Polk audio for stereo setup..... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Polk audio for stereo setup.....

Youngee
04-16-2004, 08:46 AM
Hey, I just had a quick question for you guys... I am setting up a system for stereo sound only... I am going to be using a 2 channel high current Harman Kardon reciever (3480) with the HK CD Player. I am looking for accurate reproduction for music. I listen to everything from jazz to classic rock/prog rock right up to heavy metal. I am trying to decide between the Lsi 7/9s (the bookshelfs) or the Rti 8/10's (the towers). I am going to be running them with the Polk 404 sub and I was just wondering which would be the better choice... the towers or the bookshelfs.
I know you're gonna say listen to them for yourself, but there is no dealer around here... I am able to get a good price on Polk stuff and I am just wondering which is gonna provide me with the most accurate/best sound...

Thanks in advance....

poneal
04-16-2004, 09:53 AM
I would lean toward bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer.

brigrizzme
04-16-2004, 10:25 AM
Why not used POLK RT-7's? The best of both worlds.

NickWH
04-16-2004, 10:42 AM
The LSI series hands down is the way to go if you want Polk (for rock/metal, the 9's should be quite capable even without the sub). However, I'm not sure about the H/K combo. H/K CD and DVD players have noisey, unreliable transports and are prone to failure. The H/K receivers are not too bad, but if you want to get the most out of your speakers you are far better off with an integrated amp (especially with 4 ohm speakers).

A NAD, Rotel, or Cambridge Audio Integrated/CDP combo will put you on a better path to "the accurate reproduction of music," in my humble opinion.

Youngee
04-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the info guys... This board is great, people actually respond to newbie posts! Haha

I'll look into those amps but I am getting a good deal on the HK so I'll probably end up going with that... I might pass on the HK CD Player though.. I have heard some horror stories about them..

N. Abstentia
04-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Any reason why Polk is the only speaker option you have?

Youngee
04-16-2004, 02:19 PM
Ya, actually I work in retail and I can get a pretty good deal on them...

I can also get infinity, but I prefer Polk..

cam
04-16-2004, 06:27 PM
I would lean toward bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer.
Yes there might be some speaker box deficiances with floorstanders, but lets say you are buying a floorstander that is built solid. In this case all floorstanders will be more efficient and for that reason I would not Buy a standmount. I will give you my example: I had a choice of paradigm mini monitors or monitor 7's. Mini's I needed to buy stands and they are 90db efficient, monitor 7's are 93 db efficient, built solid, and no added cost of stands. That 3db difference would be equal to doubling the amps power. Since I was not buying BIG power I decided to buy the floorstanders. Believe it or not but I got better WAF with floorstanders then stand mounts. Stand mounts will be fine as well.