Merry Christmas! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas!

Feanor
12-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Merry Christmas everybody. :15:

JohnMichael
12-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Actually scholars think Jesus was born in September and conceived in December. Happy conception day!

ken88
12-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Merry Xmas and happy new year to you all. Thanks to all of you for your great advise and input. May 2012 bring out better products at lower costs!!! Have a safe, healthy and prosperous new year.

winston
12-25-2011, 10:58 AM
and even if we don't observed this day, it's still a day to sit back and put our thoughts into "perspective" Merry Christmas to the all forum member :smilewinkgrin:

bobsticks
12-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Merry Christmas and season's greetings to all!

ForeverAutumn
12-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Merry Christmas everyone.

manlystanley
12-27-2011, 06:37 AM
Likewise, a belated Christmas. I thought that that Jesus was born in the spring time? But, I can be wrong.

Best regards,
Stan

JohnMichael
12-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Likewise, a belated Christmas. I thought that that Jesus was born in the spring time? But, I can be wrong.

Best regards,
Stan

May depend on which scholar you read. The idea of the rebirth of nature in the Spring would seem to have been a fitting time. They looked at the times to register for taxes, warm enough to stay in a manger and the stars in the sky. Our Christmas date is very close to the winter solstice and where much of the symbolism of the holiday comes from. December 25th is considered the first day where you can perceive days becoming longer after the shortest day of the solstice. I do marvel at how many decorate their home with pagan symbols.

Hyfi
12-27-2011, 07:59 AM
Back at ya everyone.

The Dec 25th date is used in many beliefs and totally bogus in each one.

3LB
12-28-2011, 06:40 AM
Our Christmas date is very close to the winter solstice and where much of the symbolism of the holiday comes from. December 25th is considered the first day where you can perceive days becoming longer after the shortest day of the solstice. I do marvel at how many decorate their home with pagan symbols.

Its fun to explain that to people. I saw a tirade on FB where (one of my cousins was ranting) someone was angry that her kids' school was using the term 'holidays' instead of Christmas. She stated that, "its stupid to use the term Holiday Tree when it's a Christmas Tree!!!!!!" I chimed in with a link to the origin of the tradition and got a nasty PM from her.

Smokey
12-28-2011, 04:42 PM
December 25th is considered the first day where you can perceive days becoming longer after the shortest day of the solstice. I do marvel at how many decorate their home with pagan symbols.

Usually, winter solstice fall on Dec 21 which make it the shortest day of year, and longest night of year. Many old world religion celebrate the longest night of year by stay up all night with freinds and family partying welcoming the new born Sun.

JohnMichael
12-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Usually, winter solstice fall on Dec 21 which make it the shortest day of year, and longest night of year. Many old world religion celebrate the longest night of year by stay up all night with freinds and family partying welcoming the new born Sun.

Yes it is on the 21st but by the 25th the days are growing longer until the summer solstice which is the longest day with the shortest night.

Smokey
12-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Yes it is on the 21st but by the 25th the days are growing longer until the summer solstice which is the longest day with the shortest night.

I guess few minutes here and there won't matter :D

IMO anytime we get to have couple of days off from work is a cause for celebration whether the religion holiday is from Christian, Islam, Jews, Budda or Pagans :)

JohnMichael
12-28-2011, 06:31 PM
I guess few minutes here and there won't matter :D

IMO anytime we get to have couple of days off from work is a cause for celebration whether the religion holiday is from Christian, Islam, Jews, Budda or Pagans :)

When I was younger I thought about joining all religions for the Holy Days. I could have really reduced my days at work.

markw
12-29-2011, 08:12 AM
A belated Merry Christmas to all who want to celebrate it and to those pedantic scrooges who would gladly see it destroyed or banned, at least get it right: The solstice was on the 22nd this year, not the 21st.

Hyfi
12-29-2011, 08:19 AM
When I was younger I thought about joining all religions for the Holy Days. I could have really reduced my days at work.

Yeah, I used to get upset in grade school because all the jewish kids had off on all the J-Holidays AND Xmas Holidays.