Have I got a deal for you! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Have I got a deal for you!

RoyY51
01-08-2012, 04:48 PM
My neighbor recently relocated to N. Carolina, and left behind his entire record collection for me to do with as I see fit. Some of the artists are, on the jazz side; Nat King Cole, Dave Brubeck, Louis Armstrong, Anita Baker, Si Zentner, Tony Bennett, Cal Tjader, Ramsey Lewis and lots more. There's also some Mario Lanza and Judy Garland, as well as Duran Duran and Tears for Fears. All in all, there are over 100 albums, most in good condition. The albums have been sitting on my patio for a few months, and a few of them (at the ends of the boxes) have already started to warp. I would like to find a good home for them before any further damage is done.

Rather than try to parcel them out on ebay or dump them at Goodwill, I would prefer to donate them to someone who will truly appreciate them.

Here's the deal: anyone living in the LA/OC area of Southern California who would like to take the ENTIRE collection off my hands is welcome to them. I live in the City of Orange, about a mile from Angel Stadium.

If you're interested, please email me at RoyY51@hotmail.com. The first person to do so gets the brass ring.

RoyY51
01-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Let me sweeten the pot...

Level 42
Howard Jones
Earth, Wind and Fire
Jimmy Dorsey
The Stylistics
Harry Belafonte
Micheal Franks
Squeeze
Wham!
The Spinners
Lionel Hampton
Rusty Warren
Little River Band
Billy Paul

...and this is where my writing hand started cramping up...

Remember: first response gets everything.

Luvin Da Blues
01-10-2012, 04:38 AM
Let me sweeten the pot...

Level 42
Howard Jones
Earth, Wind and Fire
Jimmy Dorsey
The Stylistics
Harry Belafonte
Micheal Franks
Squeeze
Wham!
The Spinners
Lionel Hampton
Rusty Warren
Little River Band
Billy Paul

...and this is where my writing hand started cramping up...

Remember: first response gets everything.

Hey Roy, Looks like you/re gunna have to take out your own trash. I'm sitting on over 100 of the same types of music I can't give away either.

Good luck

Feanor
01-10-2012, 06:10 AM
Seems nobody really wants vinyl. I've offered my 150-200 LPs, mostly in great condition, for a flat $2 a piece. Nobody wants them -- or at least, nobody is willing to pay the shipping for them. LPs weight about 1/2 lb. each.

RGA
01-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Seems nobody really wants vinyl. I've offered my 150-200 LPs, mostly in great condition, for a flat $2 a piece. Nobody wants them -- or at least, nobody is willing to pay the shipping for them. LPs weight about 1/2 lb. each.

Why would someone pay $2 a piece plus shipping when they can go to their local recycling center, like me, and get as many as I can stuff into a bag for $2. Or go to one of two local shops to pay anywhere from $1 to $50 (depending on what it is) and the guy has cleaned the vinyl for me. Vinyl is all over the damn place no need to have it shipped at high expense.

The same recycling center has CD's - seems no one wants those either. Best Buy and Future Shop went from selling 5-10,000 CDs in their store to one shelf - no classical, about 100 Jazz titles 20 of which are Diana Krall.

Hell they can't give it away for .99 on the iTunes - hell people don't even bother to take music when it's FREE. Anyone can get classical music at high bitrates - type in Mozart and it's a ghost town - people can't even be bothered to steal it off the net.

The music industry has been in serious decline for a long time.

From Audio Federation Blog » Blog Archive » Death of the Music Publishing Industry - High-end Audio Blog (http://audiofederation.com/blog/archives/919)

"The music industry is down 64% from its peak.

The music industry is actually down 45% from where it was in 1973.

The CD peak was only 13% better than the vinyl peak.

10 years ago the average American spent almost 3 times as much on recorded music products as they do today.

26 years ago they spent almost twice as much as they do today.

Kind of a ‘This Was Your Life’ chart, isn’t it? Memories…

Whoa. 10 years ago CD sales jumped off a cliff."

Feanor
01-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Why would someone pay $2 a piece plus shipping when they can go to their local recycling center, like me, and get as many as I can stuff into a bag for $2. Or go to one of two local shops to pay anywhere from $1 to $50 (depending on what it is) and the guy has cleaned the vinyl for me. Vinyl is all over the damn place no need to have it shipped at high expense.
Guess you're right ... it's the trash, then. :yesnod:

Kind of a ‘This Was Your Life’ chart, isn’t it? Memories…

Whoa. 10 years ago CD sales jumped off a cliff."

http://forums.audioreview.com/attachments/general-audio/8582d1326209541-have-i-got-deal-you-001_b_music_rev_per_capita.png
Yeah great chart. Note when vinyl dipped to near enough zero; (do I see a faint blue trace along the bottom). I note that the shapest plunge actually occured before the advent of CD.

RGA
01-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Yes the plunge occured right around the time the music changed to 80s pop (70s disco didn't help). But sales dropped not because of the format (since vinyl and cassette were dropping before CD took off as is easily seen on the graph but because people stopped bothering with music.

