Ridley Scott: Streaming Media Stinks [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ridley Scott: Streaming Media Stinks

Smokey
12-25-2011, 09:11 PM
http://wgtccdn.wegotthiscovered.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/ridley-scott-560x360.jpg

Oscar-nominated director Ridley Scott says all the hype around streaming media and mobile delivery for watching movies is a basically a bunch of phooey, because the format lacks the "great sound and pristine picture" of the original movie.

Director said in a Huffington Post column that public has become "preoccupied" with "this era of innovation" and it disregards what's most important: sound and video quality.

"In my view, the only way to see a film remains the way the filmmaker intended: inside a large movie theater with great sound and pristine picture. Music and dialogue that doesn't fully reproduce the soundtrack of the original loses an essential element for its appreciation," the director of "Alien" and "Gladiator" writes. "Simply put, the film loses its power."

He goes on the say Blu-ray discs are "the closest we've come to replicating the best theatrical viewing experience I've ever seen. It allows us to present in a person's living room films in their original form with proper colors, aspect ratio, sound quality, and, perhaps most importantly, startling clarity."

He advises no one to write off "physical media," which he believes will be around for years.

Ridley Scott: The Only Way to See a Film (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ridley-scott/film-viewing-blu-ray_b_1132350.html)

recoveryone
12-26-2011, 10:13 AM
I agree 100%, we have become a culture of self center, and single mindness closing ourselves off from our neighbors, co-workers and the rest of the world with so many personal devices. We have went from a brick size cell phone to ones that were smaller than the palm of your hand and back again to these tablets. More powerful, yes, capable of doing more, yes, but at what cost. Part of the movie experience was sharing it with others, along with the big screen effect. I still feel that way today with my HT, that I want to share that experience with family & friends.

Woochifer
12-26-2011, 01:16 PM
So Smoke, what's YOUR opinion on this?

My response is very simple -- if anyone wants to question what Ridley Scott is saying, watch Blade Runner on DVD or on a streaming player, then watch it on Blu-ray. Argument settled instantly.

Smokey
12-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Part of the movie experience was sharing it with others, along with the big screen effect. I still feel that way today with my HT, that I want to share that experience with family & friends.

Definitely agree with you there. When you watch a movie with somebody else, the jokes seem to be funnier, dramatic scenes more intense and action scenes draws more "Owes and Ahes".

So Smoke, what's YOUR opinion on this?

I tend to collect movies, so i say physical format is where its at if you want prestine video and audio. With my recent experience as a Netflix memeber :ihih:, have to say streaming still have long way to go to be an viable alternative to physical format. It pretty much ruin a movie watching experince after seeing all artifacts, compression and lack of vivid color from streaming.

But to be fair here, I have downloaded some HD material from the net that make the jaw drop in terms of picture quality. But to stream a movie with such a high quality and bit rate would require eliminating bottle neck that exist in internet today.

Mash
12-29-2011, 03:51 PM
CONTROL ! People want control, and they are willing to pay for it.

Do you ride in a plush bus instead of your car? Probably not. Your car takes you where you want to go, when you want to go there.

Would you go by airline if you have a suitable airplane on your private airstrip?

Would you rent a boat if you have a good boat at your own dock?

Heck, no.

And the "rules" are looser when you are in your airplane and your boat.

It is also your butt on the line, so have at it.
[The FAA is not so concerned about your life in your airplane, but rather the lives of the people in the airliners and on the ground. It is exhilarating!]