Loud TV commercials [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Loud TV commercials

Smokey
12-14-2011, 04:28 PM
WASHINGTON - US telecom regulators ordered television stations on Tuesday to turn down the volume on commercials. "The rules adopted today require that commercials have the same average volume as the programs they accompany," the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) said in a statement.

The FCC said the move was a "major step toward eliminating one of the most persistent problems of the television age -- loud commercials."

The new rules will take effect on December 13, 2012, giving television stations enough time to be in compliance, the FCC said.

US turns down volume on LOUD TV ads - Yahoo! New Zealand News (http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/technology/12344387/us-turns-down-volume-on-loud-tv-ads/)

recoveryone
12-15-2011, 08:20 AM
about time, several TV makers have tried to make apps to control this issue, but this is the step that needed to be done for decades.

TheHills44060
12-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Yes I miss that functionality on my new tv. Didn't realize how much it helped till i didn't have it anymore.

Smokey
12-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Yes I miss that functionality on my new tv. Didn't realize how much it helped till i didn't have it anymore.

The only functionality I seen on TV regrding loud ads was dynamic setting which suppose to even out the volume loudness. But it never worked.

Another problem is commercial lenght (in a given hour) have increased over the years. One hour shows used to be over 50 minutes, where now it only 42 minutes. Half hour shows used to be 25, and now it is 21 minutes long.

Feanor
12-16-2011, 05:44 AM
The only functionality I seen on TV regrding loud ads was dynamic setting which suppose to even out the volume loudness. But it never worked.

Another problem is commercial lenght (in a given hour) have increased over the years. One hour shows used to be over 50 minutes, where now it only 42 minutes. Half hour shows used to be 25, and now it is 21 minutes long.
Yeah, I could tolerate the loud ads if there were fewer ads.
:mad:

Luvin Da Blues
12-16-2011, 06:19 AM
My work around is to PVR just about everything I want to watch. Easy to skip those pesky ads.

TheHills44060
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM

Yep it was some sort of dynamic loudness auto adjuster thingy. It seemed to work on an old 32" panasonic i had. I say that because my panasonic plasma doesn't have it and i notice the loudness of commercials much more.

It could just be what you stated...commercials are simply longer now and possibly even louder.

woggysworld
12-16-2011, 05:19 PM
more subtle mind control

kendra_03
12-18-2012, 02:21 AM
WASHINGTON - US telecom regulators ordered television stations on Tuesday to turn down the volume on commercials. "The rules adopted today require that commercials have the same average volume as the programs they accompany," the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) said in a statement.

The FCC said the move was a "major step toward eliminating one of the most persistent problems of the television age -- loud commercials."

The new rules will take effect on December 13, 2012, giving television stations enough time to be in compliance, the FCC said.

US turns down volume on LOUD TV ads - Yahoo! New Zealand News (http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/technology/12344387/us-turns-down-volume-on-loud-tv-ads/)

Loud TV advertisement is pissing and a pain in the ass too. Luckily, CALM law is now regulated by FCC. On December 13th the CALM law went into impact. Under that law, it is a federal violation for broadcasters, cable providers and satellite operators to have the volume up too high during advertisements. Source of article:CALM law keeps the volume down during commercials (https://personalmoneynetwork.com/moneyblog/2012/12/14/calm-law/)