One Shot. If you like Brand X... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : One Shot. If you like Brand X...

Finch Platte
01-10-2012, 09:55 AM
One Shot was created in 1999 by keyboarder Emmanuel Borghi and guitarist James McGaw, both Ex-Magma musicians. The original duo was completed by bassist Philippe Bussonnet and drummer Daniel Jeand'heur for their first self-titled record, released in 1999. Originally only a demo tape, the record presents classic jazz-rock with strong influences by the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Their second record "Vendredi 13" was recorded live on April 13, 2001 in the "Cave A Musique" in Mācon (France) and contains long instrumental compositions closer to Magma with a touch of King Crimson. In an interview the band members described their music as 'rock-jazz-progressive' with a special accent on the rock sound. In 2006 the band released their third record "Ewaz Vader" comprised of four long compositions with a harder edge, occasionally approaching metal.

I picked up their two discs yesterday for a combined total of $1, and yes, they remind me of Brand X, but not quite as varied as BX was. The tunes get to be kind of samey after a while, but it may still interest a couple of you.

If this sounds like something you'd like to hear, let me know and I'll UL it.

3LB
01-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Sure, hit me!

I have three BX albums (Unorthodox Behavior, Moroccan Roll and Product). Of the three, I rarely ever listen to Moroccan Roll. I've read where fans don't like Product, but I think it's nearly as good as the debut.

Finch Platte
01-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Sure, hit me!

I have three BX albums (Unorthodox Behavior, Moroccan Roll and Product). Of the three, I rarely ever listen to Moroccan Roll. I've read where fans don't like Product, but I think it's nearly as good as the debut.

You really need to check out Masques. Most consider this Brand X's finest hour. If you can't find a good recording of it, lemme know.

If you go to Progressive Ears and search for FEATURED CD- Brand X- Masques, there's a little thread on it. Couple of songs you can listen to, too, in the thread.

And here's Vendredi 13 (http://ge.tt/8aTv7CC?c), One Shot's live disc from 2001. :13: