Budget System? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Budget System?

blackraven
12-11-2011, 08:13 PM
I have a friend that wants me to put together a 2ch system for about $1K for a 16x30 area. His requirements are that it must be a receiver with remote , it must use a CD changer and it must use floor stander speakers, non negotiable!

I have come up with the HK 3490 receiver on sale for $279 Plenty of high current power for a large room and a great buy at this price

The Marantz CC4003 cd changer on sale for $199

And any of the following speakers-

Wharfedale Evo2-20 for $429

Music Direct - WHARFEDALE - EVO2-20 ROSEWOOD (PR) **PHOTO SHOOT** (http://www.musicdirect.com/p-39856-wharfedale-evo2-20-rosewood-pr-photo-shoot.aspx)

Monitor Audio M4's $500pr

Monitor Audio - M4 - Tower Loudspeaker-Audio Advisor (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MRM4)

Mordaunt Short Carneval 6's $500pr

Mordaunt-Short - Carnival 6 - Tower Speaker-Audio Advisor (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MOCAR6)

Any other suggestions?

TheHills44060
12-12-2011, 03:54 AM
I really like the Wharfedale's. Never heard the Mordaunt Shorts but I'd scrap the Monitor Audio's.

Worf101
12-12-2011, 05:03 AM
Considering the economy, I'd look used on Craigslist myself or ebay. You can find some truly AMAZING used speakers sometimes for the price of new. My last ebay score speaker wise was phenomenal. For less than the price of any of your choices I scored some ADS 1290's that are flat out some of the best speakers I've ever owned and I've owned some classics in my time. Getting used requires more leg work and you may have to drive to get em BUT if you find the right set you'll be pleased in so many ways.

Worf

Ajani
12-12-2011, 10:04 AM
I have a friend that wants me to put together a 2ch system for about $1K for a 16x30 area. His requirements are that it must be a receiver with remote , it must use a CD changer and it must use floor stander speakers, non negotiable!

I have come up with the HK 3490 receiver on sale for $279 Plenty of high current power for a large room and a great buy at this price

The Marantz CC4003 cd changer on sale for $199

And any of the following speakers-

Wharfedale Evo2-20 for $429

Music Direct - WHARFEDALE - EVO2-20 ROSEWOOD (PR) **PHOTO SHOOT** (http://www.musicdirect.com/p-39856-wharfedale-evo2-20-rosewood-pr-photo-shoot.aspx)

Monitor Audio M4's $500pr

Monitor Audio - M4 - Tower Loudspeaker-Audio Advisor (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MRM4)

Mordaunt Short Carneval 6's $500pr

Mordaunt-Short - Carnival 6 - Tower Speaker-Audio Advisor (http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MOCAR6)

Any other suggestions?

The Wharfedale is likely the best bet of your options (based on the price class they come from - though I've not tried them so it's just a guess)... I think some auditioning is in order...

I also like Monitor Audio speakers, so I'd keep them on the list... MA has a great rep for affordable offerings...

Never hear the Modaunt Short, so no comment there...

I love the choice of the HK and Marantz gear...

While you're auditioning you really should listen to some of the less loved audiophile brands - I believe JBL and Klipsch have towers that might fit the budget and should be easy to audition...

blackraven
12-12-2011, 10:20 AM
My Friend does not want to buy used. I talked to him about it. He is only looking for midfi sound and something that is easy for his wife to use. I can't think of any other speakers to recommend. He does not want bookshelf's for some reason.

frenchmon
12-12-2011, 02:04 PM
The Warfedale's are being closed out. They will best the other two choices.

cjpremierfour
12-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Just throwing this out there:
A space as large as 16 X 30' will need quite the speaker for real dynamics. It will be hard finding a sub $800 speaker that may have an 8" or two 6" woofers at best to fill that large area and not sound stressed.

That being said,
Definitive Technology BP6B should fall in the $399 each range. It's a great little speaker.
You may also look at the small floorstanding Energy Connoisseur CF 30 for @ $199 each. This speaker would also require a Sub because of limited output.

I even hate saying this, but if I was on your budget, I would go after the Pioneer SP FS51 LR for $199 each ( lower on sale / Amazon carries these for $199 a pair ) and 2 of the matching subs called the SW8 for $159 (lower on sale / Amazon -$99.00) for a room that large. The Pioneer's SP series have very good reviews and will meet your budget needs.
I have heard the smaller one's and they were really nice.

blackraven
12-13-2011, 10:03 AM
My friends budget is firm at $1K. I think I will recommend the Wharfedales with the Marantz player and HK receiver. This guy is only interested in midfi sound and I think that he will get it. The combo of all three should give an warmer more forgiving sound with good punch from the HK. The price comes in under $1K. Add in some bluejeans cables and he is right at $1K. He could do a lot worse for that price.

Thanks for the replies!

manlystanley
12-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Considering the economy, I'd look used on Craigslist myself or ebay. You can find some truly AMAZING used speakers sometimes for the price of new. My last ebay score speaker wise was phenomenal. For less than the price of any of your choices I scored some ADS 1290's that are flat out some of the best speakers I've ever owned and I've owned some classics in my time. Getting used requires more leg work and you may have to drive to get em BUT if you find the right set you'll be pleased in so many ways.

Worf

The problem with mere mortals shopping for used, is we don't know a good deal from a hole in the ground. Let me give an example:

-- When I first started my speaker search I stopped at a local Salvation Army each day. Hoping to score on a good speaker. But, the problem was that I only knew speakers like: Klipsch, B&W, etc.

-- Then one day, I see this huge tall tower. The brand was "Dynaudio". I don't remember the model. I think it looked like an Dynaudio Evidence Master. And they wanted $1000 for it!!

-- I thought to myself. 'Dynaudio' sounds like such a white van special. Ha-- I will not get snookered into that.

So, before anyone says it: "I was an idiot not to buy it". The problem was that I didn't know (and still don't know) what brands / speakers are any good. As another example, I never heard of ADS before. But, I looked them up and they look like a great deal.

So more power to you!!

P.S. If you're the guy who bought these speakers at the Arlington Virginia Salvation Army--Crank up the tunes and enjoy it for me. :-(

Poultrygeist
12-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Even if you're not familar with a speaker brand the build quality, materials and heft are clues to how it will sound. A finger thump on the cab tells a lot.

Enochrome
12-18-2011, 12:50 PM
No monitors is shame, because I feel the Paradigm Titans would have been great. I feel like he's going to watch movies a bit with this set up?

JoeE SP9
12-19-2011, 08:58 AM
MS:
A good indicator of the quality/worthiness of almost any speaker is if you see the brand on Audiogon. If you don't you'll still have to do some research. If it's on Audiogon it's a good bet it's worthy of consideration.

blackraven
12-19-2011, 10:11 AM
No monitors is shame, because I feel the Paradigm Titans would have been great. I feel like he's going to watch movies a bit with this set up?

No movies, just music and radio.. He does not want to buy stands. Besides a new pair of Paradigm Titans are more than he wants to spend. I think that they are going for about $700pr here.

joe.1412
12-26-2011, 06:29 PM
wow nice man