Cr*p! there goes the amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cr*p! there goes the amp

Enochrome
01-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Sh*t my Jolida 502a just fried a power transformer!!!!:incazzato:
Right before I was about to post it for sale. I'll have to put it on the "to fix" shelf. Man that was bad timing.

Does anyone know a CHEAP place/site to pick up power transformers?

Thank god I have my Acurus that thing is built like a tank (knock on wood)

Poultrygeist
01-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Buddy I feel your pain. It's the same situation that drew me to Bottlehead gear which sells replacement parts with a forum of builders to help with repair.

Isn't there a Jolida USA?

Glen B
01-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Digi-Key, Mouser and Allied Electronics sell power transformers. Its best to contact the amp manufacturer first.

Enochrome
01-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Man I thought about it and after spending about $100 for Power Transformer and $30 in who knows what other parts, I still could only sell it for 650 tops. I already have two turntable projects and a speaker project on the docket. I felt the time vs. money situation and i'd rather spend time on girls and doing artwork. This was an amp that was dethroned by my Acurus DIA 100 in all respects.

Eventually I want to build the Decware Set Triode Kit and some of those fullrange or OB speakers for a total DIY set up for classy ladies and too piss of my friends with envy :)

blue_z
01-04-2012, 06:28 PM
> after spending about $100 for Power Transformer

What did you use for a replacement power xfmr? I also need to replace the power xfmr in a Jolida 502a, but haven't been able to find anything that can deliver 500mA for B+ like the stock transformer.

Regards

Enochrome
01-05-2012, 07:38 AM
I read on a forum that this Hammond 1650 Output Transformer can work, although I can't verify that.
Also, there seems to be several different variations on this model indicated by the letter at the end of the 1650 and the different prices along with each one.

*Correction it seems that the "P" model I linked to seems to be the correct one because the description below the picture states that it can be used with 6550 & KT88 power tubes,which is what the 502a designed to run on.

Also here is Jolida's service department # : 301-953-2014 and they can give you an estimate and shipping quote. I did not call them because I have already promised to sell mine for parts.

Good Luck

blue_z
01-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi there

Thanks for the reply, but it's confusing.
First you wrote:
> my Jolida 502a just fried a power transformer!
and then
But most recently you mention an output xfmr:
>I read on a forum that this Hammond 1650 Output Transformer can work
That was probably in reference to Patrick Turner's repair work.

Regards

Enochrome
01-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Hi there

Thanks for the reply, but it's confusing.
First you wrote:
> my Jolida 502a just fried a power transformer!
and then
But most recently you mention an output xfmr:
>I read on a forum that this Hammond 1650 Output Transformer can work
That was probably in reference to Patrick Turner's repair work.

Regards

Oh, sorry man I misspoke. I meant the output transformer. And as it turns out it was not even that. I listed it for sale for "parts/as-is" on Audiogon and the person who came to buy it turned out to be the west coast tech for Jolida. He took on look at it and said it probably wasn't the transformer. We popped open the bottom and low and behold a peice of plastic that some how regulated or did something to one of the tubes broke off, which then caused the the tube to surge and smoke. This guy is a class act and offered to fix it for me instead of buying it. I can't begin to tell you the stories he told me because he is also a tech for some more reputable companies and he holds Joilda in high regard.

I can ask him whatever question you might have about your Jolida. Was it that your power transformer went bad? I can ask where to get a replacement.

Let me know.