Mr. P's new amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mr. P's new amp

blackraven
01-17-2012, 09:33 AM
I am letting the cat out of the bag. Mr. P has bought a new Van Alstine 400R amp and really likes it. He also just ordered the new Van Alstine FET Valve Preamp because he thinks it will have more synergy with the AVA amp than his CJ preamp. I have been emailing back and forth with Mr. P. He is still having trouble posting on AR. Here is a link to his review on the new amp on the Audio Circle forum, scroll down to the bottom of the page. His review echo's my reivew that I posted there earlier (for the most part).

User reviews of our new Fet Valve 600R & 400R amplifiers (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100776.80)

frenchmon
01-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Well I finally got a chance to listen to Peabodys new 400R amp today. And I now know what all the fussing that Blackraven has been doing over the years is about. And I might just start doing some fussing about it my self. The thing is the real deal in my book. All Peabody did is remove the Conrad Johnson mono blocks from his system and put in the AVA 400R amp and change out a few cables and to my ears the AVA sounded much better. And when I say much better I mean it. The Conrad is very warm...Im talking thick warm. Enter the AVA and the thick warm tube sound is gone and a lively tube sound with a very rich luxurious mid range, deep bottom and a very nice top end is what you hear. Very transparent and natural sounding. We played all types of music and the AVA seems to add nothing to the music but a great harmonic tube distortion that you really don't notice unless you listen for it because you know the difference in the tube/solid state sound. So once again the AVA is the real deal....if its in your price range it has to be on your short list.

The only thing I can say that the Conrad Johnson did better than the AVA 400R was to give a darker back ground which makes the music seem to have a better front to back depth. But other than that...the AVA was better in all of areas of the presentation. Now dont get me wrong....the AVA has a dark background...only that the C-J is darker.

Anybody in the market for some Conrad Johnson mono blocks? If so, look online at Audiogon.

Where are all these people who say that Power amps don't have a sound?

LeRoy
01-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Well I finally got a chance to listen to Peabodys new 400R amp today. And I now know what all the fussing that Blackraven has been doing over the years is about. And I might just start doing some fussing about it my self. The thing is the real deal in my book. All Peabody did is remove the Conrad Johnson mono blocks from his system and put in the AVA 400R amp and change out a few cables and to my ears the AVA sounded much better. And when I say much better I mean it. The Conrad is very warm...Im talking thick warm. Enter the AVA and the thick warm tube sound is gone and a lively tube sound with a very rich luxurious mid range, deep bottom and a very nice top end is what you hear. Very transparent and natural sounding. We played all types of music and the AVA seems to add nothing to the music but a great harmonic tube distortion that you really don't notice unless you listen for it because you know the difference in the tube/solid state sound. So once again the AVA is the real deal....if its in your price range it has to be on your short list.

The only thing I can say that the Conrad Johnson did better than the AVA 400R was to give a darker back ground which makes the music seem to have a better front to back depth. But other than that...the AVA was better in all of areas of the presentation. Now dont get me wrong....the AVA has a dark background...only that the C-J is darker.

Anybody in the market for some Conrad Johnson mono blocks? If so, look online at Audiogon.

Where are all these people who say that Power amps don't have a sound?

Frenchmon, is Mr. P utilizing a power conditioner?

frenchmon
01-29-2012, 04:21 AM
I think he has some power conditioner from PS Audio.

harley .guy07
01-29-2012, 03:51 PM
He has the same one that I have. The PS audio Quintet

frenchmon
01-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Harley! Where you been? Peabody and I where wondering if you where ok?