Pineapple Thief [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pineapple Thief

Finch Platte
12-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Somebody turned me on to these guys a while back, and I found two recent discs by them yesterday, both remastered. 8 Days and Variations On A Dream.

Kind of a cheap Pink Floyd/Porky Tree imitation, you may like.

Check 'em out here: PT (http://ge.tt/9A4eqLB?c)

3LB
12-20-2011, 05:43 AM
That may have been me, FP. I have their last three releases; Tightly Unwound, 3000 Days and Someone Here Is Missing. The latter is their latest and their best IMO. Tightly Unwound is ok, but a tad too reliant on sounding like modern-day Radiohead. 3000 Days is a 2-disc comp that covers their output up through '08. Other than Someone Here Is Missing, I got got no real use for older TPT - just too maudlin for me. Take the last ten Marillion albums, leave off the best songs, and you have 3000 Days. It seems their songcraft has tightened up considerably and their tendency for meandering reigned in for their last one, which still has traces of Porcupine Tree and Radiohead, but more focused songs.

They are scheduled to release another album in 2012.

Finch Platte
12-20-2011, 09:15 AM
:cornut:
That may have been me, FP. I have their last three releases; Tightly Unwound, 3000 Days and Someone Here Is Missing. The latter is their latest and their best IMO. Tightly Unwound is ok, but a tad too reliant on sounding like modern-day Radiohead. 3000 Days is a 2-disc comp that covers their output up through '08. Other than Someone Here Is Missing, I got got no real use for older TPT - just too maudlin for me. Take the last ten Marillion albums, leave off the best songs, and you have 3000 Days. It seems their songcraft has tightened up considerably and their tendency for meandering reigned in for their last one, which still has traces of Porcupine Tree and Radiohead, but more focused songs.

They are scheduled to release another album in 2012.

Thanks for the info, it was probably you that sent me los discos. I saw the double CD I posted the link to and figured I'd take a chance, seeings how Rasputin's has such a great return policy. :)

But, yeah, it's rather bland, but I can see how some in here may like it playing in the background while they do dishes (RR'ers, not Pineapple Thief :thumbsup:). Some of the songs have such rudimentary bass & drums I'm thinking maybe some of the band members are a little, uh, retarded slow?

But all's well that ends well as I took it back & got the Nevermore disc which is much higher energy and fits my tastes better. :cornut: