xmas JAZZ! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : xmas JAZZ!

hifitommy
01-02-2012, 01:55 PM
i attended the kkjz show-Jingle Jazz at the el rey theater in LA. only 50 bucks for two seats! (and that includes a year's membership in the radio station which is public funded.)

barbara morrison sang and stood up on her, now ONLY leg (recent diabetes event) and swung hard.

THEN it was kurt elling as good as i have ever seen him (several times now). what a BARGAIN.

an even though it was a christmas show, very little xmas music was performed which is OK with me.

kurt keeps getting better all the time and really deifines the term-intelligent jazz. if you like him at all, make sure to see him LIVE.

Enochrome
01-02-2012, 05:09 PM
I just picked up a Kurt Elling albums on a whim at the Goodwill for $1.00.
I had heard of him but anything by him. I actually expected to be just ok but it turned out to be quite good.
The album was.. let me think.. Flirting with Twilight. I like how he articulates.

Cheers man that sounds like a great show. I will look out for the next time he plays. The El Rey kicks ass! I have seen many shows there and it is still my favorite place to see a concert.

hifitommy
01-02-2012, 06:01 PM
his strongest album is the messenger, particularly the cut 'tanya jean'. i love the way he does tunes covering others' tunes like winelight, and night moves among others.

his latest-the gate-is a must have as well. i could say that about any of them.