any gear in awhile. I thought I would have to buy some tubes for the JD9 but scrounging through my audio stash I came across two Fisher Telefunken 12AX7's. Hot dang!

Poultrygeist
02-03-2012, 05:34 AM
Sounds darn good right out of the box and so far I prefer it to the CJ PV1 phono stage. I may be getting back into vinyl after many years. The setting combinations are vast and I'm still trying for the best sound for my cart.

JOLIDA JD9 Shenda vs Maryland + Review - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=345469)

LeRoy
02-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Congrats on the JD9 pick up. Did you keep all of your old LP's or are you going to start a new collection?

Poultrygeist
02-03-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm sitting here listening to the LP, "Still Crazy After All These Years" which I bought when it came out. So yes I have lots of old 70's-early 80's LP's which haven't been played much as I transferred everything to tape then. Trouble is my tastes have changed and while I have all the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Poco, Dylan, Doobies, RS, J.Brown, Joplin, Clapton, CSN&Y, JT, EJ, Allmans, L&M etc, etc.one could want, I have no jazz other than maybe some Steely Dan. So I'll be spending time at the used record shops. We've got a good store here in Columbia named "Poppa Jazz".

I declare the JD9 is getting better and better. It's got all the gain anyone could ever want and will drive the toughest MC. It's amazingly quiet, accurate and not warm sounding with it's stock Chinese tubes but I'm in no hurry to try the Telefunkens. I haven't opened it up yet as I can't stop listening to it long enough. I'm using it's low level outputs with a Shure M97xE cart on a SL-1300 TT. Using the high level outputs takes the volume through the roof.

I don't have any speakers in the oven at the moment so it's great fun playing with this new toy.

Enochrome
02-06-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm thinking I'll go with the Jolida JD9 as it's cheaper and more flexible due to it's variable gain and suitability for MC. Not sure if I want to buy from Jolida.net or Jolida.com. The former is the real Jolida ( China ) and the other is a rouge US distributor in Md. Jolida ( Md.) recently lost a lawsuit to Jolida ( China ) and I wonder how long they'll have access to parts to produce the JD9. Jolida.net explains this messy predicament.

With upgraded caps, opp amps and tubes the $350 JD9 is said to compete with $1500 phono stages. I hope to find out.

This makes me want to get one, this and the 6 Moons review that found it to be a stellar sleeper piece. My stage has only 57db gain for MC that is bordering on too low. The Jolida has 66db, if that aint enough I don't know what is.

I am pleased, Poultry, that you do not find it overly warm, because that would have given me doubts.

Nice score and let the vinyl spin!

Poultrygeist
02-06-2012, 05:37 PM
It's really quite good and great to have another good source option. Come to think of it I haven't listened to a CD in several days. Simon And Garfunkel's concert in Central Park tonight was electric!

I just ordered three bottles of D4 from Amazon. They evidently don't make D3 anymore.

frenchmon
02-15-2012, 07:06 AM
So how you enjoying the Vinyl now Poultrygeist?

Poultrygeist
02-17-2012, 04:02 PM
It's so visceral compared to digital. Just as enjoyable but in a different way and I will be posting pics of the JD9's guts.

My new Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus LP is da sheetz!

frenchmon
02-18-2012, 09:39 AM
It's so visceral compared to digital. Just as enjoyable but in a different way and I will be posting pics of the JD9's guts.

My new Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus LP is da sheetz!

The thing with vinyl...is if you get the right synergy....its outstanding.