Black Bag anyone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Black Bag anyone?

daviethek
12-05-2011, 12:21 PM
I have asked this question before but I will assume many more new members now to help me. I have a pair of "Black Bag" Speakers. They are a 6 inch 2 way and they are innefficient
( 87dB ). They have been in daily use in a bedroom system for 27 years. They are magnificent in the near field and maybe sort of average from 10-12 feet away. .
My only memeories are that they came in a black plastic bag, had an insignia of a crumpled bag and were only available in black. the construction is thick plywood and fit and finish is excellent so I assume they were high end. Cloth tweeter and rubber edge woofer. I thought I remember something about them being Canadian, but after contacting practically every speaker maker, no shop would claim it. Is this stirring up any memories?

Thanks and a joyous Christmas to all. I still enjoy the audiotalk on this site when it is gentlemanly.

Daviethek

JohnMichael
12-05-2011, 12:29 PM
I have asked this question before but I will assume many more new members now to help me. I have a pair of "Black Bag" Speakers. They are a 6 inch 2 way and they are innefficient
( 87dB ). They have been in daily use in a bedroom system for 27 years. They are magnificent in the near field and maybe sort of average from 10-12 feet away. .
My only memeories are that they came in a black plastic bag, had an insignia of a crumpled bag and were only available in black. the construction is thick plywood and fit and finish is excellent so I assume they were high end. Cloth tweeter and rubber edge woofer. I thought I remember something about them being Canadian, but after contacting practically every speaker maker, no shop would claim it. Is this stirring up any memories?

Thanks and a joyous Christmas to all. I still enjoy the audiotalk on this site when it is gentlemanly.

Daviethek

I was thinking they were from England.

daviethek
12-12-2011, 08:04 PM
I was thinking they were from England.

Maybe JM, I'll start a fresh search there. Cheers, Dave

infinitebit
01-15-2012, 12:31 PM
I purchased my pair of Black Bag speakers back in 1987 from "For The Groove" in Toronto. The retailer was also listed as the distributor so it may have started as a house brand. The pair I have does not even have a product label on the back. From what I was told and after some research, it appears these speakers use the same Polydax drivers as the Spica TC50.

Here is the information from an old Canadian buyers guide.

1" Dome tweeter, 6 1/2" Woofer
60Hz - 20kHz +/- 3db, 86 dB Sensitivity
Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
Min/Max Power: 25w / 150w (1987 edition of guide), 15w / 100w (1989 edition of guide)
Notes: Near-field Pro Monitor, 18db/octave crossover