What are looking forward to in 2012? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What are looking forward to in 2012?

Swish
12-27-2011, 03:41 PM
I saw The Shins will be releasing their 4th record sometime in March, so I'm really anxious for that. I wasn't a big fan of their last one, Wincing the Night Away, so I'm hoping this one will be more in line with Chutes Too Narrow.

The name is Port of Morrow and her are some details:

Tracklisting:
1. The Rifle's Spiral
2. Simple Song
3. It's Only Life
4. No Way Down
5. September
6. Bait and Switch
7. Fall of '82
8. For A Fool
9. 40 Mark Strasse
10. Port of Morrow

Port of Morrow was recorded in Los Angeles and Portland over the course of 2011 with James Mercer as usual handling all songwriting duties, lead vocals and the majority of instrumentation. The album was produced by Greg Kurstin and mixed by Rich Costey.

An exact release date as well as touring plans will be announced shortly. As with the dates earlier this year, the upcoming tour will see Mercer leading a Shins lineup of Yuuki Matthews (bass), Jessica Dobson (guitar), Richard Swift (keyboards) and Joe Plummer (drums).

Slosh
12-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Didn't know about The Shins. I thought Broken Bells meant the end of The Shins. Cardinal and Andrew Bird are supposed to have new albums in 2012 I believe.

I'm kinda curious about the upcoming Soundgarden album, though my expectations aren't very high. Who knows, maybe it'll actually be good.

Swish
12-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Didn't know about The Shins. I thought Broken Bells meant the end of The Shins. Cardinal and Andrew Bird are supposed to have new albums in 2012 I believe.

I'm kinda curious about the upcoming Soundgarden album, though my expectations aren't very high. Who knows, maybe it'll actually be good.

...and he's giving away a digital copy of the album and two live EPs if you buy a ticket to one of his upcoming shows. I'm pretty sure I'll be at his show in Philly on May 3rd. Care to join me?

Rae
12-27-2011, 06:47 PM
süßer Tod / selige Ruh?

~Rae

3LB
12-27-2011, 08:10 PM
I loved Wincing The Night Away. It gets more spins than Chutes Too Narrow.

Mr MidFi
12-28-2011, 06:18 AM
...and he's giving away a digital copy of the album and two live EPs if you buy a ticket to one of his upcoming shows. I'm pretty sure I'll be at his show in Philly on May 3rd. Care to join me?

More info here:
http://forums.audioreview.com/rave-recordings/andrew-bird-tour-info-37511.html

That would also be my choice for most-anticipated event of the year... with the possible exception of the Mayan Apocalypse.

Swish
12-28-2011, 12:53 PM
süßer Tod / selige Ruh?

~Rae

Sweet!

Stone
12-29-2011, 06:35 AM
I'm looking to a year full of bachelorist debauchery, and parenthood (though not at the same time).

Musically, I hope the Wrens finish up and release their album, and anticipating the new The Men record and a bunch of vinyl scrounging.

dean_martin
12-29-2011, 07:30 AM
I had an interesting email exchange with an entertainment lawyer yesterday. He's predicting that Alabama Shakes will have a breakout year in 2012. I'll be watching/listening to see what they do.

Here's an EP from this year:

Alabama Shakes (http://alabamashakes.bandcamp.com/)

Rae
12-29-2011, 07:48 AM
Sweet!

Hahaha, sure! I'd be satisfied either way. Apocalypse! Or if not, choral music.

~Rae

Rae
12-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Anyone want to recommend a decent recording, as long as I'm thinking about it?

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
12-29-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm looking to a year full of bachelorist debauchery.

I'm sorry to hear that Stone. Or maybe I should be happy for you. Either way break-ups are never easy when there are kids involved.

I'm looking forward to The Shins and Andrew Bird's new disks. As well as catching up on a few 2011 releases that I haven't had a chance to pick up yet.

And possibly realizing a lifelong dream of 20/20 vision without glasses...if I can work up the nerve. :D

Also, meeting some RR friends in person for the first time and, hopefully, getting together with some old (and I mean OLD) RR friends again.