NOLA Jazz Fest lineup announced. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NOLA Jazz Fest lineup announced.

Swish
12-15-2011, 03:36 AM
I really need to get there again as it's been 7 years. Don't think 2012 will be the time though (sigh).

Jazz Fest 2012 (http://lineup.nojazzfest.com/)

ForeverAutumn
12-15-2011, 06:07 AM
Nice list. I'd like to check out the Jazz Fest sometime but, like you, 2012 isn't the year. It's definately on my "to do" list though.

Hyfi
12-15-2011, 06:46 AM
That is a nice list but since when are people like Tom Petty and the Eagles Jazz Artists?

Half of the people on the list don't play a lick of Jazz.

Swish
12-15-2011, 11:50 AM
That is a nice list but since when are people like Tom Petty and the Eagles Jazz Artists?

Half of the people on the list don't play a lick of Jazz.

This is not a 'Jazz' only event. I believe it's officially called the 'New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival' and includes musical acts from genres like Rock, Alt Country, Zydeco, Blues, Gospel...you name it. I was there in '01 (fantastic weather) and saw moe., Galactic, Lucinda Williams, Pete Fountain, Cowboy Mouth...and again in '04 (weather was terrible) and saw The Neville Brothers, Wynton Marsalis, Robert Cray...I can't remember any others off the top...but this takes place at an outdoor horse racing track and has 3 main stages, a blues tent and a jazz tent where all the seating is under the tent, and a bunch of smaller stages for lesser-known acts. It's a fantastic time and you just walk around and see whomever you want.

Back in '01 they set a one-day attendance record of 150,000 when Dave Matthews played. That was the only day we skipped, and I'm glad we did. Yes, it's big and lots of fun. All the stages are covered so the bands can play if it rains. In '04, the year before Katrina, they canceled the Friday event because of heavy rain the night before. The infield of the track was so muddy you couldn't walk through it. That was the first time they canceled a day in 10 years. Figures.

Stone
12-15-2011, 12:26 PM
I would go, but The Range won't be with Bruce Hornsby. Pffffft.

audiobill
12-15-2011, 04:45 PM
There are at least a dozen artists I'd love to see from that list, Swishy.

What a lineup!!

NOLA is fun & in three and a half years I will be able to go.

Swish
12-19-2011, 07:42 AM
There are at least a dozen artists I'd love to see from that list, Swishy.

What a lineup!!

NOLA is fun & in three and a half years I will be able to go.

This might be a long-shot, but would that happen to be the first year of your retirement?

audiobill
12-29-2011, 06:13 PM
This might be a long-shot, but would that happen to be the first year of your retirement?

How did you guess?? You've got that right, buddy!!

Perhaps, we will be in NOLA together for that special time - can you feel it??

Swish
12-30-2011, 05:03 AM
How did you guess?? You've got that right, buddy!!

Perhaps, we will be in NOLA together for that special time - can you feel it??

We've vowed to go back for Jazz Fest but haven't been able to put it together. Three years seems like an eternity, but it will be here before we know it. Let's make it happen buddy!