And the CD boom was largely due to people buying the same music they already owned on the other formats for the nicer convenience factor.

Bring your vinyl to a recycling center. Or if you have a used CD/vinyl shop in your town they might give you $30 for a milk crate full of them. Classical is pretty much worthless unless you have something rare, Jazz you should check online sites to see what some are going for - some prized stuff especially 45, 80s rock/pop is pretty much worthless simply too much of it - CD's in Nanaimo sell for $1 each for this kind of music. Classical and stuff like Michael Bolton is 5 for a buck.

You might get more for music like Joan Baez or Joni Mitchel depending on the condition some seem to go for $30-$40. It's worth a look because it only takes one album in your collection to make the time looking worth it.

For instance if you have Hendrix there are some going for over $3000 the CD is worth $1. Sound quality aside - people buy this stuff for their rarity factor.

This site should help you and the OP - would not rush to the garbage can just yet - a couple of $3000 records can get you that Maggie 3.7 upgrade

Incidentally there are Mozart and Beethoven on vinyl going for $5,000 USD and over $4,000GBP

popsike.com - vinyl records lp price guide - record collector (http://www.popsike.com/)

Feanor
01-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Bring your vinyl to a recycling center. Or if you have a used CD/vinyl shop in your town they might give you $30 for a milk crate full of them. Classical is pretty much worthless unless you have something rare, Jazz you should check online sites to see what some are going for - some prized stuff especially 45, 80s rock/pop is pretty much worthless simply too much of it - CD's in Nanaimo sell for $1 each for this kind of music. Classical and stuff like Michael Bolton is 5 for a buck.

You might get more for music like Joan Baez or Joni Mitchel depending on the condition some seem to go for $30-$40. It's worth a look because it only takes one album in your collection to make the time looking worth it.

For instance if you have Hendrix there are some going for over $3000 the CD is worth $1. Sound quality aside - people buy this stuff for their rarity factor.

This site should help you and the OP - would not rush to the garbage can just yet - a couple of $3000 records can get you that Maggie 3.7 upgrade

Incidentally there are Mozart and Beethoven on vinyl going for $5,000 USD and over $4,000GBP

popsike.com - vinyl records lp price guide - record collector (http://www.popsike.com/)
Cool site.

Slightly more than half my stuff is classical and most not rare nor particularly desirable. An exception might be my Kleiber's Beethoven 5th Symphony is original issue, in excellent but not mint condition, and might be worth as much as $50. Like any other sort of collectors' stuff, mint or sealed brings top buck but I don't have any of those.

manlystanley
01-17-2012, 06:00 AM
.....SNIP.... Vinyl is all over the damn place no need to have it shipped at high expense.

....SNIP.......

10 years ago the average American spent almost 3 times as much on recorded music products as they do today.

"

Great graph, I didn't know that the music industry was in such a decline. I agree with your point about vinyl. I bought 1000+ old records for $120. Lots of 1930's jazz, Lots of 78's, etc. I sold squat. So, I just kept about 50 albums that I thought was really neat and gave the rest to the Salvation Army. I got lots of great tax write-offs.

Several of the 78's that I think are pretty neat, but probably worthless, are things like: Tchaikovsky continuing his own works, etc. I'm thinking about marking framed art from the 78 jackets someday. I think that would look neat.

Best Regards,
Stan

dpastern
01-22-2012, 02:45 AM
I envy the North Americans - in Australia, there's bugger all vinyl and what is there is in poor condition and very expensive - try >= AUD $25 apiece - for common 'trash' as you so succinctly put it. We're too far away to ship to with reasonable pricing too. :-(

I came across a guy on EBay Australia wanting to sell 600 classical LPs for $600 - I was @ work at the time and didn't read the description properly, and missed the postage costs that the seller had mentioned. Since I missed them, I sent the seller a message and got a very rude reply and he took the auction offline. He's now selling the same collection, wanting $900 - his rude reply was something along the lines of, I can sell these individually and make more money (greedy). His current auction is only doing local pickup, but even if it was shipping, I wouldn't buy from him!

This is the sort of thing this Aussie is finding about trying to source half decent vinyl locally. It's rather disheartening. If you don't believe me on the prices, go check out EBay Australia for "lots" or "bulk" or "collections" - you'll see some very expensive collections of LPs, certainly the opposite of what you're saying about the US/Canadian markets.

*sigh*

< / end rant>

Dave

dpastern
01-22-2012, 02:47 AM
I'll add to my last post, the reason why sales are jumping off the cliff are several fold imho:

1) poor quality artists

2) poor quality recordings (compression anyone?)

3) massive increase in broadband connections and music piracy. No one that I know buys their music - they *all* pirate it. Without exception. Today's youth have no manners, no honour and like to steal.

Dave

RGA
01-23-2012, 08:06 AM
I'll add to my last post, the reason why sales are jumping off the cliff are several fold imho:

1) poor quality artists

2) poor quality recordings (compression anyone?)

