Recent Rentals and Viewings Part Three.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent Rentals and Viewings Part Three....

Worf101
12-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Well folks time to play a little "catch up" on the movie front. Sorry Recovery but life keeps interfereing with my movie watching:

1. The Skin I'm In - B - Not a film for the squeamish or the easily offended. Almadovar is the sickest, weirdest film maker this side of David Lynch. But while Lynch has an art fartsy style that encourages you to suspend belief Almadovar's film making is so litteral that his images hit you like a frieght train. You have to see it to understand it.

2.. Source Code - C+ - Finally caught this on HBO the other night. It's an interesting premise that made for an entertaining film right up to the end when they wimp out and go for the happy happy joy joy. Pheh

3. The Adjustment Bureau C+ - Just like source code above but with an even sillier premise and sappier ending.

4. Rango - D - I've never seen as big an animation movie mess in my life. Schizophrenic can't even begin to describe this train-wreck. Avoid at ALL COSTS!

5. Season of the Witch - B-minus - A far better sword and sorcery/dark ages tale than I expected. Nick (the mumbler) Cage was more than adequate and the witch was nice to look at.

6. Priest - C- Minus - Another graphic novel turned movie turd. Un-original, un-inspiring and worse yet... BORING!!!

7. Ondine - B-Minus - A lyrical tale of men and mermaids, love and luck. When you pull something from the ocean it isn't always as it seems.

8. Thor - B - I should recuse myself from this one being the Merry Marvel Maniac that I am but this one was a hoot. Again as with Captain America, I'm enthralled seeing a boyhood hero come to life. Superb job of direction to by Kevin Brannaugh.

9, Limitless - B-Minus - This one came out about the same time as Source Code and Adjustment Bureau but it far more plausible and interesting a tale than those other two. Not great, but pretty good.

10. X-Men First Class - B+ - The best superheor movie no one saw. Had they spent half as much money floggin this film as they did that turd called The Green Lantern" it'd made some coin. Still this is about the best origin pic I've seen in a quite a while.

Well, enough for today...

Worf

noddin0ff
12-08-2011, 04:46 AM
Thanks Wooch. I needed some new ideas for watching and riding the commuter rail. Those last three sound perfect. Actually, I really want to see Almadovar's too but that doesn't seem like the right movie to watch when sitting shoulder to shoulder with strangers.

I'm gonna argue slightly on Rango. Yes, I agree they ruined it with over the top mayhem and bad star wars action references during the mayhem scenes. But, I loved the really really good animation, the odd ball characters, the tongue in cheek western style, the surreal inner life of Rango and definitely Depp's voicing. For me it was more of a great first half, train wreck in the 3rd quarter flying action scenes, and an above average close kind of movie.

kexodusc
12-08-2011, 05:02 AM
Concise and honest as always, Worf..thanks.
Agree with you on Thor and X-Men...way better than the Fantastic 4 and some of the other films they've made...Given the grades, are Source Code/Adjustment Bureau worth a watch on a lonely afternoon at least, or should I finally fix that squeaky hinge on the closet door?

recoveryone
12-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Source Code, is about right, but it has potenial, worth one viewing for sure

I may have to give X-men another looksee, and Worf is right about the press, they really didn't push it. Now I have to differ on Priest, I thought with the mix of vampires, martial arts, and in general being a badass that it was a good Saturday evening flick.

Worf101
12-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks Wooch. I needed some new ideas for watching and riding the commuter rail. Those last three sound perfect. Actually, I really want to see Almadovar's too but that doesn't seem like the right movie to watch when sitting shoulder to shoulder with strangers.

I'm gonna argue slightly on Rango. Yes, I agree they ruined it with over the top mayhem and bad star wars action references during the mayhem scenes. But, I loved the really really good animation, the odd ball characters, the tongue in cheek western style, the surreal inner life of Rango and definitely Depp's voicing. For me it was more of a great first half, train wreck in the 3rd quarter flying action scenes, and an above average close kind of movie.WTF? Am I that non-descript. My Klingon Blood cries out for VENGEANCE!!!! How dare you confuse a son of the House of Mough with a... a human!!!! Whose not even from STARFLEET!!!!!! Oh the humanity....

Da "Don't you Dare Call me Wooch" Worfster!!!

Mr Peabody
12-09-2011, 03:15 PM
I need to catch a couple of those myself.

I agree on Rango, my kids didn't even get too into it. However, I didn't like the Xmean movie that much, I thought the Wolverene movie was better and the 2nd Xmen is still my favorite.

noddin0ff
12-10-2011, 12:08 PM
WTF? Am I that non-descript. My Klingon Blood cries out for VENGEANCE!!!! How dare you confuse a son of the House of Mough with a... a human!!!! Whose not even from STARFLEET!!!!!! Oh the humanity....

Da "Don't you Dare Call me Wooch" Worfster!!!

Oh. wow! I can't believe I did that and didn't notice. Put me in a red shirt and beam me down with the crew!

...my kid didn't like Rango either. Clearly, its just me that like it.