how to get sounds through receiver from flat screen tv? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : how to get sounds through receiver from flat screen tv?

mixpix20
01-05-2012, 08:51 PM
I am currently using a Sansui 9090 db(1977, RCA plugs) & am in the process of connecting it to a Vizio LED flat screen. I don't how to get the receiver to output the sounds of the flat screen out of the audio system's speakers?

It worked with the old TV. I had a junction box with several RCA plug sets & was able to put my iPod through the system too.

I thought if I was able to connect to the available RCA plugs on the TV, I would get sound?

What am I doing wrong? What is different with these HDMI tvs that have some RCA capabilities?:mad2:

kelsci
01-06-2012, 02:23 AM
Does the tv have rca audio output jacks. If so you need to have a rca audio cord with 2 rca plugs at each end. Two of the plugs go to the audio output of the tv; the other two plugs would go into one set of the audio input jacks of the junction box provided you have additional jacks to take in those two plugs. If not, you would have to plug those two plugs into an aux input on the 9090 receiver provided you have an aux input available on the receiver. If you have done the above with the tv and the junction box and have not received sound from the tv, are you sure you have hit the right selector on the junction box for the tv auido input. If you have and you still have not received tv sound, I would check a menu on the tv to see if there is perhaps a segment in the menu that may turn on the tv audio output.

mixpix20
01-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Kelsi,

I am having trouble hooking the stuff up. I have a Vizio M3D460SR flat screen & want the set to play through the receiver, the aforementioned Sansui. I remember in the old days, the output of the device, the RCA plug wires went to the corresponding tape monitor, phono or in the case of a CD/DVD player, to the AUX.
I have only 1 AUX switch that I feed through a switch box. Normally, I call them an A-B switch, but this has 4 docks for connections, that then feed to the receiver. All I have to do is push the corresponding letter of the component & the receiver plays it. Currently I have the iPod, CD & TV. The old TV worked but this one I am having trouble because of the lack of intuitiveness for connecting digital devices.

I see some RCA connections on the flat screen, with a Red(right) & White(left). I thought those were the two I would run from? Then there are 3 others including another red. There are some abbreviations on them that doesn't jive with me. There is a yellow plug, so I assume that is for video? And finally, there is a blue one; perhaps Blue Ray DVD?

I do currently run from the dock, Red(rt) & white(Lt) to the box to the TV. I am assuming that the device (flat screen) is the input device & the receiver is the output?

kelsci, thanks for taking the time to read this.

markw
01-09-2012, 04:36 AM
Looking at your manual on line, it shows a "3.5 mm Audio Out", which looks like a headphone jack. The manual is hazy on what it does but, from it's label, I would assume that it will do exactly what you want. You can investigate further if you wish,

To use it, you need to get a cable with a stereo headphone jack on one end and red/white RCA plugs on the other. These are neither rare nor expensive and can be obtained at your local Radio Shack, Lowes, Home Depot, or even some well equipped dollar stores.

You would then connect it as you do your other devices.

But, from the other responses here, obviously your manual is wrong. I'd check it out, though

E-Stat
01-09-2012, 08:32 AM
I am currently using a Sansui 9090 db(1977, RCA plugs) & am in the process of connecting it to a Vizio LED flat screen. I don't how to get the receiver to output the sounds of the flat screen out of the audio system's speakers?
If your Vizio is like the two I own, you cannot. The RCA jacks on the Vizio are inputs only.. The only output is an optical digital output which requires either an HT receiver containing a DAC (I use a NAD HT receiver) or an external processor with an optical input. It's output could then be sent to a line input on the Sansui.

Check your manual for output options.

kelsci
01-09-2012, 10:43 AM
I was recently thinking along the comments from E-Stat. You would need a DAC known as a digital to analogue converter. The DAC should have an optical input because most likely your tv has an optical output. An opticall cable is connected from that tv optical output to the optical input of the DAC. The DAC in turn will convert that to two channel analogue sound. The DAC will have two RCA outputs of which you could hook up a stereo RCA cable between one of the inputs of the junction box and the DAC rca analogue output.

dingus
01-09-2012, 10:52 AM
the tv, like the receiver, is an output device not a source device. instead of routing the audio signal through the tv and then to the receiver, why not connect the audio source directly to the receiver?

Poultrygeist
01-09-2012, 12:22 PM
If your TV source is a cable/sat box use the red and white audio outputs from the box to connect to the Sansui input jacks.

If you have no cable/sat box then you can use the cheap DAC below to convert the Vizio digital audio outputs ( optical or coax cables required ) to the RCA analog inputs of the Sansui.

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B0053VKP8S

StevenSurprenant
01-10-2012, 05:29 AM
I think markw is right. My Samsung has a similar 3.5mm audio out jack and it works fine. You may have to go into your TV menu and turn your TV speakers "off" to get sound out of the audio jacks, I'm not sure about that. See page 19 of your manual about audio.

Order something like Amazon.com: RiteAV - 3.5mm to Stereo RCA Male Cable - 6 ft.: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-3-5mm-Stereo-Male-Cable/dp/B000V0G2C4)

Page 7 of your manual shows the mini jack at the top of the connections.

mixpix20
01-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Looking at your manual on line, it shows a "3.5 mm Audio Out", which looks like a headphone jack. The manual is hazy on what it does but, from it's label, I would assume that it will do exactly what you want. You can investigate further if you wish,

To use it, you need to get a cable with a stereo headphone jack on one end and red/white RCA plugs on the other. These are neither rare nor expensive and can be obtained at your local Radio Shack, Lowes, Home Depot, or even some well equipped dollar stores.

You would then connect it as you do your other devices.