3) massive increase in broadband connections and music piracy. No one that I know buys their music - they *all* pirate it. Without exception. Today's youth have no manners, no honour and like to steal.

Dave

1) I don't see any better or worse artists now than I saw since the 1980s - crap then and crap now - it's just that it seems there is SOOOOO much out there now compared to the 80s that wading through it all is incredibly difficult. I remember the store had Country/Pop/Rock/Classical/Jazz and Folk. Now it seems like there are 6+ versions each of trance and Hip-Hop.

The economics of the 1980s was still ending a period where the wife could stay home and the dad could work - now both need to work in most cases and you don't buy a home you make payments for 30 years and it's not a home it's an apartment.

The prices have gone up salaries have not and that means the 13-16 year old has a choice - and the choice is to spend the money on the things you can't get for free.

And ultimately who is responsible for copying. It goes back to VHS - you give the consumer a RECORD button. What are they going to record - umm TV shows. Illegal - but hey it's the user's fault for using what JVC put on the box. Does JVC get any flack - no.

CD comes out - they put a RECORD button on the computer (essentially) and they even provide blank CD's. What did they think was going to happen? But it's the user's fault. Sure you don't have to do it but that kind of gift wrap temptation is begging for problems. A large chunk of the population is either afraid of the law or their afraid of the religious boogeyman in hell - but without those fears they'll descend into anarchy real fast - that's why we have them - not afraid of the law because you can skirt it but maybe you'll be afraid of eternal torture. :nono:

Kids no longer have any real punishment - they have so many rights that they didn't have when I was a kid. I'm in my 30s and even I had the strap when I was in school in Wales.

Kids wont see it as stealing - after all their parents ARE paying for the internet - and if you could not download stuff - you probably don't need to pay for the faster service - the Internet providers wouldn't be too happy.

And if the kids started to pay for music then that would be less PS3 and XBOX and games - even if the average age is 35 it's still a big loss in sales.

Further - many of the artists get their name out there through youtube and being downloaded - they may lose sales but really it isn't the artist that loses money - it's the mega corporation that owns the artists that loses money. Cause the kids don't have the money - it's either listen to you for free - or don't listen to you. And musicians keep saying it's about spreading their art - well great we don't have to make you a $350 millionaire.

What I want to see is the ARTIST directly sue the downloader - then I'll be convinced they are the ones with the main beef.

This doesn't justify it - it is stealing - but the reality is it's not going anywhere unless we adopt the draconian shutting down of sites like Mega-upload - it's a way to curtail free speech in the guise of copyright infringement - you go after the person who UPLOADS the copyright material - not the glorified server.

dpastern
01-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Well, having grown up in the 80s, I believe that the musical content was better than today's (mostly) crap. Compression of recordings is a major issue too, that wasn't present to a great deal in the 80s or earlier.

The rest I agree with - the cost of living has gone up, wages have stayed mostly still (so the rich can make even bigger profits!!!). I've long said that back in those days, the mother could stay at home and look after the kids (better discipline, something sadly lacking with most of today's youth imho), whilst the husband bought home the bacon. Not today - real estate costs are ridiculous, far outstripping income/CPI rises. The sad thing is, most of today's youth don't even question it, they simply accept things as they are.

Irrespective of the reasons, piracy is still piracy, and is still wrong. Whilst most of the lost sales hurt the RIAA/record companies, a small portion does hurt the artist. One can argue that most artists are rich enough, but that's really a moot point. I wonder how many people would like it if I said "right, you've earnt 50k in your life, anything else you earn we're stealing, but you still have to work!". That is essentially what is happening with piracy imho. Stealing is stealing, and it's wrong. The fact that parents don't care what their kids are doing just simply tells me that mum and dad are getting lazier and not disciplining their children to know what is wrong and right, and to do the right thing.

There is no reason for people to have huge download limits on their Internet connections either (I actually work for an ISP as a tech) - I can guarantee you that 99.999999% of those on Internet plans with large download limits are pirating movies and music incessantly. Worse, this outright piracy does force the price of the goods up for those of us who do the honest thing and pay for their goods. Let's limit Internet connections to 10GB download per month and see piracy drop.

Dave

RGA
01-23-2012, 06:05 PM
deleted

RoyY51
01-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Not to derail the current current, but I have these free albums...

dpastern
01-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Not to derail the current current, but I have these free albums...

If I was in the US, I'd take them to give them a home. But alas, it would cost hundreds of dollars for me to ship them to the US, making it economically non viable. Good luck though.

Dave

lovatoj@msn.com
02-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Do you still have them?

RoyY51
02-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Do you still have them?

I do, but I won't be shipping them to Virginia. Can you make arrangements for local pick-up?

recoveryone
02-26-2012, 09:30 AM
If I had a turntable, I would zoom down there and pick them up from San Berdo, but as it may I don't have one anymore and I would be in the same boat as you.

sennheiserfan007
03-10-2012, 10:24 AM
seems legit