Pioneer 700 hpm. PLEASE HELP [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer 700 hpm. PLEASE HELP

joe.1412
12-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Hello. i'm not an expert in speakers and receivers and these stuff but i heard a lot of good stuff about them, i recently bought a pair of pioneer 700 hpm and each one is 120w.
currently i'm looking at receivers and amps but i don't know ANYTHING about it. all i know is that the receiver needs to be 120w per channel so the speakers can sound good at their max volume, i dont know if i need a 2.1 or 5.1 receiver and do i need an amp ? or pre amp ? please tell me what i exactly need for these speakers to sounds GREAT and LOUD ! thnaks !!

markw
12-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Hello. i'm not an expert in speakers and receivers and these stuff but i heard a lot of good stuff about them, i recently bought a pair of pioneer 700 hpm and each one is 120w.
currently i'm looking at receivers and amps but i don't know ANYTHING about it. all i know is that the receiver needs to be 120w per channel so the speakers can sound good at their max volume, i dont know if i need a 2.1 or 5.1 receiver and do i need an amp ? or pre amp ? please tell me what i exactly need for these speakers to sounds GREAT and LOUD ! thnaks !!Those power ratings on speakers are more of a rule of thumb and is easily proven wrong by using ones head.

Just because a speaker might be able to absorb a constant 120 watts before smoking out does not mean they will sound good while doing so. They could be terribly distorted as they reach that point.

Likewise, you can feed them more power that they are rated for if you use common sense and turn them down if you start to hear anything weird. I've successfully driven speakers rated at 40 wpc(minimus 7's) with a 125 wpc amp and they sounded great, considerng the laws of physics. In fact, the extra power came in handy when (trying) to reproduce deep bass peaks when I was listening at reasonable levels. If it started to sound bad, (and at times it did) I turned it down immediately and they live on today.

Likewise, just because an amp doesn't deliver 120 wpc doesn't mean that your speaker swill sound bad. 120 watts is only three measly decibels louder on peaks than a 60 watt amp. And, three decibels is barely audible. On a constant level, I'd be surprised if you, or anyone, uses more than 5 watts in a home environment.

Remember what was said in the previous paragraphs: If it starts to sound bad, tun it down now.

joe.1412
12-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Those power ratings on speakers are more of a rule of thumb and is easily proven wrong by using ones head.

Just because a speaker might be able to absorb a constant 120 watts before smoking out does not mean they will sound good while doing so. They could be terribly distorted as they reach that point.

Likewise, you can feed them more power that they are rated for if you use common sense and turn them down if you start to hear anything weird. I've successfully driven speakers rated at 40 wpc(minimus 7's) with a 125 wpc amp and they sounded great, considerng the laws of physics. In fact, the extra power came in handy when (trying) to reproduce deep bass peaks when I was listening at reasonable levels. If it started to sound bad, (and at times it did) I turned it down immediately and they live on today.

Likewise, just because an amp doesn't deliver 120 wpc doesn't mean that your speaker swill sound bad. 120 watts is only three measly decibels louder on peaks than a 60 watt amp. And, three decibels is barely audible. On a constant level, I'd be surprised if you, or anyone, uses more than 5 watts in a home environment.

Remember what was said in the previous paragraphs: If it starts to sound bad, tun it down now.

thanks but that's the part that i know. what i need help with is knowing what kind of receiver or amp i need to buy for the speakers because i've no clue

markw
12-27-2011, 04:41 AM
thanks but that's the part that i know.Really? That seems to contradict what you said in your previous post.

Perhaps this thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/speakers/matching-amp-rms-w-speakers-1194.html), located about half a page down, might help explain the concept a bit better. That way, you can take what you learn and apply it to your own situation, both now and in the future.

what i need help with is knowing what kind of receiver or amp i need to buy for the speakers because i've no clueIt really doesn't matter as long as it has enough clean power to drive your speakers, does it?

But, IIWY, I'd be looking for a vintage stereo receiver in the 30 + watt range. Those speakers don't require much power to make a lot of noise and you wold be surprised at how loud a 30 watt Marantz 2230 can play with efficient speakers, which yours are.

FWIW, I've never seen a "2.1" receiver. That ".1" is a product of digital processing which refers to a separate, distinct, dedicated, LFE channel which is found on AVR's.