But, from the other responses here, obviously your manual is wrong. I'd check it out, though

markw,
I do have that output you mention. thanks for taking the time to look it up. It didn't seem that I would have to use that earphone plug to access the receivers amplifier to the speakers?

That is the way it is on regular non digital TVs though. I connect direct to their RCA plugs & put through the AUX input & get sound out.

I must say, I do enjoy the fact that I can get most movies from Netflix. I was looking forward to hooking through my system to capture the theater sound.

The other day, I took my wife out to a movie & without popcorn, it was over $20!! What ever happened to the days of seeing movies for under $10? It doesn't leave you desiring to hit the concession stands. Usually I end up making a pit stop at a Trader Joe's to purchase the snacks. There is more than one way to beat inflation.

The whole Idea was to have our own theater setup. We can make our own popcorn, with olive oil. We can drink beer & wine. Our neighbors are welcome to join us. We usually invite their input for the showing.

Again markw, thanks. If there is no other manner & I need the conversion plug as you pointed out, I'll hit up Amazon or maybe Bestbuy, for the combo. Maybe their is a relatively intuitive name for it?

mixpix20
01-10-2012, 10:05 PM
I think markw is right. My Samsung has a similar 3.5mm audio out jack and it works fine. You may have to go into your TV menu and turn your TV speakers "off" to get sound out of the audio jacks, I'm not sure about that. See page 19 of your manual about audio.

Page 7 of your manual shows the mini jack at the top of the connections.

Thanks Steven,
It just didn't sink in I would need to utilize that output. I saw it there & thought it could be a possibility. It just seemed to be that the RCA jacks that were there, were to be utilized in that manner. I will order that wire combo you suggested.

Thanks again!

StevenSurprenant
01-11-2012, 12:29 AM
Thanks Steven,
It just didn't sink in I would need to utilize that output. I saw it there & thought it could be a possibility. It just seemed to be that the RCA jacks that were there, were to be utilized in that manner. I will order that wire combo you suggested.

Thanks again!

You might want to order a better quality wire, what I showed was just an example. Good luck!

BTW, To keep things clear, the composite connections are "inputs" into the TV and that is why they don't output sound.

markw
01-11-2012, 05:02 AM
That is the way WAS on SOME regular non digital TVs though. I connect direct to their RCA plugs & put through the AUX input & get sound out.Not all offered it.

And, consider yourself lucky that your new set even has this option. You got lucky. On today's TV's, many do not offer it at all.

Careful shopping is required if you want certain fetures that people once considered fairly standard. Some low-end DVD players don't offer any outputs at all except one lonely HDMI output, nothing else.

mixpix20
01-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Just for the sake of an update. I tried the plug & so far I don't know if it will work. I haven't messed around with the settings so I haven't ran into a dead end as of yet. I will investigate the DAC & get back to this topic.

I can't stomach getting rid of this Sansui 9090 db. I know it is two channel & I still have all 4 speakers paired with it, when it came out in 1977. It only went to the shop once & still sounds great. I used the AUX on it for a regular TV for years.

Now with potential Super Bowl party & neighbors desiring to watch movies on the digital screen, which also offers 3D, I have to get these systems to interface.

I appreciate you alls collective expertise in finding a pathway to accomplish it. I know you guys feel as strongly as I do about analog audio. The new digital stuff just doesn't have that real sound. Don't get me wrong, I like digital, but sometimes the analog has a the sound I miss.

Thanks again for your help, I'll keep you posted.

StevenSurprenant
01-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Just for the sake of an update. I tried the plug & so far I don't know if it will work. I haven't messed around with the settings so I haven't ran into a dead end as of yet. I will investigate the DAC & get back to this topic.

Thanks again for your help, I'll keep you posted.

If you have the plug installed just go into your TV menu and turn off the TV speakers. That should/might activate the audio out over your new plug.

Good luck.

mixpix20
01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
If you have the plug installed just go into your TV menu and turn off the TV speakers. That should/might activate the audio out over your new plug.

Good luck.
I was finally able to get the ear jack output to work. It had to do with the setting on the Analog Audio Out to "fixed". I had thought it would be "variable", but it wasn't going anywhere. The TV speakers work at the same time. They don't sound too bad at room volume, but I don't think I could put much juice through them, without them losing out.

Good news is that the sound is great! It was worth the frustration & I haven't the desire for the 5.1 sound. With 125 watts a side & each speaker containing 18" or 19" woofer, a 6" or 8" mid range, 2 horns, with 2-3 super tweets. There are 4 speakers with that configuration; wood grills also.

I would be willing to trade two of them off for two Yamaha NS 1000 or equivalent. The SPX 9000 don't require much to drive them; very sensitive. They like to be loud however. 10 watts into them & you'll get complaints from the neighbors. I like the Yamaha's for the softer sound they have. At times I really prefer the Sansuis' but they also take up some room in the house.

In the past, I have used book shelf speakers but they don't have the base or the drive the Sansui SPX 9000 speakers have. I prefer these speakers over Bose 901s, but would like to have the aforementioned Yamahas' for the different variety of sound.

I know there are a lot of American companies that made excellent speakers as well. They might have been household names at the time, but might be obscure today?

I'd even be willing to do a speaker share; if there is such a thing? Meaning that you trade the speakers you have to someone else for theirs, then trade back or to someone else. I know there probably isn't such an animal but I would be interested if one existed.

I am really happy the flat screen & the receiver paired up. Looking forward to watching some NFL playoff football in big screen & big sound. I can't blame the friends if they don't come by; the weather is excellent, and I expect them to be at the beach instead.

Thank you all for your input.

StevenSurprenant
01-14-2012, 06:47 AM
I'm happy that it worked out for you. In fact, I'm sure we're all happy for you.

Thanks for letting us help.