Paradigm Studio 100 vs Salk SongTower RT? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Studio 100 vs Salk SongTower RT?

tsweers89
12-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Well after auditioning many different speakers i have narrowed it down to Paradigm Studio 100s v5 and Song Tower RT. I picked Song Towers because of all the reviews and things i have read online. Only problem is i can not audition them any were in my area. So i come to you guys to help me out. These will be uses as 90% HT and 10% music. Price range is $2800 or under.

Set-up so far
Room size:15'x13' (estimate)
Pioneer elite sc-27 AVR
Martin Logan TF Encore center
Polk rti8 used as surrounds
Sunfire Sub
Kimber Kable used throughout

I don't plan on upgrading to a separate amp anytime soon. Next upgrades will be a matching center and surrounds. Any advice?

Feanor
12-19-2011, 06:01 AM
Well after auditioning many different speakers i have narrowed it down to Paradigm Studio 100s v5 and Song Tower RT. I picked Song Towers because of all the reviews and things i have read online. Only problem is i can not audition them any were in my area. So i come to you guys to help me out. These will be uses as 90% HT and 10% music. Price range is $2800 or under.

Set-up so far
Room size:15'x13' (estimate)
Pioneer elite sc-27 AVR
Martin Logan TF Encore center
Polk rti8 used as surrounds
Sunfire Sub
Kimber Kable used throughout

I don't plan on upgrading to a separate amp anytime soon. Next upgrades will be a matching center and surrounds. Any advice?
In my opinion you don't need large floor standers in an HT set up; (much and all though the makers might like to sell them to you). Monitors and a really good subwoofer are a better option.

Accordingly my thought would be to get the Paradigm Studio 20's and perhaps upgrade your subwoofer. I don't know about Sunfire sub, but the Studio Sub 12 or Sub 15 would be good it you needed an upgrade. For HT you're going to need the sub anyway and the money saved going to the 20 vs. the 100 and better go elsewhere in your system such as your center & rears, or your receiver.

The same strategy would apply to the Salk equivalents if you decide to go for that marque.

Bear in mind that good, current AV receivers are equiped with automated equalization system such as Audyssey; these compensate well for the minor frequency response difference that exist between brands such as Paradigm or Salk. I don't know if your Pioneer has auto EQ.

blackraven
12-19-2011, 10:16 AM
My vote would be for the ST's. I did not care for the Studio series. I do like the Signature series however. I go to hear a pair of ST's at Frank Van Alstine's house. It is a very well rounded speaker. People that buy Salk speakers are rarely dissatisfied and you almost never see used one's up for sale unless some one is upgrading to a better model.

RGA
12-19-2011, 05:13 PM
For home theater - I too would opt for the standmounts and a sub or possibly two since you may have additional savings from the floorstanders.

tsweers89
12-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Well i think the paradigms are officially out of the question. Only problem now is 2 new contenders have entered in its place. Funny how that works. Anyways narrowed it down to these 3, i hope.
-Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower w/RAAL ($2800 +shipping)
-The Philharmonic 2 w/RAAL ($2000 + shipping) but only available in black
-Salk Sound Tower w/RAAL ($2700 + shipping)

Feanor
12-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Well i think the paradigms are officially out of the question. Only problem now is 2 new contenders have entered in its place. Funny how that works. Anyways narrowed it down to these 3, i hope.
-Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower w/RAAL ($2800 +shipping)
-The Philharmonic 2 w/RAAL ($2000 + shipping) but only available in black
-Salk Sound Tower w/RAAL ($2700 + shipping)
What does "w/RAAL" mean? (Sorry, maybe I'm a bit slow.)

I see that you intend to disregard the monitor vs. tower suggestion: any rationale for that?

JohnMichael
12-21-2011, 07:27 AM
What does "w/RAAL" mean? (Sorry, maybe I'm a bit slow.)

I see that you intend to disregard the monitor vs. tower suggestion: any rationale for that?

The speakers are available with a ribbon tweeter upgrade.

devuonoste
12-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Another option to check out would be the ACA Trinity offerings from Angel City Audio, or East Street Audio.

From my discussions with Tim at East Street Audio, these would be comparable to the Raal Songtowers in sound quality but are much more dynamic and would be better suited for HT than the salk speakers. Obviously take this with a grain of salt as there may be some bias from Tim, but he seemed really honest, when I asked him to compare a number of offerings and he listed pros and cons for each and never tried to sway my decision. He was bang on with his comparisons of speakers I've owned and/or listened to so I trust his judgement.