What would you do? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

kpzbee
04-16-2004, 05:22 AM
I have a pair of Esone towers that sound fantastic but don't have the rest of the "set". Would I be better off getting a used Esone center channel speaker that matches, or looking for a new speaker of some other brand to try & match the towers? I am also going to replace my current surrounds with a pair of bookshelf speakers with stands. What would you do or recomend?

Worf101
04-16-2004, 12:40 PM
I have a pair of Esone towers that sound fantastic but don't have the rest of the "set". Would I be better off getting a used Esone center channel speaker that matches, or looking for a new speaker of some other brand to try & match the towers? I am also going to replace my current surrounds with a pair of bookshelf speakers with stands. What would you do or recomend?

If you can get a center channel that matches the mains in driver and timbre I'd get it. You may have to consider Wife Acceptance Factor or if it'll fit on top of the TV but other than that go for it. None of my centers match my mains. Most of my speakers are vintage and center channels weren't invented then. So... I get the best mains I can that do both HT and 2 channel stereo well and go out and get the best center channel I can for the space money.

Hope this helps...

Da Worfster :D

kpzbee
04-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Thanks Worfster. I have an Optimus center now but am not happy with it. I thought I might use it as a rear center in a 6.1 set-up. I might head over to the audio store & test drive what they carry before I do this. Thanks for your input!

Keith

Geoffcin
04-16-2004, 06:20 PM
If you can get a center channel that matches the mains in driver and timbre I'd get it. You may have to consider Wife Acceptance Factor or if it'll fit on top of the TV but other than that go for it. None of my centers match my mains. Most of my speakers are vintage and center channels weren't invented then. So... I get the best mains I can that do both HT and 2 channel stereo well and go out and get the best center channel I can for the space money.

Hope this helps...

I'm using a Cambridge Soundworks MC500 with my Magnepans as mains and it's working quite well. My center is not for everyone as it's quite a behemoth, but I'm of the opinion that you get a quality center, chances are it'll work fine with just about any speakers you mate it with.

kpzbee
04-16-2004, 06:36 PM
I'm using a Cambridge Soundworks MC500 with my Magnepans as mains and it's working quite well. My center is not for everyone as it's quite a behemoth, but I'm of the opinion that you get a quality center, chances are it'll work fine with just about any speakers you mate it with.

I looked up your center & yes, it is BIG. LOL To big for the space I have. I'll keep that in mind to get a better quality speaker when I'm looking.
Thanks again.

Worf101
04-17-2004, 07:01 AM

maybe it's a "guy thing". I have a Klipsch KLF-C7 that has two 8"s and tweet I think. That thing is honking huge... but I never have to worry about dialogue that's for sure and, being so large you get more bass and full tonality than you'd normally get from a low profile center. Mine goes down to aroun 48hz.... can't beat that for a fully rounded sound.