Speaker help for a newbie [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker help for a newbie

RFT
12-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Hello experts,

I need some serious speaker help. I am new to the sound world and I am getting ready to purchase my first home theater system. I am looking to get a 5.1 system to start and my budget is around $2,000-$2,500. I think I have settled for a Denon receiver (either the AVR-1912 or the AVR-2312), but I can be talked into something else. Assuming the receiver costs about $600-$700, my speaker budget goes down to $1,300-$1,800. I listened to some B&W bookshelf speakers in this price range at a home theater store and was quite impressed. Before buying anything though, I would like to receive some advice. Are there any other brands I should look at (there are so many choices!)? Am I on the right track? Is there anything else I need? My room size is about 16’ x 20’.

Also, is there a good wireless solution? This room has ceramic floors and no attic, so running wires to the back speakers is impossible.

Any help is appreciated!
-Rodrigo

blackraven
12-25-2011, 10:24 AM
I would consider an Onkyo 800 series receiver or Marantz. The Marantz has a warmer sound as all Marantz gear does and it would be a good match for the B&W's.. Martin Logan makes wireless subs. B&W's are a good choice, others to consider are PSB, Paradigm, NHT Classic series, Monitor Audio.

markw
12-25-2011, 11:19 AM
A goodly portion of the impact, and satisfaction, of a HT system comes from the low end. Don't skimp on the subwoofer.

If music has any importance to you, when you audition speakers, take music you're familiar with and concentrate on listenng to the front right and left pair with no subwoofer or added DSP enhancement from the receiver. If a pair of speakers sounds good on music, you can bet they will do well on HT.

Once you find a pair that suits your tastes on music, go for the center and surrounds from the same line.

The subwoofer should only fill in the bottom end. If the system depends on it for music, there are problems. A good sub will mate with any good speakers.

Epik (http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/) makes a killer line and for $499, you can get possibly the only sub you'll ever need.

The smaller Denon should be fine for your purposes since the sub does the heavy lifting. From that point on, you should be able to concentrate on your front three and surrounds. Many options exist besides B & W which are fine, but tend to be somewhat on the pricey side. Listen to anything and everything you can and keep lurking here and other forums for other ideas. This question pops up often.

If you do go with an internet only seller, be aware of their return policy and keep all packing material until you're absolutely sure they are "the one".

cackalacky
12-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Hello experts,

I need some serious speaker help. I am new to the sound world and I am getting ready to purchase my first home theater system. I am looking to get a 5.1 system to start and my budget is around $2,000-$2,500. I think I have settled for a Denon receiver (either the AVR-1912 or the AVR-2312), but I can be talked into something else. Assuming the receiver costs about $600-$700, my speaker budget goes down to $1,300-$1,800. I listened to some B&W bookshelf speakers in this price range at a home theater store and was quite impressed. Before buying anything though, I would like to receive some advice. Are there any other brands I should look at (there are so many choices!)? Am I on the right track? Is there anything else I need? My room size is about 16’ x 20’.

Also, is there a good wireless solution? This room has ceramic floors and no attic, so running wires to the back speakers is impossible.

Any help is appreciated!
-Rodrigo

Good advice on not skimping with the sub. PSB's Image bookshelf speakers will save you some money over B&W while giving you good sound. They've got reasonable subs as well.

blackraven
12-25-2011, 01:14 PM
If you can find a dealer and like the sound of PSB speakers, Saturday Audio (http://www.saturdayaudio.com) has B-stock PS speakers at good discounts. I bought a pair of PSB image B6's for my son for $100 off the regular price.

Mr Peabody
12-26-2011, 03:48 PM
I also agree with not skimping on the sub. :)

You may also want to listen to Epos, Energy. Wharfdale which are brands that offer a lot on a budget, and Paradigm. Although with Denon the Paradigm could lean to the bright side.

RFT
12-28-2011, 06:52 AM
Thanks to everyone for the advice. Now that I feel a bit more educated, I can go back to the HT store and ask more educated questions.

On the wireless options, the salesman at the store recommended a Soundcast transmitter (called Sorroundcast). Anyone has any experience with these? Is there something better out there?

Claudio 1949
12-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Hi guys: Been a musician for 50 years and also a very active Audiophile for about 40! Just want to say "Hello."