Another Change/Van Alstine [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another Change/Van Alstine

Mr Peabody
01-17-2012, 10:13 AM
What is it that causes that itch? I suspect this time it was a combination of adding the F52's and hearing recently a lot of good gear The gear, Levinson, Boulder and Sim's Evolution, sort of got me interested in whether I could achieve more transparency. The F52's sound very good with the CJ gear but I began to wonder if I needed more power and current to control the bass and give a bit more impact or weight in that area.

I was hoping to try some things locally just to experiment, so far my CJ, in myopinion, beat a Theta Intrepid and my Bryston 3Bst. No other auditions came to pass which led me to the internet. I narrowed it down to either the Channel Island D200mkII monoblocks or trying a Audio by Van Alstine 600r FET Valve amp. I learned the FET Valve amps are about to go a price increase with new faceplates and I saw AVA had a 400r he just received back, so I jumped on it.

Alright, what you are waiting on, from first listen I was impressed. It's a bit difficult to put the 400r sound into words, it just has a correctness and musicality to it I found involving and making me want to listen more. The amp allows loads of detail to come through with a certain coherency. I didn't think I'd ever hear an amp that grooved like the CJ but the 400r certainly does but better. Better in areas of transient, control, detail, and transparency. I liked the sound of the 400r so much I am going to try the FET Valve preamp to see if I get more synergy and characters mentioned above. The 400r isn't like one of those amps you can say it excels in bass or one area or another, the 400r is balanced, musical and to me does everything right without calling attention to any one area of the response. Brass shines through naturally exposing the growl horns should have, on Classical music fine instruments in the background like triangles are easily heard, even guitar cuts through like it should yet some how doing it in a fashion not to offend the ear but not seem too warm or dull. The 400r & 600r are hybrid amps, I feel truly blending the best of both tubes and solid state while really sounding like neither. If ever in the market for an amp you would do yourself an injustice by not auditioning the FET Valve amps. A combo is being built right now to go to TAS for a review.

I wrote impressions on Frank's AVA forum and in doing so I commented on some earlier reviews. There was a bit of debate on the high frequency response, I found the 400r extremely smooth in that area, not rolled off but on the other hand maybe not as forward as some may like. I will try to come back after I hear the FET preamp, I think it will be interesting to see how much influence the CJ preamp still has on my system and how the two will compare. I mentioned also on certain recordings a bit of bass congestion in the very low frequencies, such as on Ozric Tentacles but on other recordings as Paula Cole the bass was deep and controlled. So is what I heard always been there just not revealed? Maybe we shall see with a different preamp. The bass was also very good on the Reference recording Pipe & Organ,.

frenchmon
01-17-2012, 10:30 AM
I guess Blackraven was spot on then! If it best the C-J gear it must be one hell of a deal, while saving much coin. I can't wait to get over to take a listen to see what you and Blackraven are hoopin and hollering about! Sounds like the amp is a keeper...I guess when you change that signature I will be a beliver. Until then, I am still believing the reports that AVA sounds much like a Yammie AVR.

devuonoste
01-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Congrats on the new amp Mr. P. Glad you're enjoying your system so much.

I'd like to try a Van Alstine amp one of these days, as I have read a lot of good things about them. Also, Jim Salk uses Van Alstine gear for his Salk speakers and that says a lot about the quality of the gear.

Take Care Mr. P. and fenchmon

manlystanley
01-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Congrats Mr. P. !

Hyfi
01-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Glad you made the right choice. New toys are always a load of fun.

LeRoy
01-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Congrats on the latest edition. Nothing like finding some system synergy to take the whole music presentation to a really enjoyable listening experience. Enjoy!

blackraven
01-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Mr P, you will find the HF's to be more forward with the AVA preamp. Bass will be tighter as well. The 6CG7 electro-harmonix tubes produce deep tight bass, very detailed treble with great air and transparency. I can't use the EH's with my magnepans because there is too much HF energy for the Magnepan tweeters and my Parasound Amp.

And Frenchmon, who ever said that the AVA amps sound like a yammy AVR needs to get their ears checked. I have yet to hear an AVA amp with out warmth and musicality. I will say this that AVA gear has synergy with other AVA components though and it will show you the limitations of the weakest link in your system.

frenchmon
01-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Mr P, you will find the HF's to be more forward with the AVA preamp. Bass will be tighter as well. The 6CG7 electro-harmonix tubes produce deep tight bass, very detailed treble with great air and transparency. I can't use the EH's with my magnepans because there is too much HF energy for the Magnepan tweeters and my Parasound Amp.

And Frenchmon, who ever said that the AVA amps sound like a yammy AVR needs to get their ears checked. I have yet to hear an AVA amp with out warmth and musicality. I will say this that AVA gear has synergy with other AVA components though and it will show you the limitations of the weakest link in your system.

Hi Raven....no one said that. I made it up. I was just having a little fun with Peabody after his comment that the new Revel line was voiced to sound like Dynaudio's....so I just shot one back at him...im sure AVA is all what you and Peabodys been saying....I just cant wait to get to his music room and sit in his chair and take a listen.

Mr Peabody
01-18-2012, 03:01 PM
You got me Frenchmon, you devil, here I thought you got up on the wrong side of the bed due to the storm warnings :)

frenchmon
01-19-2012, 07:50 AM
You got me Frenchmon, you devil, here I thought you got up on the wrong side of the bed due to the storm warnings :)

Hahahahah! :devil: LOL!!!:lol:

Better get that CJ gear out of your signiture!....:smilewinkgrin:

blackraven
01-19-2012, 01:22 PM
I just got off the phone with Frank Van Alstine and on Saturday I will picking up his new FET Valve Preamp, FET Valve DAC and 400R amp to review. I am looking forward to the review. I will be posting it on the audiocircle forum.

Ajani
01-19-2012, 01:26 PM
I just got off the phone with Frank Van Alstine and on Saturday I will picking up his new FET Valve Preamp, FET Valve DAC and 400R amp to review. I am looking forward to the review. I will be posting it on the audiocircle forum.

Just a Review? Or is that just the cover story you tell your wife to sneak new HiFi purchases into the house??? :biggrin5:

blackraven
01-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Just a Review? Or is that just the cover story you tell your wife to sneak new HiFi purchases into the house??? :biggrin5:

She already knows that I want the 600R after doing a review of the amp. I would love to have one of the new amps and the FET Valve DAC. I am very happy with my current Ultra Preamp.

LeRoy
01-19-2012, 08:35 PM

I will be looking forward to your impressions of each with a keen interest on the DAC.

Mr Peabody
01-20-2012, 06:22 AM
I originally wanted a 600r, it will be intersting to see if you notice any difference between it and the 400r. Maybe you can address that in the review.

blackraven
01-21-2012, 11:43 PM
I picked up the new AVA gear today and I am blown away. Mr. P, the new FET Valve Preamp has great synergy with the 400R. It's a keeper. I have mixed feelings about the DAC when comparing it to my AVA Ultra II DAC but it has synergy with the Preamp and Amp. I will complete review on Monday or Tuesday. Right now I'm just enjoying the music and I am sad because I can't keep the gear.