SACD vrs Bluray I got the winner [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SACD vrs Bluray I got the winner

lomarica
01-14-2012, 09:26 AM
I have a SACD and Bluray of Beethoven 9th. The surround SACD is from the Minnesota Orchestra BIS label and sounds wonderful. It had great reviews for sound and performance.

Until that is I played the Wiener Philharmoniker conducted by Christian Thelemann the label is CMajor on bluray DTS Master Audio. See the review on blu-ray.com.

Wow what a difference. The SACD just seemed dead and flat to the bluray. Perhaps the biggest difference was bass. I never realized how much bass comes out of an orchestra. And this is a very detailed bass played at low levels with say just 4-5 instruments playing. BTW the picture was as Alex my boy from Clockwork Orange would say gorgosity and pure bliss.

I also turned the TV off so I was not sucked into the picture maybe making the sound seem better. My wife could even notice the difference when she was in our kitchen.

I have been a fan of SCAD but I think bluray will be taking over this niche market.
Any comments appreciated.

Tarheel_
01-14-2012, 09:49 AM
I hope your right as SACD are expensive to purchase...even if you can find the one you want.

The only audio/concert type blu-ray i own is Chris Boddi in Boston and it is nothing less than fantastic.

I allowed a co-worker to borrow it and now he doesn't want to return it...lol

Plus, your wife will enjoy him on stage in HD, mine and his did.

if you enjoy Jazz, you can thank me later...it's that good.
http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Botti-Boston-Blu-ray/dp/B001R60ESE

Feanor
01-14-2012, 10:40 AM
I have a SACD and Bluray of Beethoven 9th. The surround SACD is from the Minnesota Orchestra BIS label and sounds wonderful. It had great reviews for sound and performance.

Until that is I played the Wiener Philharmoniker conducted by Christian Thelemann the label is CMajor on bluray DTS Master Audio. See the review on blu-ray.com.

Wow what a difference. The SACD just seemed dead and flat to the bluray. Perhaps the biggest difference was bass. I never realized how much bass comes out of an orchestra. And this is a very detailed bass played at low levels with say just 4-5 instruments playing. BTW the picture was as Alex my boy from Clockwork Orange would say gorgosity and pure bliss.

I also turned the TV off so I was not sucked into the picture maybe making the sound seem better. My wife could even notice the difference when she was in our kitchen.

I have been a fan of SCAD but I think bluray will be taking over this niche market.
Any comments appreciated.
Well your results aren't conclusive because you're comparing different performances from different labels and almost certainly different producers and recording engineers.

I like both SACD and Blu-ray -- and I like multi-channel in both cases. (I have no pure music Blu-rays, only performance discs.) For SACD, it's advantageous, IMO, to be able to use your receiver's EQ and time delay which, in most cases, means that your player must be able to pass the SACD signals as hi-rez PCM to the receiver.

Where Classical music is concerned, SACD has a head start and I think it will be a while before the selection catches up for Blu-ray. If Blu-ray takes over at some point, fine with me.

Poultrygeist
01-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Sound-in-the-round is fun for a change of pace but for the long haul I'll stick with two channel SACD.