Poll; The Best DVDs (for sound and video) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Poll; The Best DVDs (for sound and video)

Doc Adams
04-16-2004, 05:48 AM
So, I don't know if I am allowed to start a poll here, being new and all, but I am looking for some challenging DVDs to test out our new Denon AVR 2803. Since there was another poll of the most disappointing, how about the ones that you would appoint to a list of the best? If this poll has allready been taken and posted somewhere please advise and I will just go dig that one up. Good Day Mates! Doc

AZHT
04-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Gladiator seems to be a good one for home theater. Blade 2 has great midbass/bass. T3 is a good one too.

Lexmark3200
04-16-2004, 11:30 AM
Gladiator seems to be a good one for home theater. Blade 2 has great midbass/bass. T3 is a good one too.

Agreed that Gladiator running in DTS ES mode and T3 in DD 5.1 are absolute demo gems....also, some I use are Episode II: Attack of the Clones (DD EX), ABSOLUTELY U-571 (in 5.1 DTS---awesome), Daredevil (5.1 DTS), The Patriot (DD 5.1), The Haunting (DTS ES), Twister (5.1 DTS).

Widowmaker
04-16-2004, 12:52 PM
If you want to test your black levels and sound, Minority Report is hard to beat. It has very accurate blacks and an enveloping (but not overly thumping) dts track.

If you want to test you color saturation and bass levels, go with The Fast and the Furious. The technical rice rockets are made for color tuning and the dts track will really tick off your neighbors.

Lexmark3200
04-16-2004, 01:00 PM
If you want to test your black levels and sound, Minority Report is hard to beat. It has very accurate blacks and an enveloping (but not overly thumping) dts track.

If you want to test you color saturation and bass levels, go with The Fast and the Furious. The technical rice rockets are made for color tuning and the dts track will really tick off your neighbors.

Agreed; I forgot to mention Fast and the Furious' DTS soundtrack --- sure demo material. Be sure to have that one cranked up.

cam
04-16-2004, 03:58 PM
So, I don't know if I am allowed to start a poll here, being new and all, but I am looking for some challenging DVDs to test out our new Denon AVR 2803. Since there was another poll of the most disappointing, how about the ones that you would appoint to a list of the best? If this poll has allready been taken and posted somewhere please advise and I will just go dig that one up. Good Day Mates! Doc
To test the sound of your 2803, Queens greatest hits 1 & 2 especially 2. They are both in dts 96/24 which your 2803 supports.

paul_pci
04-16-2004, 06:58 PM
I loved the sound on Pirates of the Caribbean and Saving Private Ryan. If you're running video through the receiver, I like animation to get an idea of coloring. Something like Simpsons, Toy Story, Monsters, Inc. you get the idea. And don't forget to blast an action movie as loud as possible and when you start to get complaints, just explain it's all apart of the neighbor's tolerance calibration test.

Doc Adams
04-16-2004, 09:06 PM
To test the sound of your 2803, Queens greatest hits 1 & 2 especially 2. They are both in dts 96/24 which your 2803 supports.

Thanks, ordered the box set released in 2002 of GH 1, 2, & 3 from Amazon. Very good suggestion as we did not have even one Queen CD in the house! Doc
:cool:

cam
04-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Thanks, ordered the box set released in 2002 of GH 1, 2, & 3 from Amazon. Very good suggestion as we did not have even one Queen CD in the house! Doc
:cool:
I know Queen has greatest hits cd's, I was talking about dvd's. Queen's greatest hits 1 and 2 has all original videos but with 5.1 dts 96/24 audio which is just about as good as it gets. I have not heard of #3 but I will be looking out for it since I am a big Queen fan.