Maggie repair ideads [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Maggie repair ideads

manlystanley
12-07-2011, 11:17 AM
I got a PM about my Maggie repair post and I thought it would be good to post it pubically for others to expand on as well:

The PM was:
>>> I read your Maggie repair posts. How did the contact cement >>>> work out? Did you use DAP? How did you know the wires
>>> were messed up?

1.) I don't know if I used DAP or not. It sounds familiar, but since I'm a old fella, my memory don't work as well as it should. But DAP Does sound familiar.

2.) One point: Make sure that you clean off the old glue first. I don't know what I used. But, I think it was paint thinner?? Make sure to use a cue-tip so that you don't mess up the other wires.

3.) When gluing them on.Try to get them directly above where the magnets are on the opposite side of the Mylar. I really had a tough time with this.

4.) "How do you know if you have a problem"? Answer: You'll hear a 'buzzing sound' at different frequency. One of the kind members of this forum pointed me to a disk that played a slowly increasing frequency. Each loose wire would 'buzz' at different frequencies.

5.) "How did it turn out" To my untrained ears it sounded fine. I eventually sold the speakers.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Stan

Feanor
12-07-2011, 11:34 AM
I got a PM about my Maggie repair post and I thought it would be good to post it pubically for others to expand on as well:

The PM was:
>>> I read your Maggie repair posts. How did the contact cement >>>> work out? Did you use DAP? How did you know the wires
>>> were messed up?

1.) I don't know if I used DAP or not. It sounds familiar, but since I'm a old fella, my memory don't work as well as it should. But DAP Does sound familiar.

2.) One point: Make sure that you clean off the old glue first. I don't know what I used. But, I think it was paint thinner?? Make sure to use a cue-tip so that you don't mess up the other wires.

3.) When gluing them on.Try to get them directly above where the magnets are on the opposite side of the Mylar. I really had a tough time with this.

4.) "How do you know if you have a problem"? Answer: You'll hear a 'buzzing sound' at different frequency. One of the kind members of this forum pointed me to a disk that played a slowly increasing frequency. Each loose wire would 'buzz' at different frequencies.

5.) "How did it turn out" To my untrained ears it sounded fine. I eventually sold the speakers.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Stan
Thanks for this, Stan.

blackraven
12-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Magnepan uses Acetone to clean the old glue off. I recently talked to them because my old pair of MMG's has a slight buzz on music with heavy bass when played loud, a sign that one of the wires is coming loose.

JoeE SP9
12-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Running a low level ~1500Hz signal through Maggies will help keep the wires centered properly. It makes gluing them down much easier.