Final Five Please - Your Choice/Rationale [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Final Five Please - Your Choice/Rationale

audiobill
12-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Alright - aside from the political bent of such a list, as the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductees and the bump in music sales it provides to recipients - who deserves to win the 5 coveted spots from the 15 shortlisted?

Let the gloves come off & tell us who you'd like to make it in!!

Final Five Please.

The nominees are:
· Beastie Boys
· The Cure
· Donovan
· Eric B. & Rakim
· Guns 'N Roses
· Heart
· Joan Jett and The Blackhearts
· Freddie King
· Laura Nyro
· Red Hot Chili Peppers
· Rufus with Chaka Khan
· The Small Faces/The Faces
· The Spinners
· Donna Summer
· War

Rae
12-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Beastie Boys, Eric B & Rakim, Heart, Rufus with Chaka Khan, Donna Summer

I'm surprised that Heart and Chaka Khan aren't already enshrined. The other three seem the most influential to me from what's left over. Donna Summer probably more than the others.

~Rae

Swish
12-04-2011, 04:47 PM
I think the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame has made some goofy choices in the past and have inducted some questionable artists. No way Guns 'N Roses should be considered, nor should Joan Jett or the Chili Peppers. Donavan and rock shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Beastie Boys
The Cure
Eric B. & Rakim
Freddie King
The Spinners

unleasHell
12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Cure and Donovan

The rest of them don't deserve entry...

jonnyhambone
12-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Well, I definitely listen to the Cure and Laura Nyro more than anyone else on that list but I guess if we're talking R&R Hall of Fame, my nod would be for:
Donna Summer
The Cure
Beastie Boys
Heart

MasterCylinder
12-05-2011, 05:20 AM
alright - aside from the political bent of such a list, as the rock & roll hall of fame inductees and the bump in music sales it provides to recipients - who deserves to win the 5 coveted spots from the 15 shortlisted?

Let the gloves come off & tell us who you'd like to make it in!!

Final five please.

The nominees are:
· beastie boys
· the cure
· donovan
· eric b. & rakim
· guns 'n roses
· heart
· joan jett and the blackhearts
· freddie king
· laura nyro
· red hot chili peppers
· rufus with chaka khan
· the small faces/the faces
· the spinners
· donna summer
· war

donovan
heart
freddie king
joan jett
faces

Stone
12-05-2011, 05:35 AM
· Beastie Boys (put out at least 3 great albums, and a number of good ones, but the work and influence of Paul's Boutique should put them over the top)
· The Cure (these guys were the biggest college/alternative act (save maybe The Smiths) in the 80s and put out some great work
· Red Hot Chili Peppers (influential in the rock/rap days and while not consistently good in my eyes, have stood the test of time)
· Heart (I'm not a big fan, but looking at their body of work and popularity in the 70s and 80s, it's hard to argue against them being in)
· Rufus with Chaka Khan (their stuff is still listenable today, despite much of it being released in the disco era)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
· Donovan (too much of a Dylan wannabe and not consistently good)
· Eric B. & Rakim (not sure they were prolific enough)
· Guns 'N Roses (not a big enough body of work)
· Joan Jett and The Blackhearts (popularity was based mostly on covers)
· Freddie King
· Laura Nyro
· The Small Faces/The Faces
· The Spinners
· Donna Summer (close one, and she will likely make it based on her popularity)
· War

kexodusc
12-05-2011, 06:25 AM
Beastie Boys
The Cure
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Freddie King
Guns N Roses

I think these guys influenced the music world (and still do) more than all the others. For better or worse. G n R should be there...their reach and impact globally can't be denied.

Mr MidFi
12-05-2011, 06:28 AM
· Beastie Boys (put out at least 3 great albums, and a number of good ones, but the work and influence of Paul's Boutique should put them over the top)
· The Cure (these guys were the biggest college/alternative act (save maybe The Smiths) in the 80s and put out some great work
· Red Hot Chili Peppers (influential in the rock/rap days and while not consistently good in my eyes, have stood the test of time)
· Heart (I'm not a big fan, but looking at their body of work and popularity in the 70s and 80s, it's hard to argue against them being in)
· Rufus with Chaka Khan (their stuff is still listenable today, despite much of it being released in the disco era)

Stone has it 80% right.

I would say that, in broad and subjective terms, Donna Summer was simply a bigger deal than Chaka Khan in that era and deserves Hall recognition.

3LB
12-05-2011, 10:07 AM
I'll choose Donna Summer over Rufus/Chaka Kahn.

Beasties - may as well
Heart - warm-up act for many bands that should already be there
The Spinners - can't believe they're not already there
The Cure - as deserving as RHCP

Simply because these acts please me. All the acts on this list qualify under the Hall's loose interpretations and arbitrary selections of the past.

Its gotta be said, this institution grows more questionable by the year with regards to the acts that aren't there already.

nobody
12-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm gonna hafta go against the grain a bit here and say to me the easiest call here was <b>Joan Jett</b> deserving inclusion. Between her stuff with the Runaways and her solo work she was a real pioneer and role model for female rock stars and remains an icon to this day. I think she's an obvious yes.

My other four would be: <b>Donna Summer</b> (another iconic artist), <b>The Spinners</b> (probably for no other reason than I just really like them), <b>Beastie Boys</b> (first white rappers with a deep catalog of innovative work), and <b>The Cure</b> (a genre-defining group[ that's put pout a lot of strong material over a lot of years).

I considered swapping out one of the above for either Eric B & Rakim, but declined since they really only have one important album, or the Faces. War was interesting and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get if for no other reason than being ground breakers in bringing more Latin rhythms to rock and roll. Also thought about Heart as well as Rufus & Chaka Khan. Interesting year. Not a lot of slam dunks but not a lot of crap either.

Stone
12-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Guns 'n Roses, but not The Cure. What a joke.

audiobill
12-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Guns 'n Roses, but not The Cure. What a joke.

Thanks, Stone, for prompting me to check the 2012 inductees:

Guns N' Roses, Donovan, Laura Nyro, Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Beastie Boys, the Small Faces/The Faces.

Well - there you have it.

Shame about the Cure. Tough choices this year, from a pretty decent roster.

3LB
12-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Wow, not even War?
No rant here, I'm so over worrying about who Jan Wenner thinks is cool.