Strange PS3 / HDMI problem. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Strange PS3 / HDMI problem.

Swish
01-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Over the holidays, our son got the brilliant idea of bringing out PS3 down to my HT room so he could play some game on our 120" screen.

To set the stage properly, I have a Rotel RSP1098 processor and paid for the HDMI upgrade (1.1 version with video only) that includes four inputs. I use #1 for my HD cable box, #2 for my Oppo, and plugged the PS3 into #3.

Once we powered up the PS3, we got a blinking screen. You could see the PS3 menu, but it would blink for a second and disappear, then reappear, and so on. We ended up disconnecting the HDMI output of the Rotel from the wall-plate and plugged the PS3 into it directly.

That solved the problem, but why did it happen in the first place? Everything else works fine through my Rotel. We even tried switching the HDMI inputs but the problem persisted.

Enochrome
01-13-2012, 02:30 PM
It's a switching problem that PS3's have with receivers and integrateds. I had the same problem with my PS3 and my old Pioneer receiver. I found the problem to be two things for me because it was also the Kuro link that my receiver had for Pioneer TV's. From what I remember you have to have all the components on and then turn on the receiver; it is annoying for sure.

Swish
01-14-2012, 07:01 AM
It's a switching problem that PS3's have with receivers and integrateds. I had the same problem with my PS3 and my old Pioneer receiver. I found the problem to be two things for me because it was also the Kuro link that my receiver had for Pioneer TV's. From what I remember you have to have all the components on and then turn on the receiver; it is annoying for sure.

I'll give it a try and see what happens, but I'm sure we didn't attempt this before. I'll let you know if it works.